Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audioscrobbler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Audioscrobbler

    Found this new plugin for winamp/itunes/xmms/WMP etc etc that gets the info of songs you have been playing and uploads it to the server to create statistics, each person getis their own stats page (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/NicP/) and you can create groups and it will do stats on the entire group (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/MP3Car) so yeah, download it (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/download.php) and join up to the mp3car group
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

  • #2
    XMMS! Horrah! Will do it definetly
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

    Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

    Comment


    • #3
      Yah...A new way for the man to keep me down. Now big brother can catalog my listening habits even more...I think I'll pass
      "I'm a dick!"
      "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by migel628
        Yah...A new way for the man to keep me down. Now big brother can catalog my listening habits even more...I think I'll pass
        um what is this supposed to mean?
        Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

        Comment


        • #5
          He thinks its a corporate/government influenced web site that will attempt to monitor his listening habits in order to increase profits and/or spew out propaganda.
          Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
          Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

          Head units are for cheaters!
          sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lgbr
            He thinks its a corporate/government influenced web site that will attempt to monitor his listening habits in order to increase profits and/or spew out propaganda.
            Not so much that, however it is a tracking service. What could we do to stop them from selling the collected information to the RIAA or some other big business? In theory, they could then use that to start targeting people for more lawsuits. Then said person would have to prove that their music collection is completely legal. That process would not only take up time, but add to possibly already high stress levels. Of course, that is the extreme case, but why bother?
            "I'm a dick!"
            "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by migel628
              Not so much that, however it is a tracking service. What could we do to stop them from selling the collected information to the RIAA or some other big business? In theory, they could then use that to start targeting people for more lawsuits. Then said person would have to prove that their music collection is completely legal. That process would not only take up time, but add to possibly already high stress levels. Of course, that is the extreme case, but why bother?
              i think you are being terribly paranoid, there are thousands of people on that site, and i doubt that the RIAA is going to waste money to verify everyones music collection, additionally they are more concerned with people distributing/sharing files, not playing them. Statistically its interesting and useful to see who plays what music where, if anything this would be benifical to music/record companies and consumers alike
              Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

              Comment


              • #8
                The RIAA targets distributors, not listeners.
                Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

                Head units are for cheaters!
                sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lgbr
                  The RIAA targets distributors, not listeners.

                  Not true, They have sued several individuals for downloading without paying for the music. That would be a copyright suit.
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

                  Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

                  Read the FAQ!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                    Not true, They have sued several individuals for downloading without paying for the music. That would be a copyright suit.
                    yes but they have targeted the distributers: person downloads song through kazaa or whatever from riaa, riaa checks if they have large amounts of mp3s shared, they then sue this person for downloading the file (they cant sue them for distrubuting because they have no evidence of this)

                    this is at least what i have heard
                    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nic
                      yes but they have targeted the distributers: person downloads song through kazaa or whatever from riaa, riaa checks if they have large amounts of mp3s shared, they then sue this person for downloading the file (they cant sue them for distrubuting because they have no evidence of this)

                      this is at least what i have heard
                      It's not beyond the RIAA to use this service to target potential downloaders. They may mostly go after those who share, but they could fire off a letter to you stating that you DLed such & such based off of those stats. Then it would be up to you to prove otherwise. In this instance, you would be guilty until proven innocent...That's just how the RIAA works.
                      "I'm a dick!"
                      "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by migel628
                        It's not beyond the RIAA to use this service to target potential downloaders. They may mostly go after those who share, but they could fire off a letter to you stating that you DLed such & such based off of those stats. Then it would be up to you to prove otherwise. In this instance, you would be guilty until proven innocent...That's just how the RIAA works.
                        The 'proof' they would be looking for for each song is the original recipt for purchase and the orig CD with the case. Having the Tape or LP is not good enough. It must be a digital orig. to count.
                        TruckinMP3
                        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

                        Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

                        Read the FAQ!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by migel628
                          It's not beyond the RIAA to use this service to target potential downloaders. They may mostly go after those who share, but they could fire off a letter to you stating that you DLed such & such based off of those stats. Then it would be up to you to prove otherwise. In this instance, you would be guilty until proven innocent...That's just how the RIAA works.
                          i dont believe this is true under australian law, i dont have time now to prove it but generally a suspicion isnt enough to take action unless you are a member of the police.
                          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It may not be so right now, but give it time, I beleive your version of the RIAA is the ARIA & it's only a matter of time before they become dicks like our lovable RIAA...
                            "I'm a dick!"
                            "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sharing is also distributing. If I only download songs without the possibility of giving it to others, then there's nothing that can be done to me. The only cases the RIAA has made against individuals is for those that are sharing.
                              Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                              Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

                              Head units are for cheaters!
                              sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X