New standard in Automotive voltage???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New standard in Automotive voltage???

I just got into work and I overheard someone in the next cube over talking about a new automotive voltage standard. He said it was going to be 42V!!!!! 36V at the battery and 42 for the system.

He was reading an article, I plan on doing some searching on this later today, where they said because of all the new entertainment systems and the like in SUVs and luxury cars it is bound to happen. He went on to say the standard was going to happen around 2010 and the mentioned types of autos above would prolly get it first.

Anyone else heard of this?

Now I will finally be able to put that rack of servers in the boot to host my MP3s and movies to the multiple dumb terminals in the cab...

UPDATE

Man a quick google and I feel so behind the times...

http://mit42v.mit.edu/public/In_the_News/InTheNews.htm

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0402005178.htm

http://www.repp.org/discussion/ev/199909/msg00891.html
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

gah
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

Originally posted by jol
      gah
      WOW!!! Thanks for the response...
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

i knew i shouldnt have said anything, but i bumped your stupid thread atleast.

k it's not stupid but i had to say something.
        -
        My cars
        -

Comment

It will make it easier to regulate down to 12v
          I don't understand why 42 and not 48. There is already a 48v standard used in telco's, you can buy 48v power supplies.

When Compaq came out with their 1U server, they had an ad that had a 42U rack full of servers setting by a van and a guy flying a kite. I would have been more impresses if they had the rack inside the van. I always thought that would be cool, mount a rack in the back of a big SUV and have big outdoor lan parties or a big outdoor CCIE study session.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenen
            I don't understand why 42 and not 48.
            Saftey

Get a variable power supply that can go to 48 volts, start at 0v grab both leads and have someone start turning up the voltage, It will really start to hurt at about 40-48v (@45-55v can push enough current to kill you)
            and it is a 36v battery charged and running at 42v, a 48v battery system would be running at 56v
            If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble but this whole 36V/42V is old news. They've been designing it for years.
              why 42v and not 48v you ask? well it's like this. Car electrical system is refered as a 12v system. 6 cells at 2v per cell. In reality a fully charged battery reads 12.5-12.6v When the engine is running, the alternater puts out 14.4v Yet, we still call it a 12v electrical system dispite of 12.5-14.4v You take that and times 3 and what do you get, 36 volts. So in a 36 volt electrical systm with 18-2volt cells, a fully charged battery will be more like 37.8volts. When the engine is running, guess what, the alternator puts out 42-43v hints the name 36v/42v system.
              Why go with 36/42v system? SMALL power wires. For example, lets back track a high quality 500watt class AB amp with 50% efficiency, in a 12 volt system. 500w music+500heat=1000w. 1000w/12v=83.33 amps. The amp would need 83-84amps of current. If you're gonna mount the amp in the trunk you would need at least a 4 guage wire.
              Same amp in a 36v system. 500w music+500heat=1000w. 1000w/36v= 27.77amps. You could get away with using a 10 guage wire.
              Think of all the thick wires you can make smaller by going with 36/42v system. You can save ALOT of copper. Instead of using 10guage wires for ignition harness, you can use 18 guage ignition wires and phone cord wires for door locks and windows.
              Of course the 12/14v to 36/42v switch won't be over night. At first they'll co-exist, much like the 6v and 12v system back in the early 20th. When auto makers roll out 36/42v cars, aftermarket **** makers will come up with ways to integrade 12 volt radios to work in 36/42v cars.
              NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
              If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Hell, I wish they'd do it tomorrow

Anyone know where I can get a 42 volt alternator ?
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

i just read in a car stereo mag that it is going to start in 2004
                  99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Originally posted by cproaudio
                    Sorry to burst your bubble but this whole 36V/42V is old news. They've been designing it for years.
                    why 42v and not 48v you ask? well it's like this. Car electrical system is refered as a 12v system. 6 cells at 2v per cell. In reality a fully charged battery reads 12.5-12.6v When the engine is running, the alternater puts out 14.4v Yet, we still call it a 12v electrical system dispite of 12.5-14.4v You take that and times 3 and what do you get, 36 volts. So in a 36 volt electrical systm with 18-2volt cells, a fully charged battery will be more like 37.8volts. When the engine is running, guess what, the alternator puts out 42-43v hints the name 36v/42v system.
                    Why go with 36/42v system? SMALL power wires. For example, lets back track a high quality 500watt class AB amp with 50% efficiency, in a 12 volt system. 500w music+500heat=1000w. 1000w/12v=83.33 amps. The amp would need 83-84amps of current. If you're gonna mount the amp in the trunk you would need at least a 4 guage wire.
                    Same amp in a 36v system. 500w music+500heat=1000w. 1000w/36v= 27.77amps. You could get away with using a 10 guage wire.
                    Think of all the thick wires you can make smaller by going with 36/42v system. You can save ALOT of copper. Instead of using 10guage wires for ignition harness, you can use 18 guage ignition wires and phone cord wires for door locks and windows.
                    Of course the 12/14v to 36/42v switch won't be over night. At first they'll co-exist, much like the 6v and 12v system back in the early 20th. When auto makers roll out 36/42v cars, aftermarket **** makers will come up with ways to integrade 12 volt radios to work in 36/42v cars.
                    Its not necessarily a matter of saving copper so much as saving weight. The manufacturers here in the States are under the gun to improve fuel efficiency. One of the easiest ways is to reduce how much a vehicle weighs.
                    KG6OQD
                    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

Thats what I meant
                      NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                      If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Working...
                      X