Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car PC's, illegal ?

Hello,

A friend of mine is stating that a "CarPC" installed in a vehicle is illegal. I live in Michigan, USA and have not heard of any such laws accept for maybe relavent to cell phone use while driving. The reason I started this thread is because this friend of mine is not someone who just talks out of their ***! LOL.

Is anyone out their with any knowledge on this subject ? I thought this was worth mentioning.

C'ya

Leo

well.. this time your friend is talking out of his ***. otherwise any navigation unit on the market would be illegal because there all basically computers of a sort.

There are laws out there that would apply, but they deal with flicker rate while driving.. meaning as long as your not watching a video while your driving you have no need to worries. this topic has been discussed here before somewhere if you search.
    MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
    M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
    7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
    Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
    Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

Here in Va where they try to make every vehicle mod illegal. Car Pc's are legal unless like your watching a moive.(like stated above)

Comment

Check your state law.
        Most states outlaw moving images visible from the driver's seat, but leave a lot for interpretation.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

have you seen some of the systems that come in new and higher end cars these days... im a mechanic and run across an assortment of cars and some of the nav - a/v systems have tons of options and tones of buttons and controls that would be just like having a carpc... the only difference between them and a pc is that they usually have blocks on videos with driving and some you cant change the nav options while moving.

Comment

most people just bypass those blocks anyways.
            They just want to play their music videos on all their screens while cruisin' around.

Comment

I think anything that obstructs field of view is most likely illegal, so if your screen does that, it may be.

Comment

Try this. It's been discussed before.

The usual U.S. laws that apply are not specific to car PC's. They usually prohibit moving images in the view of the driver and require that they not block the field of view.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I would be very interested in hearing how a CarPC is supposed to be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdakota98 View Post
                    Here in Va where they try to make every vehicle mod illegal. Car Pc's are legal unless like your watching a moive.(like stated above)
                    VA? Are you joking? Unless you are talking about neons I have no idea what you are talking about. There are no state emissions tests and i've never heard of anyone getting pulled over in most areas for dark tint or no front plate (many people with T/As keep covers over them).

It doesnt get much more slack than VA. All they ever really check for in inspections is bald tires and broken bulbs.
                    Acer Netbook with 160hdd and 1.60 Ghtz atom - to be installed

Comment

Originally posted by Flaring_Afro View Post
                      VA? Are you joking? Unless you are talking about neons I have no idea what you are talking about. There are no state emissions tests and i've never heard of anyone getting pulled over in most areas for dark tint or no front plate (many people with T/As keep covers over them).

It doesnt get much more slack than VA. All they ever really check for in inspections is bald tires and broken bulbs.
                      What part of VA are you in? I'd like to go there.

Comment

Ok a little common sense does apply to this topic. Very good points when it comes to field of view and moving images. I will do a little more research on this and let you all know.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaring_Afro View Post

lol you must be from southwest, VA. In northern Virginia they are very strict with modifications, tint, n such. We also have bi-yearly emissions inspections up here and yearly safety checks that are very stringent.
                          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Per the local PD here in my area as long as the device does not obstruct the field of view as previously mentioned it is not illegal.

Comment

North Australia - Laws / Conditions

Im not to sure about the laws exactly here, But living in australia it seems to follow the basic rule that no moving, distracting images can be displayed while the car is in motion.

The main rule/law here is that the device can display such visual effects such as movies but the handbrake must be applied.

But either way, When it comes to taking the car to the MVR (Motor Vehicle Registry) they simply dont know what to check on the unit and pass it the second they see it is a custom installation.

I have attached a copy of the regulations that were sent to me from the NT MVR (Northern Australia Motor Vehicle Registry) which as long as they comply with this document then it should pass a inspection....
                              Attached Files
                              2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
                              Base System = Raspberry Pi
                              Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

Working...
                              X