X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye iPhone!

Not sure how many of you saw this yet:
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...Sfeed_IWK_News
    but looks like apples crying again. They want an unspecified amount of money and to bar htc from selling in the US. Google has backed up HTC turning this just as much into a google vs. apple situation.

Either this will strike a crippling blow to android...or more likely it will kill google's support for the iphone. Not saying google search and its advertising are leaving anytime soon but don't be surprised if the voice recognition does and google navigation never makes its appearance. just my $0.02
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Or, more likely, an arrangement will be reached, HTC will provide Apple an unspecified sum of money, Apple will give HTC a token unspecified number of shares and the right to use their patents.

A mutual covenant-not-to-sue will be written, and five years from now HTC will put out a table that apple will sue them for.

Gary (-;
    OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
    OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
    mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

Well, I guess we're finding out what kind of company Google is turning into, aren't we? We already know that Apple is a patent-crazy, suit-happy, paranoid company. I guess I thought Google was...ahem, different.

Where's Google Nav for iPhone or Windows Mobile? Why would they take Google Voice search recognition away from the iPhone just because Apple is a big meanie?

It thought it was about making the planet better. Actually, I didn't. I was just waiting until they got big enough to start acting like a huge conglomerate.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Haha awesome.
        "Apple has suffered irreparable injury for which there is no adequate remedy at law and will continue to suffer such irreparable injury unless ...."

Sounds like even Apple thinks this so called "iphone killer" might have some merit to it's name, unlike the last 5 Droid phones which have been called by the same name with similar features, yet apple did nothing about.

Bugbyte, please don't take this offensively, but I have to call you out a bit on this. I find it interesting how google being huge and having corporate sort of power is all good and well and people think they should use it to get things done (save the world, be green, etc) until suddenly they use that power in a way the person disagree with. Then suddenly it's all "I guess since they're a corporation they don't care about the little guy". You're bashing on Google for going toe to toe against Apple for the betterment of the open source Android community? Sure, they stand to gain financially, as you said they're a corporation: their bottom line is first, and FOSS is second. But ask yourself what's wrong with the two values aligning? It sounds like your Apple side, and FOSS side are at odds with each other. Google is giving poor HTC some firepower, and I'm all for it.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

Yea I can't see why google defending their product would be a sign their ignoring the little guy.....apple patented everything possible (including a "slide left-right gesture")...and is now suing for features and technology they didn't even create. What's next are they going to patent the high-five?! I really hope this bites them in the *** and exposes them as the paranoid consumer screwing control freaks that they are.

@malcom2073:
          I don't think this targets any one phone....just that HTC seems to be the hardware designer of choice for android. A lot of people have been speculating that apple waited for android to take off before filing the suit to try to get as much money as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
            Bugbyte, please don't take this offensively, but I have to call you out a bit on this.
            Ha, ha! I'm not offended at all. You can tell I was sort of troll-posting there, can't you? It was sort of fun to try and turn it around and aim it at Google.

I agree, Apple's really gone off the deep end here and the whole thing is pretty stupid. My guess is they countersued as a way to bring HTC to the table and get the whole thing settled. It's the schoolyard bully strategy and Apple uses it frequently. Pretty ugly.

OTHO, who is the MORON at the patent office who is handing these things out? They can't possibly be so far out of tune that they don't know how these things get used. It's like the Amazon 1-click patent. One click to buy. durrrrrhhhhh. That's not patentable, that's convenient.

There is just a hint of truth to what I said, though. If Google really makes its money from advertising, then they ought to put their nav app on as many platforms as possible. That's what they did with Google Earth, after all. There's really only one justification I can think of for not doing it, and that is that the market is too small on the iPhone. Obviously, that's not the case, so what they are doing is classic Microsoft Windows only strategy to make their operating system more attractive and increase lock-in for users by making it difficult to switch.

Given the nearly OS agnostic approach Google has taken in the past by leveraging the web (gmail, buzz, wave, picassa and so on), I think this signals something different for Google as far as strategy. I guess I'm not required to like it - Sergei didn't run it by me before they rolled it out. Still, I'm a little disappointed. I want Google to succeed by being different, not the same.
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

i wasn't aware that apple had done it in the past, but apple has always seemed to leave a odd, sour taste for me, even with their newest, fanciest devices...

if apple succeeds in this, i just might have to buy a HTC device, to further the "irreparable injury to apple"...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                apple has always seemed to leave a odd, sour taste for me
                Perhaps you just don't like Macintosh's.
                Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                  Perhaps you just don't like Macintosh's.
                  it is slowly starting to come to that...though, i view it more as being pushed away...

my families first ever computer was a mac, and mac seemed good through those early days, but after the ipod hurdled them into fame, they just seemed to start getting a 'better-then-you' attitude...

kind of like how a highend mercedes owner looks down on a ford focus owner...
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                    kind of like how a highend mercedes owner looks down on a ford focus owner...
                    and yet they can never seem to keep up with me

I should point out the whole google navigation not coming to apple thing was speculation not a fact yet (google promised it a few months ago). Given inside info i got from a google employee and what I saw with this bs suit though, im fairly confident. First adobe and now google, apple is turning into the north korea of the tech industry.

Comment

Ha, apple sucks so bad. I can't wait to get rid of my iPhone, junk product form a junk company. Junk.
                      Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

OK, when I come on this forum I see alot of heated debates and comments and that's great to have discussions.

now that I've gotten that out of the way I have to say that I can't stand most of the decisions that Steve jobs and his team make by not letting the Iphone be more open.
                        but for some people to get on here and not be honest about what this phone has brought to the market is just silly.

