who's got a DVR for TV?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who's got a DVR for TV?

I am about to start learing about DVR's. Is there a way to get the digital video off of the box once you have recorded it? Anybody know what format they record in? Anybody want to record the Blue Man Group special off of DirecTV for me? There is precious little I want to record from TV, but I would like to get this.
    Peter
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Allow me to save you some money (definitely not time):

www.mythtv.org
    Don't Click

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
      Allow me to save you some money (definitely not time):

www.mythtv.org
      both MythTV and Freevo are great systems (I personally use MythTV) but they don't necessarily save you money or time. Definately not time. And with the price of Series2 80hr Tivo's at $250 right now, it is hard to get a good PVR capture card/mobo/hd/etc... for that price.
      COMPLETE: [*********] 100%
      CAR: '02 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally
      SYSTEM: EPIA M10000
      GPS: HaiCOMM 303e GPS, Routis 2004
      DISPLAY: 7" Xenarc 700TSV
      POWER: OPUS PW-70a + ITPS Combo
      MISC: DVD, WLAN

Comment

yea yea, thats what I want!
        How do you move the data from the device to your PC. USB download? Cat5?
        Do I have to buy a service or can I buy a system and just record whatever channel my receiver is on?

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

i use mythtv and love it. I'd get a tivo but it'll cost me the $250 plus $250 for life time service. So i took an old p3 and got a pvr-250 and boom a great dvr. The best part it does a whole lot more like dvd/mp3/videos/mame/weather and you can make it run a website you can schedule recordings via the web
          '98 Explorer Sport
          http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
          AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
          80% done

Comment

Only $250? Don't forget the $120 a year in fees you'll pay just to get a program listing.

My MythTV box displays the weather, has a full (free) program listing, plays all my divx/DVD/VCD movies, and even lets me pull up my Mame games. So I probably spent $300 for all the hardware, but that's $70 in savings the first year and $120 after that.

Edit: Whoops. Imagine this post is between cpjolicoeur's and chut's.
            Don't Click

Comment

Don't Click

Comment

If you use MythTV or Freevo you can just move stuff to PC's over your network. Both of those systems are PC's you build yourself, so it would work just like anyother type of PC on your LAN. You can transcode the videos that are recorded to whatever format you wanted and move them over the network/USB/CD-R.

If you use TiVO, you would either have to hack the box or use their Home Media Option, which gives you the networking package to move videos over the network. However, the TiVO system doesnt let you move them to the PC's harddrive. You can only stream the videos off of the TiVO to another PC to watch them.

I personally have both a TiVO series 2 80hr DVR and a MythTV box, so anyquestions you have on either, let me know.

Comment

ATI's capture cards come with PVR software, and the new All-In-Wonder's with the RF remote kick butt. I have a AIW9600 that I bought for about $170 a couple months ago and it works great.

The problem with the software is that it doesnt automatically download program listings and the listings it does download are only for the next 7 days. if the listings are expired, it won't do anything until you acknowldge that your listings are old.

basically, it means that you can't schedule a recording operation more than 7 days away.
                  Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                  Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!
                  I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Thank you for the offer of help, i will need it. I've got an AMD 900 box with a gig of ram laying around. This would seem to be enough of a system to get started on a Myth box. What video card would y'all recommend for recording from the satellite receiver, cable in obviously...but how do I run the signal back out to the TV. Svideo out? TV out? from the video card that is also a dvr? Sorry, like I said I will be learning alot about this. Can anyone record this special for me as I'll probably not be done with the myth box until after this one goes away. I can send a HDD!

Originally posted by cpjolicoeur
                    If you use MythTV or Freevo you can just move stuff to PC's over your network. Both of those systems are PC's you build yourself, so it would work just like anyother type of PC on your LAN. You can transcode the videos that are recorded to whatever format you wanted and move them over the network/USB/CD-R.

If you use TiVO, you would either have to hack the box or use their Home Media Option, which gives you the networking package to move videos over the network. However, the TiVO system doesnt let you move them to the PC's harddrive. You can only stream the videos off of the TiVO to another PC to watch them.

I personally have both a TiVO series 2 80hr DVR and a MythTV box, so anyquestions you have on either, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
                      Only $250? Don't forget the $120 a year in fees you'll pay just to get a program listing.

My MythTV box displays the weather, has a full (free) program listing, plays all my divx/DVD/VCD movies, and even lets me pull up my Mame games. So I probably spent $300 for all the hardware, but that's $70 in savings the first year and $120 after that.

Edit: Whoops. Imagine this post is between cpjolicoeur's and chut's.
                      gutter, if you read my posts, you will see that I have said several times that I HAVE A MYTHTV BOX!!! I use it and love it. I know there is a $12.95/month or $299/one-time fee for using TiVO and that you get free listings from XMLTV with MythTV. I KNOW that is has way more features. Why do you think I use it. I was just laying out the different options. I think that if you are starting from scratch, the $295 for the TiVO + the $299 for one-time fee = $700 can still be cheaper than building a MythTV box depending on how much/what quality parts you buy for your MythTV PC

Comment

Originally posted by chut
                        Thank you for the offer of help, i will need it. I've got an AMD 900 box with a gig of ram laying around. This would seem to be enough of a system to get started on a Myth box. What video card would y'all recommend for recording from the satellite receiver, cable in obviously...but how do I run the signal back out to the TV. Svideo out? TV out? from the video card that is also a dvr? Sorry, like I said I will be learning alot about this. Can anyone record this special for me as I'll probably not be done with the myth box until after this one goes away. I can send a HDD!
                        I personally like using the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 or PVR-350 are the best cards used with MythTV. They are the cards that are most actively developed for and have the biggest user base for you to get help with. The PVR-350 has a built-in hardware video encoder that will save you from having to encode with software (which would be taxing on only a 900Mhz processor).

As far as video, I just run an S-Video cable from my machine to the TV.

Comment

Does anyone know of any software like MythTV or Freevo, or anything for that matter that supports the "Season Pass" feature in Tivo? For those who don't have Tivo, the "Season Pass" feature will automatically record all episodes of a show for you, so if you are watching a series you only schedule the recording once.

Comment

Ok, I looked up the PVR350 and found one on ebay also. It says its cable ready. So the tuner will work on a cable system. But, I'm using a satellite system. Does this mean Im going to have to take the output from the satellite receiver anb connect it to my pc? And then use the satellite receiver to choose what I record? I'm guessing that attaching a cable directly from my LNB will not work as the card is not a "satellite" receiver. But if I had cable then I could do that?

I personally like using the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 or PVR-350 are the best cards used with MythTV. They are the cards that are most actively developed for and have the biggest user base for you to get help with. The PVR-350 has a built-in hardware video encoder that will save you from having to encode with software (which would be taxing on only a 900Mhz processor).

As far as video, I just run an S-Video cable from my machine to the TV.

Comment

gutter, if you read my posts, you will see that I have said several times that I HAVE A MYTHTV BOX!!!
                              And when did I ever say you didn't?
                              Don't Click

Comment

Working...
                              X