Maintenance required...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance required...

Hey everyone, i drive a 2001 honda civic and the maintenance required thing turns on when i turn my car on. The thing blinks 10 times and then goes off, what does it mean(i know it stands for something..the 10 times) and how can i fix it, thanks everyone
    -Seabass

I bet it is some sort of code. I would check your manual, call a dealer, or try a honda forum. good luck
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Originally posted by Seabass
      Hey everyone, i drive a 2001 honda civic and the maintenance required thing turns on when i turn my car on. The thing blinks 10 times and then goes off, what does it mean(i know it stands for something..the 10 times) and how can i fix it, thanks everyone
      -Seabass
      I drive a 2002 Civic and my Maintenance Required Light starts blinking (not sure of the count) 8,000 miles after the last service. The light stays on all the time 10,000 miles after the last service. I'm pretty sure thats all it is. The dealer can reset it (I had them do it when i took it in for an oil change and they didn't charge me anything).

Michael Gourlay

Comment

your talking about your honda? Well I'm sure thats a CEL code. check with your dealership OR ask in http://www.honda-tech.com/
        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

w00t! First time I get to use my mechanics knowledge on this forum!

Ok, The maintanence required light on honda's kicks on after a pre-determined amount of miles set by the factory. To reset it, follow these steps:

1) with the key turned all the way off, press and hold the button on the right of your gauge panel

2) Hold the button for about 5 seconds, and WHILE STILL HOLDING the button down, turn your key forward to the run position, NOT START

3) Wait about 10 seconds, While still holding the button, the maintanence required light should start blinking, and then go out, NOW you can release the button and turn the key off.

4) Bingo,, you save yourself a trip to the dealer
          My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
          Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

how many miles til it kicks in?
            92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by MeanGT

Ok, The maintanence required light on honda's kicks on after a pre-determined amount of miles set by the factory. To reset it, follow these steps:

1) with the key turned all the way off, press and hold the button on the right of your gauge panel

2) Hold the button for about 5 seconds, and WHILE STILL HOLDING the button down, turn your key forward to the run position, NOT START

3) Wait about 10 seconds, While still holding the button, the maintanence required light should start blinking, and then go out, NOW you can release the button and turn the key off.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar333
                how many miles til it kicks in?

Not sure,, I think it actually calculates your driving style, (at least that is how the BMW's do it) based on how heavy your right foot it, etc.. And then determines when to kick the light on.

Many new cars have lights that tell you when to change the oil, a common misconception is that there is such thing as a sensor which reads when the oil is ready to be changed, but they are all mileage based in one way or another
                Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Worked like a charm :-D

Comment

wonder if it was on for a reason tho, lol....anyone know where i can see why it was blinking 10 times when i started...pretty sure it is the obd II code....10 times=?
                    Thnx

Comment

wonder if it was on for a reason tho, lol....anyone know where i can see why it was blinking 10 times when i started...pretty sure it is the obd II code....10 times=?
                      Thnx

It just blinks a bunch of times at first. If you drive for many more miles, the light will just stay on constant. It is just kind of warning you now. If the OBD-II is trying to get your attention, the SERVICE Engine, or CHECK Engine lights will come on,, there is a difference.

Comment

It just blinks a bunch of times at first. If you drive for many more miles, the light will just stay on constant. It is just kind of warning you now. If the OBD-II is trying to get your attention, the SERVICE Engine, or CHECK Engine lights will come on,, there is a difference.
                        Thanks for clearing it up for me

Comment

Thanks for clearing it up for me

Here is what my manual says (Page 64)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X