Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 months camping trip, yellowstone, lake tahoe, grand canyon, los angeles, mexico.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months camping trip, yellowstone, lake tahoe, grand canyon, los angeles, mexico.

i am planning a 6 months camping trip by foot, i want arrive to yellowstone in march 2010, stay there for a couple of months, then head towards lake tahou towards the summer, stay a about a month there, then head to the grand canyon for another month. afterwards head to los angeles all by foot. then a car or bus to mexico, from there return florida by boat either directly or through the dominican republic. the plan is to stay as far away from people and society as possible.
    i dont know the laws and the rules in the states in going to visit. so i have many question and may-b some of you can answer some of them.
    do i HAVE to "rent" a campground for every night or can i just camp out wherver i want in the forests and mountains ?
    can i build myself a cabin like home in the forests ?
    can i travel with a riffle across the states ?
    are there any limitations on crossbows ?
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
    >"Say what you mean and mean what you say"<

There are way too many governmental jurisdictions to make broad generalizations. Everything from no camping except in designated areas and limitations on firearms to camp just about anywhere you want.

I doubt there is anywhere on public land you can just build a cabin though. I get the impression you might be thinking you will live off the land; those days are long gone.

I'd say you need to do a lot more homework; there is a vast amount of data on the net. For example, have you looked at the temperatures in Yellowstone Park in March as a starting point?

Comment

Originally posted by Alanh View Post
      There are way too many governmental jurisdictions to make broad generalizations. Everything from no camping except in designated areas and limitations on firearms to camp just about anywhere you want.

I doubt there is anywhere on public land you can just build a cabin though. I get the impression you might be thinking you will live off the land; those days are long gone.

I'd say you need to do a lot more homework; there is a vast amount of data on the net. For example, have you looked at the temperatures in Yellowstone Park in March as a starting point?

And there are only so many times you can have venison in a row... Also bringing your rifle into Mexico or the DR wont go over well.

Since everything is privately owned now I doubt you will be able to build things on their land whether it be Mr. Johnson's or Uncle Sam's. Sounds like you have some problems, just go to a therapist, or take a vacation somewhere and live in a cabin somewhere you dont speak the language. Far enough away from society.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by Alanh View Post
        There are way too many governmental jurisdictions...
        ...those days are long gone.
        this is what i am afraid of, that such a trip is not possible in this country... i didnt start reasearching really deep into the matter yet. i did check the temperatures in march, on average its 10c-15c degrees, which is very comfortable with the right equipment and supplies. but my main concert is the local authorities ... it is really pathetic that people who want to just experience the nature have to worry about stupid laws, that are there to only limit us... "free country" ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post

And there are only so many times you can have venison in a row... Also bringing your rifle into Mexico or the DR wont go over well.

Since everything is privately owned now I doubt you will be able to build things on their land whether it be Mr. Johnson's or Uncle Sam's. Sounds like you have some problems, just go to a therapist, or take a vacation somewhere and live in a cabin somewhere you dont speak the language. Far enough away from society.
          i am not planning to take a riffle across the border, that is why i clearly said, los angeles and then mexico, los angeles is where i would sell the rifle to some local pawn shop.
          therapist have nothing to do with this. i have been on many vacations and am constantly going on them but its not the same as a trip of self exploration. without electricity, computers, communication... comments like that only show how inhumane we became.

Comment

Originally posted by sergatiuk View Post
            this is what i am afraid of, that such a trip is not possible in this country... i didnt start reasearching really deep into the matter yet. i did check the temperatures in march, on average its 10c-15c degrees, which is very comfortable with the right equipment and supplies. but my main concert is the local authorities ... it is really pathetic that people who want to just experience the nature have to worry about stupid laws, that are there to only limit us... "free country" ?
            nobody outside the US believes the "free country" part.

Go to Laos or if you want to do it by foot, then go to the mountains of central america. You should be fine down there.
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

nobody outside the US believes the "free country" part.

Go to Laos or if you want to do it by foot, then go to the mountains of central america. You should be fine down there.
              i hope to see the day when people inside the US will start realizing that.
              regarding south america, i already have a trip planned, which would beto fly to argentina, buy a dirt bike and some equipment and cross the continent all the way to mexico, and then on a boat back to FL. this trip should be +/- 2 months.
              however, the north american continent has really amazing places to see, and just the thought of one not being able to really enjoy these places upsets me.

Comment

Are you retired, or just independently wealthy or something?

And good if you want to do it by foot, but there really isnt any way of getting from point A to point B without going through civilization every few miles. So I dont see the point. The "nature" is few and far between, so why not just go to your destination and have fun? Walking on interstates is illegal as far as I know too... And if it isnt on a road, again it is owned, and then you are trespassing. Trespassing while armed too could get you in a bit of trouble.

