03 VW Jetta GLS Black Box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 VW Jetta GLS Black Box?

I have this black box in my trunk... Its mounted on the ceiling of my trunk... Does anyone know what it is?

I was trying to figure it outbut my manual doesnt say anything about it and i cant tell what wires are coming out of the side because its to close the the side...

http://www.xmwallpapers.com/private/...ges/image9.htm

http://www.xmwallpapers.com/private/...es/image10.htm

Sorry they are not the best pictures... I will take better ones if needed... you can only really see the corner of the box but i thought someone who also has it would know...

I am thinkin its an amp but someone told me Jettas dont come w/ amps...
    XtReMoDs.com

Carputer Status (Not installed.)
    -VIA M10000 N
    -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
    -512MB PC2700 DDR
    -40GB 2.5" HD
    -SB Live!
    -Rand McNally GPS
    -DLink FM Tuner
    -XMRPC
    _

It might be just that. A black box.

Apparently, many new cars come with black boxes like those on airplanes, which will keep a record of how you were driving in the event of an accident. And they aren't telling anybody which cars have them and which ones don't.

I say take it off, open it up, and post pictures. I've wanted to see what these things are made up of.
    Don't Click

Comment

Do you have the Monsoon Stereo package? If so that is most likely the amplifier for the system. Can you post better pictures of the box for us to see?

Comment

Yes i have the Monsoon Stereo Package

XtReMoDs.com

-VIA M10000 N
        -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
        -512MB PC2700 DDR
        -40GB 2.5" HD
        -SB Live!
        -Rand McNally GPS
        -DLink FM Tuner
        -XMRPC
        _

Comment

its the extra computer that controlls non-engine crap
          radio compass that sort of thing
          Originally posted by menudude
          thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

i'm pretty sure it's an amp
            Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
            Mods: Yep
            Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

That is the amp since you have the Monsoon stereo. I have a Passat GLX which also has the Monsoon package and I have that same black box.

Comment

Cool... I thought it was an amp also... I just needed to make sure. I dont think its an extra computer... my car doesnt have a compase or anything... and there are only a few think cables coming from the side... no data cables or anything...

Thanks guys!
                XtReMoDs.com

-VIA M10000 N
                -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
                -512MB PC2700 DDR
                -40GB 2.5" HD
                -SB Live!
                -Rand McNally GPS
                -DLink FM Tuner
                -XMRPC
                _

Comment

GTI Amp Pics

If you want to see.... here is what the monsoon amp looks like without that shield covering it... your amp should have 2 connectors just as this one does (it's from a 2002 GTI).

Incase you are wondering.
                  One connector is power and the output to the 8 speakers.
                  The other one with the 8 wires (4 groups of 2 twisted together) is the signal input.)
                  Note that there is NO turn on lead on this amp, as we are all familar with. you must drive it with speker level inputs (which sounds great.. I am doing that with a Apline 9815 HU). I will post pics when I find the time.

PM Me if you want to talk about it!!

For your curiousity, here is a internal pic of the amp. I am going to modify it to add a remote turnon lead... when I do that, I will offer a service modifying other's monsoon amps for that feature.

Comment

I was planning on taking it out and putting in a soundstream 5.1 amp... I am guessing I will need to rewire my speakers
                    XtReMoDs.com

-VIA M10000 N
                    -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
                    -512MB PC2700 DDR
                    -40GB 2.5" HD
                    -SB Live!
                    -Rand McNally GPS
                    -DLink FM Tuner
                    -XMRPC
                    _

Comment

what are the specs on the soundstream amp? At the moment I would keep the monsoon amp and add a mono amp for a sub till we figure out what to do about the 8 speaker setup.

To replace the monsoon amp, you need to find 4 passive crossovers (and the correct crossover frequencies). It shouldn't be too hard, I just haven't had the urge to sit down and figure it out yet. MCM Electronics has a wide selection of passive crossovers to help get you started. Their website is rather annoying, so you should request their full catalog to look at. http://www.mcmelectronics.com They also sell other useful carputer -automotive stereo items and more.

Do you plan to install a carputer to replace the HU, or will you be using a an aftermarket headunit too? If you are installing a new headunit, I highly suggest you listen to the monsoon amp with a high-end aftermarket headunit first before you cut the cabling and remove it.

I originally was going to go your route, and changed my mind after hearing my new HU and the monsoon amp. It's very clear and loud!!

Comment

i have a 2000 monsoon
                        ran new speaker wire to all the speakers and put a new amp in for my computer

the speakers werent that hard to run, just getting the wire from the door sill to the speakers in the doors

ive done mine so many times, i could probably run the whole setup again in under an hour

id be happy to give you some pointers if thats the track you wanna do
                        oh and if you remove the monsoon amp
                        the headunit wont work with anything else

Comment

I actually wont have a head unit anymore. Just the computer...

Where does the wiring to? does it just slide through ez? some pictures of how to install new speakers and wiring would be awesome!
                          XtReMoDs.com

-VIA M10000 N
                          -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
                          -512MB PC2700 DDR
                          -40GB 2.5" HD
                          -SB Live!
                          -Rand McNally GPS
                          -DLink FM Tuner
                          -XMRPC
                          _

Comment

X, I am still voting against the 5.1 Soundstream. Get a nice Rockford Fosgate mono and a 4-way/multi-chan amp, and you will be good to go. I am not sure why you are hung up on 5.1, this is a car not a computer
                            1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

hes got a good point, but if he puts a computer in hes gotta change his amp

Comment

Working...
                              X