No announcement yet.

Camera to watch dog, while im at work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera to watch dog, while im at work.

Hey yall, I have a orbit desktop camera. and plenty of bandwidth. How can I set it up so my camera sends the video feed online so I can watch the live feed from a computer at work? The computer at work is my laptop I bring home everyday if that helps at all. Let me know yalls ideas.

You need software that allows the feed to be accessible online.
    There are multiple options for this. Do some Googling.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You need to setup a server in your house that you can connect to from work. There's lots of webcam streaming software out there that will do this for you. As DP says, Google it up.

If you just want still snapshots every minute or so, I use a great piece of software called fwink that uploads to an ftp location on the web and you can pull it up in your browser. You need to have a web site you can ftp to in order to use it.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Try remote desktop with WWW active. Then you'll have access to everything on the home PC as well.

Comment

Hahaha..I actually wrote a Centrafuse plugin for a friend with the exact same requirement. He was using MS media server to stream the webcam so he could keep an eye on his dogs.

Like Curiosity said, using Remote desktop is probably the fastest and easiest.

VegasGuy

Comment

NoMachine is your friend.
            Ampie Case
            2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
            Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
            Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Good points. VNC will also work and is free.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Im horrible with remote desktop, ive never got it to work unless my computers are on the same network, even then im having issues since my desktop is xp and my laptop is 7.

I tried that no machine but I dont know what my terminal server is or host so ya.

If yall havent figured out yet I dont know networking at all.

Comment

Just make sure you add a remote shock collar so you can blast him if he gets outta line!

Comment

I use my iphone to do this and there are several apps to do it and I have tried most of them and the best I have found is iCam. It records to your hd on motion and streams live. Many options available and it will even send push notifications to you iphone if you want. It will support multiple cameras hooked up to different pcs also. It has a java based web interface also if you do not have an iphone. The server portion of the app for the PC is free. The app for the iphone is a couple of bucks but if you only use the web interface then there is no need to buy iphone app. It has worked flawlessly for us to watch our dogs and elderly family members when we are not home.
                    The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

Originally posted by fixerofallthing View Post
                      I use my iphone to do this and there are several apps to do it and I have tried most of them and the best I have found is iCam. It records to your hd on motion and streams live. Many options available and it will even send push notifications to you iphone if you want. It will support multiple cameras hooked up to different pcs also. It has a java based web interface also if you do not have an iphone. The server portion of the app for the PC is free. The app for the iphone is a couple of bucks but if you only use the web interface then there is no need to buy iphone app. It has worked flawlessly for us to watch our dogs and elderly family members when we are not home.
                      What do you mean only the web interface? Im trying to do this as cheaply as possible so if I dont need to do anything to watch my puppy on my phone then obviously id take that route. Sorry but im tryna be spoon fed here.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggie View Post
                        Im horrible with remote desktop, ive never got it to work unless my computers are on the same network, even then im having issues since my desktop is xp and my laptop is 7.

I tried that no machine but I dont know what my terminal server is or host so ya.

If yall havent figured out yet I dont know networking at all.
                        How proficient are you with networking? For NoMachine you log into your router, take a look at what your local IP is, forward your external IP to that for whichever port NoMachine is using and your host should be localhost. You should be able to get up and running in about 6 seconds, I have it installed on all my computers at home so I can log into my stereo and change music from any computer I have.

If you want you can also set up a dedicated server to run ZoneMinder, that might be your best option. It'll give you everything you need.
                        Ampie Case
                        2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                        Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                        Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Look at either Blue Iris, or Webcam 7. Actually I think WebcamXP has a free one camera version, probably your best bet.

Comment

on that nxmachine it is asking me for my windows terminal server
                            Server_______
                            Domain_______

That is what I dont know.

Comment

check check I was able to get remote desktop to work while im on the same wireless network. I cant get it to work when im at work on our public wifi. Could use some pointers! The desktop is a wired connection behind a WR2000 netgear wireless router

Comment

Working...
                              X