Home made NOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made NOS

I guess alot of poeple here like doing their own things. Just got so tempted to make my own rather than buying one, I can see how cheap and easy it can be made :

http://www.nitrous.info/

Anyone have experience on this? more info would be nice

Originally posted by Ricky327
    I guess alot of poeple here like doing their own things. Just got so tempted to make my own rather than buying one, I can see how cheap and easy it can be made :

http://www.nitrous.info/

Anyone have experience on this? more info would be nice
    wow... not to sound like a adult... but i would think that building your own nitrous system (NOS is a tradmarked product) would be extremely dangerous. there are reasons that companies charge a lot for products... because they have extensive testing and regulations to follow.

if you use the proper equipment and components, then i would think you would have a decent design, but that would probably end up costing more than a pre-packaged kit.

plus. you wouldnt have any insurance should the product malfunction and destroy your car... after all, you designed it, and there will be no company warranty to fall back on to protect you.

keep in mind, i didnt read the link you posted, mostly b/c im at work and dont have the time, so, take what i say however you want.

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

LOL..that was the biggest scream I ever seen in a forum

Well by the look of the site it seems the parts are readily avaliable, just a matter of plumbing it all in. Ill read up more about it...the danger sounds cool...LOL

Im just more concern about getting hold of a bottle that can take the presure, fire extinguisher is the one to use. I got a used one and always wonder what to do with it...now I think I know, hehe.

Comment

LOL..that was the biggest scream I ever seen in a forum
        Thanks .... i try hard to impress

~mike
        Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
        PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
        2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

You'd better know what your doing if you intend to inject a shot of nitrous into your car's internals. This not a DIY deal and these systems are designed by engineers.

If everything is not to spec and perfectly designed you will either fry your car or end up hurting yourself very badly. I would also not put a Nitrous system on a turbo car where air/fuel ratios are premapped according to controller software.

That said - it would be pretty sick to have your own designed NOS system
          Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
          Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

And are you going to tune it? Better learn how to build and program our own Flip chip so you can tune it for nitrous and without nitrous. I wouldn't even think about trying to build a cheap nitrous system, even if I drove a POS!
            http://soniccobra03.150m.com/Pictures/CobraBanner.jpg

Comment

In the big picture, a predesigned kit is really not that expensive, plus they've gone through all the trouble of determining nozzles, pressures, et al. Even installing one on a carbed engine, I'd still go with a company's plate kit...

Comment

Well I guess im gonna have to buy one...just the thought of the big explosion scared the hell out of me.

It was more of an experimental...someone has to start somewhere? Theres always a first time in anything you do...LOL a dangerous one

I had the thought of sticking a 3.0L V6 on the back of my fiesta purely for track day. I just thought nitrous can be achieved quite easily.

But are the parts used on those kits standards? or custom made? I get an impression is that they were just all put in a kit with an installation manual? My idea was if I can buy all the right parts, injector, valves, tubing...as supplied in a kit then I can "probably" build a cheap system. Just like us building a carpc, we know we can buy bits here and there and make the whole thing.

I guess I got already bored with the camshaft I installed last few months...I think Ill install a stage 3 head instead.

Anyway thanks for the reply, I did wondered if any of you guys have nitrous, installed one or have been in a car with one

Comment

Nitrous is a gas. NOS is a company that makes nitrous and nitrous equipment.
                  Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                  Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                  "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Here's your basic guide to nitrous.
                    First, nitrous is not flammable. There are two benefits to using nitrous in the combustion process. When the nitrous is introduced, it breaks down into nitrogen and oxygen. It also cools the intake air (when a compressed gas expands, it absorbs heat)
                    So basically, you are adding a large charge of oxygen into your cylinders. This in itself does not increase power, it actually leans the fuel/air mixture out. So, now you need more fuel to combust with all the extra oxygen (hence more power.)

There are two types of nitrous kits, wet and dry. A wet kit injects the proper amount of fuel along with the nitrous, while a dry kit relies on the engine's fuel delivery system to supply the fuel.

If you get a dry kit, you will need to put the injector nozzles before the MAF. The MAF determines how much fuel the engine needs, and will adjust accordingly for the nitrous. A wet kit can be installed in the intake or also in a direct port fashion. (Piggyback the stock injectors ontop of the aftermarket injectors... The aftermarket injectors supply fuel and nitrous, the stock injectors supply the standard amount of fuel)

So, if you were to make your own, it would have to be a dry pre-MAF system (because I doubt you know the exact injector timing and volumes to implement a wet kit)

Part 2: USE OF NITROUS
                    It's not like in the Rice and the Rediculous... you don't have a steering wheel mounted switch that you hit and *BOOM*. What you have is an arming switch (that turns the system on), a full-thottle switch (that activates the system only when you are at full throttle) and a window switch (that only applies the nitrous from, say 3000 RPMs to just below your redline) That way you do not smoke your engine if you over-rev it. You can also program it to only work in 2nd gear and above (so you can get traction out of the hole)

So you arm the system, floor it, then you feel a huge blast when the system kicks in at the rpm range you specified. There are also 2 stage systems that will give you a small shot to get out of the hole, then a larger shot for when you have traction, maybe at the 1/8th mile point.

Got it?

Comment

Good info PFDarkside, very educational indeed

"If you get a dry kit, you will need to put the injector nozzles before the MAF. The MAF determines how much fuel the engine needs, and will adjust accordingly for the nitrous"

Yup its even easier for "home made" then since only the nitrous that needs to be injected and the fueling should adjust acordingly. Dont know if the computer is fast enough to react to inject more fuel on time, maybe it is?

"There are also 2 stage systems that will give you a small shot to get out of the hole, then a larger shot for when you have traction."

Yes I thought about having 2 injectors, the first will give a "shot" then having both of them on will give double "shot" only when its safe of course. I can see how easy it is to implement this.

In theory all thats needed are bottle, valves, injectors, connectors, tubing and switch. Im sure they can all be bought cheaply somewhere as used in the original kits.

The idea is :

It is always possible to do your own thing, just by doing alot of research, reading, common sense and of course an abilty to turn a screw driver

Comment

"Nitrous is a gas. NOS is a company that makes nitrous and nitrous equipment"

I think we already knew that I guess poeple are just still stuck with NOS in their head. Much easier to say colgate than toothpaste

Just out of interest what exactly has been done on your RX7? "highly modded"

Comment

Just out of interest what exactly has been done on your RX7? "highly modded"
                          At this point, it is an easier question to ask "what has not been done?".

You can check my website for a general idea, but it is out of date as far as mods go.
                          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

cool stuff

Comment

Little bit of Aussie NOS fun

http://www.mp3car.com/dload/My_Carona_n2o.wmv

Comment

Working...
                              X