ftp server help!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ftp server help!!!!

alright, so i tried setting up an ftp server last night, but i hit some bumps in the road.

i *have* set up an ftp before, while i was still in school, but the one that im trying to run at home is giving me grief.

basically, i think the problem is my internet connection... i have an AT&T Cable internet connection that i have connected to a Linksys router. then it splits off to my 3 computers hooked up within the house. the problem is that i cant connect to the FTP from an outside computer. The IP address doesnt work when you try to connect to my computer...

the FTP server program posts the IP address when you start the program. It matches the IP address that i find when i do WINIPCFG. but, if i go online and go to one of those "what is my ip address?" webpages, i get a different IP address than what my computer claims to be. im pretty sure this is because of the router...

but does anyone know how to configure it so i can figure out my IP address so i can actually connect to my computer when im at work or at a friends house?

~Mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

your linksys router will have a public ip. Then your three computer behind it will have a private ip, like 192.169.1.100

Now in order to connect to your ftp site you need to config the linkysys router to forward ports 20 and 21 to your private IP for your ftp server. Once you have done that you ftp to your public ip and it should get forwarded internal.

Also make sure you have active mode set instead of passive. If you have passive.. then you need to forward more ports.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

great!!!

i will check on my settings when i get home...

yeah, after i posted that message, i started thinking a bit harder on the router settings. it makes sense... i was just too tired to think straight last night when i was trying to set this up.

thanks
      ~Mike
      Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
      PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
      2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

HOWEVER, things will get weird when you try to access your server from behind another NAT router. It may or may not work. FTP was never really designed for this, and can often be troublesome when run through multiple NATs. There is no real way to get around this except running your FTP server on a machine with a public IP.
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

ya whenever I need to connect to a router that is bhind a NAT and I'm also in the NAT i just connect to the private IP.
          '98 Explorer Sport
          http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
          AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
          80% done

Comment

another thing to think of, is that AT&T might block ports 20,21 because they dont want people running ftp servers from their home computers. Try setting up the server on a really high port number, 31584, or anyhting around there, 31XXX.
            Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
            Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
            '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

Working...
            X