Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalled and smoking

Hi all,

I am new at this forum, so I hope that I am in the right section....I took my car for an oil change yesterday, today after about 80 km of driving the car stalls on the highway without warning whatsoever, under the hood the smoke is bellowing out. Had a look at the oil dip stick turns out there is not a drop of oil!!. The plug is in place and there is no clear evidence of leakage under the engine where the car had been parked overnight. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might have happened? How can I tell if I might need a new engine altogether?

Grateful for any comments....

Thanks in advance

If there isnt any signs of leakage, one has to ask if they refilled it after they finished draining the old.

Comment

Originally posted by Disefyl View Post
      If there isnt any signs of leakage, one has to ask if they refilled it after they finished draining the old.
      Gotta be it... I'd take it back to your mechanic... have them look for a leak too. Be nice about it, and maybe they'll give you a nice coupon for next time or something.

Comment

driving without oil is a great way to destroy the engine. you may be looking at a total rebuild or replacement depending on how much damage was done. did the car start again after filling up the oil?

Comment

This is why I always do my own oil changes

Comment

Originally posted by csfile View Post
            This is why I always do my own oil changes
            I always take mine in to get it done "professionally"... this way if someone screws up it's not me.
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
              I always take mine in to get it done "professionally"... this way if someone screws up it's not me.
              That and they have free popcorn and cookies.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                I always do it myself, that way I know it's done right, I know I get the right brand and weight of oil, I know I get the right oil filter, I save money, but most of all, I know it's done right.

Plus, the "professionals" aren't always that. Often it's the "new guy" who's still in school, isn't a real mechanic, and isn't paid very well doing the oil changes. Depending on where you go, of course. Get a "professional" to change your oil at your own risk.

Comment

Yeah but if they screw up, you can say "hey you screwed up". Liability of screwing up my car is worth more to me than the $19.99 they charge. That and I get a kick out of the techs bewilderment of the CarPC.

"Dude that thing sounded like my laptop when it turned off"...
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by gypsyjade View Post
                    Hi all,

I am new at this forum, so I hope that I am in the right section....I took my car for an oil change yesterday, today after about 80 km of driving the car stalls on the highway without warning whatsoever, under the hood the smoke is bellowing out. Had a look at the oil dip stick turns out there is not a drop of oil!!. The plug is in place and there is no clear evidence of leakage under the engine where the car had been parked overnight. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might have happened? How can I tell if I might need a new engine altogether?

Grateful for any comments....

Thanks in advance
                    They forgot to put oil in it. Who knows whether there is damage to the engine or not? It could be that the engine will run fine after being filled with oil, or it won't, or awhile later parts will wear out much sooner than expected due to excess wear.

Make sure you get it documented in a way that you can come back to them later if there are oil related problems.

One thing you can do is to get them to settle with you upfront. Ask them for a number you think is big enough to repair the engine if it goes south and tell them you will sign a waiver to any future claims. If they refuse, tell them you hope you won't see them in court because it will cost a lot more than a new engine to meet with them there.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                      One thing you can do is to get them to settle with you upfront. Ask them for a number you think is big enough to repair the engine if it goes south and tell them you will sign a waiver to any future claims. If they refuse, tell them you hope you won't see them in court because it will cost a lot more than a new engine to meet with them there.
                      NICE. I like this idea - when the "professionals" didn't finish the job and left my coolant low, engine never smoked but luckily I noticed the temp gauge being VERY HIGH and was able to pull over right away and let it cool down.

Car work is VERY YMMV, some people have someone they can take it to that is honest and will treat 'em right, some don't. I thought I did and learned the hard way.
                      FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                      My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

I always do my own work when I have the time because I have had the same thing happen. Yes they may be liable for their mistakes; however, the inconvenience of forcing them to fix it is enraging. Also, I dont have to listen to a sales pitch for every @!#$ filter/fluid that "needs" replacing.

Comment

I always do my own work when I have the time because I have had the same thing happen. Yes they may be liable for their mistakes; however, the inconvenience of forcing them to fix it is enraging. Also, I dont have to listen to a sales pitch for every @!#$ filter/fluid that "needs" replacing.
                          on the plus side, if you listen to them, you will get your engine, trans, and diff flushed every 3k mi, and new wiper blades...
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                          X