Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready the Whip! (Got a new car.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ready the Whip! (Got a new car.)

    Well, picked up my new ride last Saturday. I've now got the car, now it's time to do the install. Here's the stats:

    2003 Dodge Stratus R/T
    Titanium Metalic Paint
    3.0L 200HP Mitsubishi 6cyl engine
    4 Speed Automatic Transmission w/ Autostick
    Black leather interior

    I just had the windows tinted to 15% all the way around. Looks good. Almost two-tone. The only complaint so far is there only a 1 1/2 DIN opening. Someone was telling me I can do a swap with the Eclipse to gain a double DIN opening.

    What do ya think?

  • #2
    Pics would be nice. Congrats on your need ride. May you have many years of funfilled driving experience on the roads of St Louis.

    hahaha Post some pics man. Those are sweet rides.
    What im curently listening to.
    My complete carpc setup

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Ready the Whip! (Got a new car.)

      Originally posted by Skippman
      Well, picked up my new ride last Saturday. I've now got the car, now it's time to do the install. ....
      hey!!! i thought you were waiting for the WRX STi.

      i was looking forward to drooling over it when you got it (i think it was you ?!?!)

      ~mike
      Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
      PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
      2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

      Comment


      • #4
        Well.. you see.. funny story about that...

        I was talking with one of my local Subie dealers on the net about getting either a WRX or STi. I decided to get a striped down black 03 WRX. So I go to the dealer and I'm all ready to sign. But I've got this nagging feeling in the back of my mind like I'm making a mistake. The universe was speaking to me. I needed to listen. So I tell the dealer I need a day to think about it and they agree.

        So I go home, pick up my mail and what do I find? State Farm had canceled my insurance!

        Well, it's time to reconsider my car choices thinks I. So the next day my pops and I go to the local Dodge dealer to check out these panel trucks he's going to buy. While I'm there I take a Stratus for a test drive and fall in love with the car. So I ask the dealer "How much"? Well, since my families worked for Crysler for years we get 'GreenSheet' price. Heres how it breaks down:

        26,500 Sticker Price

        23,713 Green Sheet Price
        3,000 Factory Rebate
        1,000 Green Sheet Rebate til end of the month
        1,400 Trade in on my Navajo (needed new clutch)
        ----------
        18,318 Total

        So basically I got a car valued at $26,500 for $18,318.

        So the next day I call around looking for new insuance and finally settle for Progressive (big props to Chuck for helping me out). They hook me up with 6 months of insurance on the Stratus for $970. The WRX would have cost me $1028.

        Striped down WRX or fully loaded Stratus R/T? It's a no brainer.

        Now I have to start planning my install ALL over again. But hey, that's part of the fun.

        Comment


        • #5
          >.> for my previous car, my insurance cost me more than my car!!
          aka Kumaneko
          "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
          Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
          mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
          Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Skippman

            Well, it's time to reconsider my car choices thinks I. So the next day my pops and I go to the local Dodge dealer to check out these panel trucks he's going to buy. While I'm there I take a Stratus for a test drive and fall in love with the car. So I ask the dealer "How much"? Well, since my families worked for Crysler for years we get 'GreenSheet' price. Heres how it breaks down:

            26,500 Sticker Price

            23,713 Green Sheet Price
            3,000 Factory Rebate
            1,000 Green Sheet Rebate til end of the month
            1,400 Trade in on my Navajo (needed new clutch)
            ----------
            18,318 Total

            So basically I got a car valued at $26,500 for $18,318.

            So the next day I call around looking for new insuance and finally settle for Progressive (big props to Chuck for helping me out). They hook me up with 6 months of insurance on the Stratus for $970. The WRX would have cost me $1028.

