Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you guys dealing with mp3car, the business?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you guys dealing with mp3car, the business?

i've been having serious problems with Mp3car, the company. has anyone else had issues? i'm NOT trying to start a trash-talking thread - i'm trying to figure out a solution. I cannot get what i need from dealing with them and the two-day turnaround email time.

has anyone else found a successful way to deal with them (i.e. to get them to reply in a reasonable time, get what you want, have them ship what you want when you order it, etc...)?

i've been trying to source a GPS antenna for my old Infill G4, and they ship me a remote control. problem is, i was explicitly told via email that even though the page i'm ordering from listed a remote control, that i'd be getting a GPS antenna. sure enough, i get the remote control when package arrives.

anyway, no phone number listed & the 2-3 day turnaround on remail responses is completely unacceptable. what did you guys use to get through to them? frankly after spending close to $3k with this company in the past, i'm not very satisfied. i realize something went down between mp3car & Infill, but is that my fault? When i purchased this, they were the distributor & seller, and had no qualms about charging me so much for the unit. The fact that they won't support the Infill owners after selling so many of them to us is very poor business IMO.

and why can't they have a phone number? doesn't have to be a 24/hour 1'800 number, but at least a regular number we could call during business hours with questions or problems like this?

if you have a line on how to get a hold of them, please let me know. sending a PM is ok as well, i am more interested in getting this solved than starting trouble
    <.>

Originally posted by ABTsportsline View Post
    and why can't they have a phone number? doesn't have to be a 24/hour 1'800 number, but at least a regular number we could call during business hours with questions or problems like this?

if you have a line on how to get a hold of them, please let me know. sending a PM is ok as well, i am more interested in getting this solved than starting trouble
    Let me first say.. i dont work for the company, but the reason they got rid of the contact number was because they would get all kinds of tech support calls for products not even purchased from mp3car. It would cost entirely too much to have someone on the phone lines all day answering "what carpc should i by" and "How do i install this". You may get a faster response by PMing Fiberoptic(Robert) or Heather with your concern.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

i'll PM them, thanks.

i will say that their phone reasoning is very poor. best buy doesn't disconnect their phones when people have tech questions on the electronics they buy there - they just direct people to the manufacturer or explain they aren't a tech support line. how hard would it be for someone at mp3car to say that on the phone?

given that mp3car does sell their homemade pieced-together kits, they should offer tech support. this should be part of a basic business model. if mp3car insists on maintaining operating how they do now, they probably should bring that to our attention before we order assuming they're a legitimate company. When i ordered, they did have a phone. removing it later just highlights the potential illigitimacy or scam environment.
      <.>

Comment

i will say that their phone reasoning is very poor. best buy doesn't disconnect their phones when people have tech questions on the electronics they buy there - they just direct people to the manufacturer or explain they aren't a tech support line. how hard would it be for someone at mp3car to say that on the phone?.
        That's it, I've had it with this company. I called mp3car and when I simply asked them how to rewire the felangy on my resistive inflexidy touchscreen they said they don't do tech support and that I should look elsewhere.....WTF? Is this company supporting their own product or what??????? Help me out peoples! **

My rebuttal to your above quoted text is that they'd probably have a lot of this type of threads on these forums. Win some, lose some.

**The above scenario is fictional and any relations to names/places that may/may not exist is completely coincidental. Should you attempt to recover damages caused by my post, I will set a horde of locusts to your town and force America to bring democracy to your country.
        Ampie Case
        2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
        Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
        Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

PM Goce. Rob and Heather are out of the country for a week. Also, include your phone number and ask them to call you.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

well, within reason obviously. i know what point you're trying to make, but let's be real. that's an issue that they obviously won't be able to assist with. but given they sell kits that DO require setup & configuration, i don't think it would be too crazy to offer some sort of help.

in all reality, it's a giant cop-out.

but i have received an email reply to my inquiry today in record time (from Stephen), so i'm appreciative of that. my specific issue is pretty much put to bed, but the overall issue is still of concern. :beer:
            <.>

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
              That's it, I've had it with this company. I called mp3car and when I simply asked them how to rewire the felangy on my resistive inflexidy touchscreen they said they don't do tech support and that I should look elsewhere.....WTF? Is this company supporting their own product or what??????? Help me out peoples! **

My rebuttal to your above quoted text is that they'd probably have a lot of this type of threads on these forums. Win some, lose some.

