Performance Mods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Mods

So, itís getting deep into the summertime and I'm itching for a project to occupy my time and to keep me broke. Seeing as I now drive my car every single day, I've been considering adding some performance mods to make it more fun to drive.

So my question to everyone out there is, how do performance mods effect the life of my engine/transmission/drive train? I can only assume that adding power will shorten the lifespan, but I've yet to really do enough research into this to know how much.

Also, if anyone has any good websites that can tell me about how different modifications effect performance, along with reviews, that would be most helpful.

I have a '93 Accord SE with an automatic transmission.
    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Check on www.honda-tech.com they will probably have a lot of info for you.
    '02 GTI
    [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
    [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
    [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
    [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
    Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

DEPENDS ON THE MOD.

Intakes, no.
      exhaust no.
      Anything that changes the way the engine runs, compressio, ect.. yes (aka, turbos, nitrous, superchargers) depending on how you use them and the design of the system. Dont expect your car to last as long as you want to if it wasnt designed for it.
      2011 Nissan Frontier SL
      AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
      OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

honda-tech, is the best website, i have an acura and learned alot, like the other guy said, intake, header and exhaust, will not hurt, but you would only get like a 20hp, since it is an accord. i would save your money, to see any significant difference, you would need to swap out engines, or add a turbo, change everything to forged, and the whole 9 yards, and then if done right it can last a long time, i say save, your money towards a down payment. In my acura, it would cost waay to much to see a huge difference

Comment

I wasn't thinking of more then an intake honestly, nor did I expect to get more then 20+ hp out of it. Anything more extensive and it would be more then a single day job, and I can't have my car not working for that long. (Not to mention I lack the skills for serious mods).

Honda tech is great, but I've still got 1 question. If I added an intake would there be a noticeable difference, and where would I feel it? (Acceleration, top speed. fuel economy, etc.)

I'd consider an exhaust too, but I just spent over 600 bucks recently having my exhaust redone stock, so **** that.

Edit: spellcheck.

Comment

IIght you have a CB7 wit is a 90-93 Accord wat you need to do is check out CB7tuner.com its a site 100% about your car dat has every type of mod u can think of doing and a huge DIY forum dat will help since your broke (i kno how dat is ) i had to register too let u in on da site bro its great trust me i been lookin tru here for about 2 monthz now just like to say great site you guys got going here and i have learned alot from your guyz

Comment

Try this project: http://teamdelsol.com/technical/howt...ke/default.asp Its a good write up on a DIY cold air intake. With the intake the major difference your gonna see is better throttle response and the intake will make more noise.
              2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

I got a good mod for you
                sell the honda and get a real car.. like a Nissan!!!!

Eat That HonDUh Kids!
                Originally posted by menudude
                thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

hater^

Comment

Originally posted by SjLucky
                    I got a good mod for you
                    sell the honda and get a real car.. like a Nissan!!!!

Eat That HonDUh Kids!

Note your status

Vehicle: 95 Nissan 200sx SE DIED

Note the fact your nissan is a 95 and is DEAD. While my honda is from 93, has 84K on it and still runs, handles and looks brand new. Perhaps you're the one who needs a real car?

/pwnd

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                      Try this project: http://teamdelsol.com/technical/howt...ke/default.asp Its a good write up on a DIY cold air intake. With the intake the major difference your gonna see is better throttle response and the intake will make more noise.
                      GREAT resource! Thanks! I just may give that a shot. Throttle response was also exactly what I was looking to improve too

Comment

Perhaps you're the one who needs a real car?

Proudly saying "DIED" = I crashed it bad and so it died

I could be wrong but its something to be proud of for some reason. To some it probably mean I drive fast with no fear but then again it probably mean I cant drive and so I crashed

Comment

If you are modding your car, make sure you upgrade your clutch as well as the handling, brakes and so on.

You will naturaly drive the car harder when you know you got that extra power...its the feeling of that achievement even though the mod made no difference at all, the loud exhaust is enough to make you do this

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                            Perhaps you're the one who needs a real car?

Proudly saying "DIED" = I crashed it bad and so it died

I could be wrong but its something to be proud of for some reason. To some it probably mean I drive fast with no fear but then again it probably mean I cant drive and so I crashed

I'd use the word "totaled" if I crashed a car. Use of the word "died" connotates it stopped running due to mechanical failure.

and I'd say it means you can't drive as well as you thought.

Comment

Off topics :

I just had some scary experience, I thought Ill post it.

I'd use the word "totaled" if I crashed a car.

Saying that, I nearly done the same hitting a car while reversing at high speed. Literally just now on my way home I was attacked by a group of youth. They start banging at the car with their fist, so I reversed out of the deadend and once I got further away they start throwing brick at us. Thanks god the windscreen didnt smash, the GF was well shaken then.

They must have thought I was the rival gang or something

Oh man I have never reversed so fast in a public road before.

Comment

Working...
                              X