Bumper repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper repair

I found a ditch about a year ago and cracked my front bumper. It is a plastic bumper and i was wondering if anyone had any expirience repairing plastic bumpers.
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Originally posted by binary.h4x
    I found a ditch about a year ago and cracked my front bumper. It is a plastic bumper and i was wondering if anyone had any expirience repairing plastic bumpers.
    probalby better off replacing it. if you dont want to spend the money on a new one from the dealer ( i dont blame you) im sure you can pick one up from a auto salvage / junkyard.

just have it painted to match the car you have, probably the cheapest option to have a proper repair.

i doubt any patch type repair will stay together for a long time... but i've never done it.

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

i found an ebay based company that will ship and paint the bumper for around $200, only thing is, thats the money for my LCD.

Comment

I think what you need is 300 bumper stickers. That should hide the crack nicely.

A junk yard is probably your best bet for a new bumper cheap. I would have it painted by a local auto body shop though, If you have it painted off of the car the color won't match nearly as well. Remember, paint fades over time and when you replace a panel or a bumper you have to try and alter the paint mix to make it match up.

You'll never do it perfectly, but it will look much better if it's done at a good local shop.
        A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
        http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

There are multiple ways to approach the problem;I autoX and I find small problems in some of my bumpers a lot. Going to a local shop and having them do everything(purchasing part, painting, installing, etc.) is the most expensive way but also the best results. Going to an online company/e-bay or like previously stated to a salvage yard you should be able to find a bumper(especially for a civic, OEM or aftermarket) very easily, you could order it unpainted and then goto a local shop and have them match the paint, this way produces the same results for cheaper. And the third way which I prefer is to patch it yourself(if you need some ideas how to do this just post a pic of the damage and I'll try my best to describe a good way to go about fixing it), and then use some touch up paint or if it is fairly large damaged area fix it yourself and then take it to the shop to paint it.

- Phil '96 Eclipse(Long live DSMs)

Comment

well, someone i know has a plastic welder, so im gonna give that a try.

Comment

Working...
            X