**The above scenario is fictional and any relations to names/places that may/may not exist is completely coincidental. Should you attempt to recover damages caused by my post, I will set a horde of locusts to your town and force America to bring democracy to your country.
              lol its funny.. but that is EXACTLY the type of calls they get i'm sure. And you cant really compare a company like mp3car (less than 10 employees) to besy buy. Besides, when is the last time you heard of someone calling best buy to ask how do i install this car stereo i bought in my car. Best buy doesnt offer tech support on everything they sell. What would you like them to do .. hire someone and pay them 30k a year to answer phone calls which have little to nothing to do with what they sell? A small company couldn't stay in business working like that. Fact is Mp3car's first layer of "tech support" is the very forum you are posting in.

I know none of these really pertains to your problem. Just have a little patience. I know first hand that there are people working for the company that strive to provide solutions to problems such as the one you're having. Shoot them a PM, and be patient because it just so happens that they're in Russia for the next week or so.

EDIT-

Little late to the party.. Glad your issue is resolved
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

well, within reason obviously. i know what point you're trying to make, but let's be real. that's an issue that they obviously won't be able to assist with. but given they sell kits that DO require setup & configuration, i don't think it would be too crazy to offer some sort of help.

in all reality, it's a giant cop-out.

but i have received an email reply to my inquiry today in record time (from Stephen), so i'm appreciative of that. my specific issue is pretty much put to bed, but the overall issue is still of concern. :beer:
                You're not the only one who has voiced these concerns, and I'm sure you won't be the last.

I agree with you that the lack of phone support is a cop-out.
                The fact that they offer no pre-sales support or assistance is even worse.

I understand that they need to focus on paid customers installing products purchased from mp3car.com. They should also understand that all of the products they sell are designed to work in conjunction with other products & systems that they do not sell, by the very nature of the products.

2-3 days for a response when you have a problem is unacceptable.
                However, Heather & Rob seem to think it's perfectly acceptable business practice.

Personally, I suggest taking your business elsewhere, assuming you haven't already made purchases from mp3car. There are other vendors that sell the same products, and will be more than happy to answer questions and assist in any way they can... Even over the phone...
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                  You're not the only one who has voiced these concerns, and I'm sure you won't be the last.

I agree with you that the lack of phone support is a cop-out.
                  The fact that they offer no pre-sales support or assistance is even worse.

I understand that they need to focus on paid customers installing products purchased from mp3car.com. They should also understand that all of the products they sell are designed to work in conjunction with other products & systems that they do not sell, by the very nature of the products.

2-3 days for a response when you have a problem is unacceptable.
                  However, Heather & Rob seem to think it's perfectly acceptable business practice.

Personally, I suggest taking your business elsewhere, assuming you haven't already made purchases from mp3car. There are other vendors that sell the same products, and will be more than happy to answer questions and assist in any way they can... Even over the phone...
                  that's the mp3car.com award winning attitude I like to see!
                  Ampie Case
                  2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                  256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                  Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                  Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                  M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

This issue has been brought up a bunch... hopefully the do something about it.

I'll agree that PMing Rob or Heather would be the way to start. Or hell even Goce (Ecog) since he's still in the office this next week.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Looks like the issue was resolved.

I'm not defending the practice of having no phone support, it is a business decision that they have made and these are some of the consequences. On the other hand it is pretty clearly stated that they don't provide phone support and that it takes 2-3 business days to respond.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I don't know if i'm the only one here who hasn't had any issues with mp3car.com. I've bought a lot from them but i've never got anything that was like broken and i actually had to contact them so maybe that is where i lack the experience. It would be nice if they offered some sort of phone support even if its you send them an email and ur number and they call you when they feel its an acceptable request. Maybe not even a phone call maybe live support via IMs. Something would be nice.
                        ~The Build Process Begins~
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/newb...you-think.html

~The Build Process Ends~
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...completed.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bxsteez View Post
                          I don't know if i'm the only one here who hasn't had any issues with mp3car.com. I've bought a lot from them but i've never got anything that was like broken and i actually had to contact them so maybe that is where i lack the experience. It would be nice if they offered some sort of phone support even if its you send them an email and ur number and they call you when they feel its an acceptable request. Maybe not even a phone call maybe live support via IMs. Something would be nice.
                          Heather has stated this in the times I've brought up their shoddy customer service: 99% of the time, they get it right.
                          That's true in most retail operations, though. Shoot, the retailer I work for sells clothing. While the product is substantially different, the retail mentality is (or should be, in this case) pretty much the same.

