Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody needs to call me out...

I'll call myself out!

I am a dick, and I know it. I don't care.

I don't tolerate stupidity, laziness, butt-kissing or poor grammar.
    I have no qualms in pointing out any or all of the above, and I do so with great frequency.

If you're merely ignorant, you can cure that with education.
    If you're lazy, you can cure that by making an effort.
    If you're a kiss-a$$, stand up for yourself for once.
    If your grammar sucks, crack open a grammar textbook and diagram a sentence or two.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Boy admins are quick tonight I missed it.

IBTL
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Without even reposting...

I rest my case.

Bounce

Comment

It's sad to see someone as helpful as DP being trashed here. He has over 13,000 posts and at least 50% I know to be helpful. If 100% of my posts were helpful, I still don't reach DP status.

With as long as a lot of us have been here, we do see a lot of the same question over and over and over and over and over and over and... after a while it gets a little redundant when the asker could have found the answer by searching. Yes, there's a lot of junk in the forum, but it's true with all forums. Searching is just that, searching. I wouldn't expect to find every answer I seek as the first result of a search... weeding thru the crap needs to be done to uncover that gold nugget.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I have known DP for a number of years. I will say he was the first one to help me when I became a moderator and for that I am greatful.

DP may be abrasive and no-nonsense but you will have to go a long way to find some who has supported and helped these forums more than him.

@Bounce: you may have been on here for a little while, fair enough, but I am sure you haven't seen the large volume of post that have a simple answer that can be found by doing a basic search, reading the FAQ or the stickies at the top of each forum. A lot of people have tried to help new members out but get sick of answering the same basic posts over and over again and stop posting in the newbie forum. DP has helped in this part of the forums for quite a number of years. If you don't like the way DP does things, then why don't you do it? Spend the next year responding to all the newbie posts and you will see what I am talking about.
          Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

I think some people just take posting way to seriously....DP posts the way he does....There is no point getting upset because you read his post a certain way, especially given you will read it differently to others.

If his style of writing offends you, feel free to ignore him.

I've had a few replies by DP to some of my threads, sometimes I see it as being "confrontational" in my view, but at the end of the day, what he says makes sense, and contributes to the thread. I don't take offense at what he says, because at the end of the day, this is a worldwide community, Aussies speak and write differently to US, Swedish, English, Russian, anyone. If we all spoke, wrote and thought the same way, this would be one boring world

No point getting up in arms and running off screaming to mammy, let the DP speak his mind.

Besides, its always fun when DP jumps into a thread

Comment

Originally posted by Bounce247 View Post
              I rest my case.

Bounce
              No need to repost, man. your voice was heard, believe you me.

But I will pose a question:
              What is YOUR contribution to the community?

Before you raise your arm to hurl that stone, I suggest getting out of your glass house.

The fact of the matter is, this hobby, more than others, requires the ability to figure things out on your own. Ideally, you should understand your system, how it is put together, the components used, the wiring, the software configuration, etc.
              These are things you simply can not learn from a generalized FAQ or the documentation of someone else's experiences.

I look at it this way:
              Someone will be far more likely to have a successful install that they are happy with when they learn about it on their own rather than being spoon-fed the answers. In the name of "tough-love" (tough-like?), I push them in the direction of self-discovery.
              Separating the wheat from the chaff is part of that process.

When you Google for something, how many link results actually provide the information you seek?
              Granted the irrelevant links may not say "Google it", but the process of finding valid information is the same.

Welcome to the interwebz.
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

I'm not gonna lie, I've been on the receiving end of DP's "help." At the moment, it can seem like he's attacking you, but, looking back on it now, I see that it was WAY better than getting spoonfed. Whoever is attacking you, DP, I say "Let them figure it out for themselves!"
                After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

Originally posted by freeflashstuff View Post
                  I'm not gonna lie, I've been on the receiving end of DP's "help." At the moment, it can seem like he's attacking you, but, looking back on it now, I see that it was WAY better than getting spoonfed. Whoever is attacking you, DP, I say "Let them figure it out for themselves!"