I commend you in wanting to do something like this, but it just doesnt seem like a good or feasible idea in a heavily populated and law crazy country.

Comment

Are you retired, or just independently wealthy or something?

And good if you want to do it by foot, but there really isnt any way of getting from point A to point B without going through civilization every few miles. So I dont see the point. The "nature" is few and far between, so why not just go to your destination and have fun? Walking on interstates is illegal as far as I know too... And if it isnt on a road, again it is owned, and then you are trespassing. Trespassing while armed too could get you in a bit of trouble.

I commend you in wanting to do something like this, but it just doesnt seem like a good or feasible idea in a heavily populated and law crazy country.
                  lol, im not wealthy, nor retired, i just believe there is more to see in this world then the daily routines and vacations that everybody else thinks are cool.

you are right, it isnt possible to walk this kind of distances without walking into civilization, but i dont mind walking through it, besides the idea of living out in the nature i also want to do ALOT of walking and i did find a "legal" route to walk this distance )http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...753418&t=h&z=6). heres the thing though, if i arrive to the destination with lets say a car then i automaticly do have to "rent" a camping ground and obey all their restrictions. that is why i dont want to just arrive to each destination, i wast to experience each destination, the good and the bad of it. heres the million dollar question; what has more value, to earn 300 dollars a day or to travel and see 100 kilometers a day ?

Comment

lol, im not wealthy, nor retired, i just believe there is more to see in this world then the daily routines and vacations that everybody else thinks are cool.

you are right, it isnt possible to walk this kind of distances without walking into civilization, but i dont mind walking through it, besides the idea of living out in the nature i also want to do ALOT of walking and i did find a "legal" route to walk this distance )http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...753418&t=h&z=6). heres the thing though, if i arrive to the destination with lets say a car then i automaticly do have to "rent" a camping ground and obey all their restrictions. that is why i dont want to just arrive to each destination, i wast to experience each destination, the good and the bad of it. heres the million dollar question; what has more value, to earn 300 dollars a day or to travel and see 100 kilometers a day ?
                    Got to say, earn money but $300/day is well below the poverty line so it will be much more than that lol.

I drive around quite a bit and everything pretty much looks the same. I've never been a "getting there is half the fun" sort of person. I would rather see 10km a day 1000km apart then 100km a day of the same thing.

Comment

I would suggest walking from Mexico to Tierra del fuego instead. I took the bus to Tierra del Fuego from Boston a few years back. It took me nine months, i made stops along the way. You could walk through latin america cheaply and easily and camp wherever you like, in fact i would just bring a hammock and a good bug net and hang the hammock along the way between palm trees.

But - you will need a good tent, some spanish and most definitely a machete for at least all of Central America.
                      Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
                      • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
                      • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
                      • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
                      • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

In US national parks, you do need some sort of a wilderness permit at the very least. They aren't very expensive (I think only ~$15 per a trip regardless of # of days) but there are a lot of other rules you have to follow while in a national park. Hunting and cabin building is a big no-no and you can be fined for possessing a weapon in a national park.

Comment

sergatiuk,

Regarding the Yellowstone temps, the data I saw showed average highs of 40.1 deg F or only 4C and lows averaging 17.8F (-8C) and that is just the average. It could be 0 F or even lower so you really need to be prepared.

I'm not sure why you feel so negatively about laws. Without them, there is a certain segment of the population that would abuse all those wild areas and they wouldn't be wild any more. Its no different than having laws against theft - most don't steal but some always will so you have to deal with them. We had pretty much anything goes 150 years ago and hunters just about wiped out the Bison just to get the skins leaving everything else to rot. As soon as somebody found gold or silver, miners headed in even if they were on land that was supposedly reserved for Native Americans (and the government didn't do much to stop it or even helped). These days, without laws, it might be mining on a vast scale or housing subdivisions or wealthy people buying it for their own use keeping everyone else out, or reckless off-road vehicle use tearing things up, etc. etc. All it takes is a few to screw things up for everyone else. I think that is just what happens when you have a limited supply of wilderness and plenty of people.

Lots of people find it enjoyable to travel around by vehicle and they are still able to get far enough away to get some solitude. There are still plenty of places where you can drive to a trailhead and hike into an area for a few days and be pretty much by yourself (but there will probably be someone else out there).

If you still want to do some kind of trip, the weather would be much better if you went to the Grand Canyon first. It gets pretty hot in the Southwest desert country in mid-summer and I think even in mid-winter, down in the canyon its still pretty pleasant. I think things are a lot less busy there too at that time of year.

Comment

agree with pretty much everything but FYI a desert gets cold at night hot in the day. And in the canyon it will be even colder at night.

We've already had our first snow. And it is going below freezing again tonight. We are in a semi-arid desert and farther south than wyoming. Not like florida, that's for sure!

Comment

Working...
                            X