How to make a CPU Keychain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a CPU Keychain

I have a bunch of old 486's sitting around and (not that they are much to brag about any more) I was wondering how to make a keychain out of them. I've tried just about every drill bit imagineable on them short of diamond. I've been told that diamond is the way to go. Anyone know where to pick up one?
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Just wondering, how about drills for ceramic tiles?

Comment

Just use a regular drill bit. Its silicone and plastic. Unless they are made of diamond themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlawn Kemling

Just use a regular drill bit. Its silicone and plastic. Unless they are made of diamond themselves.

I wouldn't roll your eyes if you have never tried to drill through a CPU. They're tough little buggers, and the majority of the time you try to drill through them...you end up craking them into loads of pieces!

I gave up drilling my dead Duron 800, so in the end I super-glued a keyring to the bottom of it, where the pins are. I would have soldered it..but i didn't have any solder at the time!

Good luck!

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Use a Dremel drill with a silicon carbide bit (greenish stone).

Comment

Yup, you will need to go with a Dremel or any other high speed drilling source to keep from cracking.
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

When I had a CPU keychain I pulled a socket 7 socket off a dead motherboard and drilled a hole through that. Then I could upgrade the chip when I wanted. LOL
              Aura MR62 (F and R)
              My Current MP3s
              IamDefiler.com

Comment

Yeah i would use a Dremel or other high speed tool with a small bit (one that will fit in the chuck). Be careful drilling. I would make sure its clamped down or else you might send it flying. Better yet, if you can find a drill press, i'd use that. It's dangerous holding small items in your hand when drilling.

Comment

Yeah i would use a Dremel or other high speed tool with a small bit (one that will fit in the chuck). Be careful drilling. I would make sure its clamped down or else you might send it flying. Better yet, if you can find a drill press, i'd use that. It's dangerous holding small items in your hand when drilling.
                  That is a MUST. I was drilling holes for led's in the metal cover of a project box, the bit got caught in the metal and sent the cover across my wrist. Thankfully it just broke the skin and didnt cut anything important.

Comment

Ive drilled many RAMs and CPUs (dont ask why ;o ) and never had problems with cracking/breaking them. I used a Dremel and a bit that came with it.
                    Now i have CPU (AMD 1Ghz....no, wait its AMD 2100+, almost forgot) hanging on my cars mirror...
                    and memory keychain:
                    Attached Files
                    Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
                    My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

You know your a geek when you have processors hanging from your mirror in your car. I love this.... I thought I was bad when I had 5 dead motherboards 7 dead hard drives, a few modems and video cards hanging in my cubicle at work.
                      New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by R3l0ad
                        You know your a geek when you have processors hanging from your mirror in your car.
                        I'm just amazed that so many people have even thought of having an old cpu on their keyring!! Why?
                        Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by R3l0ad
                          You know your a geek when you have processors hanging from your mirror in your car. I love this.... I thought I was bad when I had 5 dead motherboards 7 dead hard drives, a few modems and video cards hanging in my cubicle at work.
                          You should make a mobile out of them.

Comment

I'm just amazed that so many people have even thought of having an old cpu on their keyring!! Why?

Why not?

Ive seen bullet, sharktooth, stone, shells, penknife, torch, car badges, dildoes...the list goes on so why not CPU Abit of imagination wont hurt

Ill rather have that than a full size CD on my chest

Comment

486's and some early pentiums had housings of ceramic. I've tried high speed drills with regular, titanium, cement, and tile cutting bits. They didn't even score the surface! I ended up gluing a key ring, but that doesn't hold too long.

I'll give a silicon carbide bit a shot.

I'm waiting for one of my plastic pentiums to go, but they just keep chugging along...
                              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Working...
                              X