Time For a New Vid CarD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For a New Vid CarD

Ok, I'm going to get a new video card. Mostly because I want to run Doom 3 When it comes out. Rumors have it that there is pretty much no system commercially available that can run Doom 3 at full resolution with all it's eye candy.

I can live with playing 800x600 with some eye candy turned down. I'm running 2.5 Ghz with a Gig of 333 DDR. I have an 8x agp port. I currently have a 128 MB FX 5200.

I'm looking to drop about ~$200 on a new video card. Anyone have soem good suggestions? I'd rather not sift through site after site of reviews.
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Anyone ?
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Pick up a 256MB FX5700 ($105 here: http://www.buyxtremegear.com/xfx5700le256.html), I think you'll be much happier with it than the 5200. If you can afford it though go for the FX6800, you shouldn't have to upgrade again for a while at least.

Comment

I wouldn't get anything less than a 9800 Pro, or a used 9700 Pro. A 9800 Pro can be had from Newegg for ~$200, and is by far the best bang-for-the-buck. A used 9700 Pro can be had for about $150ish i reckon.

Almost anything else is going to be struggling at 800x600 with medium details! That 5200 is going to struggle with anything you throw at it...i've even heard people complain that it's too slow for Counter-Strike, which is a 6 year old game!

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
          That 5200 is going to struggle with anything you throw at it...i've even heard people complain that it's too slow for Counter-Strike, which is a 6 year old game!Garry

haha, it runs CS fine but Halo is horrible. Even if I OC it I have to play at 800x600 with little detail. I'm running a 17" LCD which is 1280x1024 native.
          ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Runs decent on my computer with low settings (I am getting almost 30fps @ 640x480):

P3 933
            384MB Ram
            Geforce 5600 FX Ultra (Stupid VIA chipset only allows 2x with nvidia cards)

I really have not been impressed with the game so far, too much hype. I have been meaning to upgrade my computer, but something else always pops up.
            ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
            Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
            All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
            Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

Comment

I don't have any problem with 1024x768 on the following hardware

Specs:
              ===========
              2 x Athlon MP 2000+
              1.5 gig pc2700 ecc ddr
              9600XT
              -- WireSix, Inc. --
              MP3Car Lives Here!

Comment

I'm working on cinvincing my wonderful girlfriend to buy me an X800... $399
                ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

if she would really do that, let me buy HER from you for the biggest and meanest vidcard available
                  List of front-ends/usefull apps
                  XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

hmmm maybe send a picture first lol
                    List of front-ends/usefull apps
                    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Originally posted by JC-S60
                      hmmm maybe send a picture first lol
                      You mean of the Video Card right ?
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                        oops great minds ha!
                        [H]4 Life
                        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                        I'm a lesbian too.
                        I am for hire!

Comment

No less than a 9800 Pro like Confused said. True the nVidias run it faster but at least you'll have a true DX9 card and Half-Life 2 (when ever the hell it comes out!?!?!?!) will look damn good. Try to get a 256 meg one if you can as you will be able to turn on the higher quality settings with less of a hit in performance.

My setup: 2500+ Barton running at 3200+ speed with 190FSB. 512Ram 9800 non-pro running at pro speeds. I'm running doom3 in High quality @ 800 x 600 w/ vsync on. I get good frame rates but really need 1Gig of RAM to get rid of some of the slide show effects when entering new rooms and such.
                          Aura MR62 (F and R)
                          My Current MP3s
                          IamDefiler.com

Comment

Working...
                          X