You have two basic types of customers:
                          - The customer that knows what they want and simply purchase it from the retailer they choose. These customers will typically support the product themselves or can use the product with the aid of documentation, instructions, etc. Most of the vehicle computing hobby community is this type of customer. We're not going to complain about a product unless it is not working as intended or at all.
                          These customers are usually the customers that make up the 99% of the times that mp3car.com gets it right. A simple purchase and the product works. The customer is happy.

- The customer that is completely clueless or has specific needs that they don't know how to meet. These customers need some handholding and advice. These are the customers that want a voice on the other end of the phone when they call a retailer asking what product(s) would be best for a certain situation. These are the people that go into Lowe's or Home Depot with only a project and start asking questions of the salespeople to find out what they need.
                          There are those types of customers in this hobby, as well, but they are probably not the majority. However, as vehicle computing becomes mroe and more popular, more and more "average joe" types will want to get involved, despite the fact that they don't understand the computer, how to build one, or have ever installed even an aftermarket headunit.

It's the second type of customer that are driven away by the lack of customer service that mp3car.com provides. This has been pointed out to Rob & Heather many, many times over the past couple years, at least.
                          Nothing has changed.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                            Heather has stated this in the times I've brought up their shoddy customer service: 99% of the time, they get it right.
                            That's true in most retail operations, though. Shoot, the retailer I work for sells clothing. While the product is substantially different, the retail mentality is (or should be, in this case) pretty much the same.

You have two basic types of customers:
                            - The customer that knows what they want and simply purchase it from the retailer they choose. These customers will typically support the product themselves or can use the product with the aid of documentation, instructions, etc. Most of the vehicle computing hobby community is this type of customer. We're not going to complain about a product unless it is not working as intended or at all.
                            These customers are usually the customers that make up the 99% of the times that mp3car.com gets it right. A simple purchase and the product works. The customer is happy.

- The customer that is completely clueless or has specific needs that they don't know how to meet. These customers need some handholding and advice. These are the customers that want a voice on the other end of the phone when they call a retailer asking what product(s) would be best for a certain situation. These are the people that go into Lowe's or Home Depot with only a project and start asking questions of the salespeople to find out what they need.
                            There are those types of customers in this hobby, as well, but they are probably not the majority. However, as vehicle computing becomes mroe and more popular, more and more "average joe" types will want to get involved, despite the fact that they don't understand the computer, how to build one, or have ever installed even an aftermarket headunit.

It's the second type of customer that are driven away by the lack of customer service that mp3car.com provides. This has been pointed out to Rob & Heather many, many times over the past couple years, at least.
                            Nothing has changed.
                            i would have to agree 100% with you DP, but they could at least have a phone number for warranty support, i'm not saying that not supporting the products they sell is acceptable but i had to wait 2 weeks before i even got an RMA number because even though they have a phone number (found it using google, under an alias company) and voice mail they don't return calls, even when it's not for technical support.
                            Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

I understand the issue many folks have with the lack of a phone support option.

But I do understand the decision to NOT do phone support MP3Car has made up to this point as well.

Personally, I think there are a few factors people need to understand:
                              1) they are a SMALL business in a market with fairly slim margins. (To be able to even compete with the plethora of other vendors out there on price, they don't profit much per item sold.)
                              2) The Car Computer market is a bleeding-edge niche market, like overclocking and water cooling computers both were in their times. Our being right on the Bleeding Edge of technology (in use) is both fun and problematic: hardware is often first version with bugs, and even stuff that is completely stable IN ONE CONFIGURATION may be nearly hopeless in another. If they had to field phone calls from every person who had any issue with a part purchased from MP3Car, regardless of manufacturer or the cause of the error.... well, that would be one hell of a lot of support calls, I expect.

This is bleeding edge, folks, and there are difficulties that arise from that. Sorry.
                              If you want an automotive system that has gps, music and is 100% reliable, have a stereo installed and buy a standalone gps from Garmin, TomTom or one of the others.

I do not mean to be insulting with this post, but over the years I have seen exactly the same thing happen with support issues for computer hardware oriented toward overclocking- which USED to instantly void warrantees- and water cooling components back when they were becoming "mainstream."

Note that I am not saying that a lack of phone support is a wonderful thing, but it is what it is, and it is part of the cost of doing business here.

Personally, having become a small bit involved in this hobby, and wanting to help these folks WHO PROVIDE THE SERVICE OF THIS FORUM FREE a small bit, I plan on buying parts for my carpc here as much as possible in the future, even if it costs a few bucks more at times.

Comment

Working...
                              X