Yes you can say well Winmo & Nokia has done this and that, But neither company made it popular like the Iphone did. The things that I am able to do with this device in my everyday life while not being attached to a computer is amazing. Apple did that not Winmo or Nokia.

Just a few things. I have a Viper alarm system that is controlled by my Iphone I can't control it with a Winmo or Nokia phone. I have 7 separate distinct phone numbers on my Iphone my AT&T number and 6 different voip numbers I couldn't do that with a Winmo or Nokia phone yes you can get voip on those other phones but not those many accounts.

So the point I am trying to make here is yes we all wish Apple would be more open with it's OS but to call it junk is just plain stupid the Iphone brought everything together unlike any of these other phone makers have been able to do. Winmo could have done it but they didn't Nokia could have done it but they didn't. You can dislike the phone it's your right but you can't discount the popularity of the phone over other phones and phone makers.

People laughed at the Ipod when it was first came out it was a hit with the public, People laughed at the Iphone when it first came out, Microsofts CEO said it would be a flop because they had better devices the public seen it a different way and purchased it in record numbers making the other phone makers look like fools. And now the Ipad is getting the same treatment well we will see how that goes but if history is a indicator the public will eat it up.

I could say Winmo, Nokia, Blackberry, Palm and the other competition to the Iphone is junk but I dont for me the Iphone is the perfect phone a Winmo phone won't work for me neither can any of the others the only other OS that can come close is the Android system and it's phone they are catching up and they have passed the others.

I didn't want to make this post this long but I just want to get somethinmgs across I have tried several different phones because I was getting tored of AT&T milking me for tones of money, So I tried the Blackberry Storm, Palm Pre, Samsung Instinct, Htc Tilt, and Mytouch 3G I tried each phone for a week in my everyday life and I kept going back to my Iphone the only one that came close was the Mytouch 3G with each of those other phones I still was in need of a computer unlike with my Iphone.

In closing I would say it's easy to say one phone or another is junk but do you think that if the Iphone had not come up we would have the developments that we have now most car headunit manufactures make there units compatible with the Ipod and Iphone most car makers make there units compatible with the Ipod and Iphone so to say the phone is junk is just silly. You need to thank the Iphone for pushing other phones in the right direction.

Comment

Actually, the definition of "junk" as applied to phones is subjective. As far as I'm concerned the iPhone is junk.

"Being honest about what the iphone has brought to the market", through my eyes, is some mediocre development tools, some ridiculously hostile vendor lock-in, and a phone whose hardware supports all kinds of useful things but whose manufaturer has made a premeditated decision to cripple. Also a huge pile of anticompetitive douchebaggery which is what started this thread.

I love that it's shown people that their phone doesn't have to be a completely dumb brick, but we were already travelling that path before the iPhone came along.

I can discount the iPhone's popularity all I like. If I wrote down a shopping list of the features *I* need that would warrant calling a phone not-junk, the iPhone has almost none of them. As far as I'm concerned, palm and blackberry both have superior phones. Obviously, it meets some of your requirements where other phone's done, and that's fine - but we don't have the same requirements.

Ranting aside, don't discount other people's subjective opinion just because it doesn't line up with your subjective opinion.

Gary (-;

Comment

As I said before if that were the case then Blackberry's and Palm's would be leading the pack as I said before you can say what you like and by the numbers the public likes the Iphone, you can say thge others have more or better all you like, But you still are not coming to the table with the answer to the argument, Why did they not make the device first and have there's sell aswell because they couldn't this phone brought everything full circle.

As I said again calling the Iphone junk is just silly and if we are going off your logic the Palm Pre & Pixie are junk aswell as the Blackberry storm and other Blackberry's all of them bring nothing new to the table and they are junk the Pre and Pixie are made of horrible materials and the Blackberry"s are stupid phones period.

You may call the Iphone junk but as I said numbers don't lie popularity doesn't lie after I get of the forums I guess I will go out to my girls car that she has a Kenwood DNX9140 in and hook it up to a Palm or Blackberry oh my mistake I cant because Kenwood decided to use the most popular device for it's media hook up. as most Headunit manufacturers do.

If anybody should have been able to dethrone the Iphone it should have been one of those 2 but guess what the Iphones biggest threat is the Android OS because the public wants there devices to mesh together unlike Palm Blackberry and Nokia they do nothing and work well with nothing in this media driven world now Palm Blackberry and Nokia are behind and it's sad that Android has leap frogged them but as usual these other manufacturers are developing devices for 80ty year olds when they discovered the market is with the young they fell behind and lost support, that's the deal.

Comment

Here's the process for buying a phone:

1) Draw up a shopping list of features you require in a phone, rate features on importance
                              2) Look at the phones available, compare to the list of features you require
                              3) Go with the phone that best fits your requirements.

Just because the iPhone meets a lot of people's requirements better than a blackberry does, doesn't mean it's not what I would call junk, it just means it's better for them than the others. The iPhone is clearly fine for you, you care more for some app for you car than you care about open-ness of platform, thus, you feel it's not junk. I feel the opposite, thus, I feel it is junk.

Note that I also haven't claimed the alternative's aren't junk. The truth is that none of the current crop of smartphones meet my needs, so my phone is still a 3-year-old KRZR with a cracked screen. Rated against my requirements, the KRZR is still the best phone for my needs.

Gary (-;

Comment

Working...
                              X