Same here, but in the end I got the help I needed. But because of guys like him, you quickly begin to become trained to search first before asking questions, cause the vets will let you have it from time to time. Even still, sometimes you just can't find the answer. First it may take hours to find the right thread containing the specific answer. Some threads are so long(and the answer to your specific question may be on page 420 somewhere), that you may have given up on page 367 and decided to press the easy button and just ask(I have done that plenty of times...mostly when I had limited daylight left before nightfall) when I'm pressed for time. A far as end results, most will still feel as good about their install even if the answers are spoonfed to them, cause the actual build labor is still being done by the user, and learning some software is trickier for some than others...just my opinion.

Especially if their project turns out as or better than expected because of info/help they receive here......
                  Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
                  Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Comment

what'd I miss?!

This is what happens when you dont check mp3car one day out the past few years. >.<
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                      what'd I miss?!

This is what happens when you dont check mp3car one day out the past few years. >.<
                      Go back to sleep, it's over.
                      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                        what'd I miss?!

I think you missed the 5 minute window before bugbyte jumped all over it
                        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                        RevFE
                        My Shop

Comment

Good Lord...

Where to begin....or should I even?

My contribution to this board the same contribution that many adults here make: I read, I learn, I search and most importantly, I don't jump down the throat of people trying to learn.

Did what I posted need to be said? Probably not. Do I have the right, just as every other member on here, to voice my opinion? I thought so, but apparently not. As tired as you are of people asking the same questions over and over, I was tired of searching for my topic and in 87% percent of my search results seeing a rude or brusque answer from you (the percentage stat was the result of a survey that I made up to support my report!

As I said in my pm, you have a lot of knowledge to impart on the membership of this board is you so choose. The fact that I took the time to respond (or post in the first place) is part of a forum's dynamic. As is, I suppose, the fact that you take the time to respond the way you do.

So in closing, I would like to state that in no way, shape or manner do the views posted by me represent the Libertarian party or that of the United Basket Weavers of China Labor Union. Your results may vary, please call a doctor in the event of a 5 hour hyper-extended earlobe, and please be kind to midgets. That is all.

Bounce

Comment

Someone here had a quote in their signature saying something along the lines of DP Keeps telling me to search, but all I find are threads in which DP tells people to search.
                            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                            RevFE
                            My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by Bounce247 View Post
                              Where to begin....or should I even?
                              Maybe... Maybe not....

My contribution to this board the same contribution that many adults here make: I read, I learn, I search and most importantly, I don't jump down the throat of people trying to learn.
                              A more valid contribution is providing the materials that people search for.
                              Or perhaps making the search more fruitful.

Learning for yourself is great and all, but it doesn't contribute to the community so much as yourself.

Did what I posted need to be said? Probably not. Do I have the right, just as every other member on here, to voice my opinion? I thought so, but apparently not. As tired as you are of people asking the same questions over and over, I was tired of searching for my topic and in 87% percent of my search results seeing a rude or brusque answer from you (the percentage stat was the result of a survey that I made up to support my report!
                              I disagree.
                              It needed to be said, if even for your own personal sanity. Or lack thereof. You choose.

As I said in my pm, you have a lot of knowledge to impart on the membership of this board is you so choose. The fact that I took the time to respond (or post in the first place) is part of a forum's dynamic. As is, I suppose, the fact that you take the time to respond the way you do.
                              Every community has a bitter old curmudgeon.
                              A school has the coach that used to be a drill sergeant.
                              That old man who *****es and moans about whippersnappers.
                              You get the idea.

So in closing, I would like to state that in no way, shape or manner do the views posted by me represent the Libertarian party or that of the United Basket Weavers of China Labor Union. Your results may vary, please call a doctor in the event of a 5 hour hyper-extended earlobe, and please be kind to midgets. That is all.

Bounce
                              I believe the politically correct term is "little people".

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                              Someone here had a quote in their signature saying something along the lines of DP Keeps telling me to search, but all I find are threads in which DP tells people to search.
                              I bet if you search for that, you'd find it.
                              How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                              X