video games on big screen tvs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video games on big screen tvs

alright, so i seem to remember that you cant play video games on a CRT projection TV, due to the image burn on the tubes... well, you can do it for a short period of time, but not a long time.

now, with all the newer technology TVs out there, what is the generally accepted rule to what TV you can run a video game system on... without damage.

i really want to buy a big screen eventually, but i still like my games...

~Mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Heh, i remember playing wipeout when it for came out on a huge projector (not sure if this is the same).... if you crashed too much , it made you feel sick.

I`m sure you could get away with games on a projector, i suspect it just a warning that manufacturers use to cover thier own backs.
    My Setup

Comment

Don't play anything with static images on a CRT projector (rear or front). They burn in very quickly and are expensive to fix.

This includes the "heads-up display" in video games w/the score, etc., as well as TV channels that keep a "frame" around the video (CNN Headline News, Bloomberg, etc.).

Comment

I stand corrected (said the man with the orthapedic shoes) . I guess it gonna be one of those things that gets better with development.
        My Setup

Comment

Originally posted by RobM
          Don't play anything with static images on a CRT projector (rear or front). They burn in very quickly and are expensive to fix.

This includes the "heads-up display" in video games w/the score, etc., as well as TV channels that keep a "frame" around the video (CNN Headline News, Bloomberg, etc.).
          yeah... i know that...

what about the other TVs out there???
          plasma, lcd projection,etc.

i think plasma has a similar problem to the CRT projection TVs. i remember hearing stories about people getting burned images when plasma / hdtv was still very new.

~Mike

Comment

LCDs and DLPs are not affected. Don't know about plasmas. If the manual says not to, then don't.

Comment

DLP = Giant hole in bank aco****!!!

~mike

Comment

InFocus X1 (DLP) and Sanyo PLV-Z1 (LCD) are both around 1000, I wouldnt call that a lot of money for what they are!
                Getting some damn good reviews.

Comment

$55 proxima, got it from work

been doing computer/tv/video games/dvd/winamp visualizations (giess....mmmm droool) strong for just about a year now

For comparison that's a 15" lcd to the lower left.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

Maybe Im just stupid or something, but,
                    Why would a projector burn in when playing a game which has still images ????
                    Projectors are often used for presentations, and presentations is more or less some powerpoint slideshow, which will have a lot off still images... never seen one burned..

Greetz,
                    Raas - The Netherlands
                    ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
                    GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Originally posted by Raas
                      Maybe Im just stupid or something, but,
                      Why would a projector burn in when playing a game which has still images ????
                      Projectors are often used for presentations, and presentations is more or less some powerpoint slideshow, which will have a lot off still images... never seen one burned..

Greetz,
                      CRT projectors are -not- meant for presentations. They're for video -only-.

In fact, the CRTs are driven to such high levels that even under normal use they degrade fairly quickly (an expensive proposition). In fact, a CRT front or rear-projector has about 1/10th the tube life of a direct view. They just end up getting dim over time; with burn-in only parts of them get dim and that's ugly.

Comment

Working...
                      X