            Striped down WRX or fully loaded Stratus R/T? It's a no brainer.

            turbocharged awd manual vs underpowered fwd automatic how is this a nobrainer?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gunmaster
              turbocharged awd manual vs underpowered fwd automatic how is this a nobrainer?
              to be honest... cars now-a-days just plain suck.

              there are no "standout" cars anymore, nothing is original looking, engines are smaller and more high strung. personal opinion... i wish i was around for the golden age of driving. the 60s and early 70s. cars were phenominal.

              true the WRX would have been a better choice... if there were no other things to consider (i.e. insurance), but all things considered, that stratus r/t is not such a bad car. more HP/torque than mine, so i cant complain. and the price is great. after all, a nice wrx would put you over 30K.

              enjoy the car and the ensuing installation.

              ~Mike
              Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
              PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
              2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mp3z24
                to be honest... cars now-a-days just plain suck.

                there are no "standout" cars anymore, nothing is original looking, engines are smaller and more high strung. personal opinion... i wish i was around for the golden age of driving. the 60s and early 70s. cars were phenominal.

                true the WRX would have been a better choice... if there were no other things to consider (i.e. insurance), but all things considered, that stratus r/t is not such a bad car. more HP/torque than mine, so i cant complain. and the price is great. after all, a nice wrx would put you over 30K.

                enjoy the car and the ensuing installation.

                ~Mike
                When you say the golden days of driving, you mean going really fast in a straight line, right?
                -Nick

                _____________________________
                Since when is insanity a bad thing?
                www.mp3vw.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MP3DUB
                  When you say the golden days of driving, you mean going really fast in a straight line, right?
                  hey... some of those cars can turn...

                  and if you cant get the front end to turn as much as you wanted... mash the gas and get the *** to swing around.

                  i only wish i had a RWD car with more HP than cubic inches. drool

                  ok, perhaps i should rephrase that as "the golden age of cars". when cars didnt all look the same, and the manufacturers actually changed the cars every year or 2. instead of now, when they claim that adding color to the door handles, or adding rear view mirror map lights constitutes a model year change. bah

                  ~Mike
                  Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                  PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                  2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I bought was I could affoard. I'm 23 and own my own home. It's not like I've got a light of extra money each month. I could have bought the WRX and been broke or the Stratus and be able to mod it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm with mp3z24,
                      Give me an original Cobra with a 428, 1964 Impala SS409, 1969 Camaro SS454.... The list goes on! A group of local hot rodders around have a cruise in every Saturday night at various places around town. Talk about some NICE rides!

                      I mean this in no offense to anyone who is into NOPI/Imports, just me saying here. But there were a few imports parked at one of the shows next to a 1960's Chevy II. When the imports started their engines to leave (and rev them very annoyingly), the Chevy answered back with a chest rattling roar coming straight out of the headers! You know what I mean, the sound where the engine sounds like its about to either cut or kick your @$$! Nothing like the smell of raw racing fuel!


                      PS - Sorry got of on a tangent, Congrats on the new ride!!
                      System Status - Starting Over
                      Computer: None

                      Vehicle: Silver 2002 Malibu

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Skippman
                        I bought was I could affoard. I'm 23 and own my own home. It's not like I've got a light of extra money each month. I could have bought the WRX and been broke or the Stratus and be able to mod it.
                        i will be in the same boat as you (23, soon to be home owner, car payment, etc) ... probably by the end of the summer. but, i think i am going to squeeze about 2 more years out of my car. probably get rid of it once the extended warranty runs out. it was a sad realization when i figured out that i couldnt afford a new mini (with all the extras i want) along with a house payment

                        im just affraid im gonna be "house poor"

                        but, hey, you gotta pay for what you want. there are always trade-offs.

                        ~mike
                        Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                        PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                        2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm happy with what I bought. The V6 sounds good. And there's a Supercharger kit for it. Might have to spend some loot and upgrade the motor.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Skippman
                            I'm happy with what I bought. The V6 sounds good. And there's a Supercharger kit for it. Might have to spend some loot and upgrade the motor.
                            well I glad your glad but there are wrx turbo's on ebay lower than 20k. I guess you got to shop around. Im not to happy with chrysler tranny's suck and thats a fact

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Could have sworn it was a Mitsu clutch in the R/T since it's a Mitsu engine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X