Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.1 Mile Wireless Bridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3.1 Mile Wireless Bridge

    In January my house was struck by lightning, just about everything bit the dust including my Satellite modem(no broadband available @ my house), a friend and I decided to do a wireless bridge between my house and his, since A) 1 sec + lag SUCKS
    B) Starband SUCKS
    C) he has a cable modem
    D) I can't get anything (my phone line is lucky that it works for voice)
    E Couldn't think of anything cooler to do.

    Se ended up with 1 47 foot Roan tower and a 52 foot guyed pole (which will be replaced since it can't really get over my oak tree( come to find out the tree is like 70 feet tall) like I thought it would.

    The link is working, it is slow due to poor signal quality(apparently due to oak tree) we get like -56Db so signal strength isn't the primary problem.

    I'm going to try and find some more pics from after it was completed later on if you guys want me to.

    Any how I thought you guys would appreciate some pics.
    Attached Files
    2002 Golf TDI With Phatbox . Blue 87 Supra Needs to go, Grey 89 Targa with stock Radio.

  • #2
    LOL sweet! I've actually been thinking about doing this... but on a much smaller scale. Sharing internet with the grandparents who live a few houses behind us. Thinking some cantennas would work. Anyhow, dude that is awesome.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Suprapc
      In January my house was struck by lightning, just about everything bit the dust including my Satellite modem(no broadband available @ my house), a friend and I decided to do a wireless bridge between my house and his, since A) 1 sec + lag SUCKS
      B) Starband SUCKS
      C) he has a cable modem
      D) I can't get anything (my phone line is lucky that it works for voice)
      E Couldn't think of anything cooler to do.

      Se ended up with 1 47 foot Roan tower and a 52 foot guyed pole (which will be replaced since it can't really get over my oak tree( come to find out the tree is like 70 feet tall) like I thought it would.

      The link is working, it is slow due to poor signal quality(apparently due to oak tree) we get like -56Db so signal strength isn't the primary problem.

      I'm going to try and find some more pics from after it was completed later on if you guys want me to.

      Any how I thought you guys would appreciate some pics.
      thats sweet...hmn...cut down the oak tree
      rebuilding carpc... kinda..

      Comment


      • #4
        Cutting the top off the oak tree was the origional plan, but I'd have to cut 20+ feet off and that is simply not an option.
        2002 Golf TDI With Phatbox . Blue 87 Supra Needs to go, Grey 89 Targa with stock Radio.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Suprapc
          Cutting the top off the oak tree was the origional plan, but I'd have to cut 20+ feet off and that is simply not an option.
          Did you get permission from FAA? It could be hazardous to local news choppers

          But actually its pretty sweet, you don't have anything between you and your friend except for the tree?
          Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

          Comment


          • #6
            thats cool, check this out http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by arkadiyp
              Did you get permission from FAA? It could be hazardous to local news choppers

              But actually its pretty sweet, you don't have anything between you and your friend except for the tree?
              You only have to register with the FAA over 200 feet (some say 190) you also have to light it @ that altitude

              Not much around here, I live on the prarie.

              Binary
              I already built one, I prefer my Yagi with Orinoco, however the cable for my Orinoco cost more than that entire setup so. . .
              2002 Golf TDI With Phatbox . Blue 87 Supra Needs to go, Grey 89 Targa with stock Radio.

              Comment


              • #8
                how much that all cost you?
                My Mazda 3s

                My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

                [||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Netgear Wg302 ~$200 Each
                  24 Db Dishes $60 Each
                  Roan Tower Free
                  1 yard concrete $100
                  Assd Hardware $100
                  50' 2" pipe ~$100
                  Guy Wire ~$60
                  N->RPSMA adapter pigtail to peak dishes $45
                  + lots more little things I can't remember

                  It would be much easier/ cheaper without the tower part, but you can use the towers for other things also. They already withstood severe thunder storm winds (worse than the Hurricane) so I'm happy with the survivability.
                  2002 Golf TDI With Phatbox . Blue 87 Supra Needs to go, Grey 89 Targa with stock Radio.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X