Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the sign says STOP, then STOP! (rant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the sign says STOP, then STOP! (rant)

I was making a right turn at a red today and while stopped and looking for traffic, some moron high school kid in a Chevy Lumina ran into me from behind. I know none of you are dumb enough to run red lights, but why does it happen so often? He was on the job - in a company car! What was his rush? Why did he have to make the turn so fast that he couldn't look in front of him?

It just ****es me off. Here I am on the verge of a new carputer and some prick tries to steal my glory. Thank goodness there was little damage - the new trailer hitch I installed last week took 99% of the blow. My can of Mt. Dew took the remainder and showered the dash with sugary goo.

Go figure - My relentless persistence to follow the letter of the law would get me cold cocked by someone in an old beater. My first accident in 10 years - at least it wasn't severe enough to get the insurance companies involved...

Edit: To add a bit of irony - I was on my way home from johns auto looking for a new dashboard to hack apart for the Xenarc. WTF.
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

You mean people there actually know what stop means? Here in Atlanta you can count on atleast 3 cars going through a red light! I think it's a unwriten law or something. Here's another one. How many of you know what to do when you see a flashing yellow light? Seems most drivers here don't know.
    It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

Four-way stops are the worst. They always seem to generate confusion, as people don't know what to do or how to react.
      I disticntly remember on my drivers test, even though it was 20 years ago, that the person arriving at the intersection FIRST gets the right-of-way. But people hem and haw and try to guage people's reaction.
      **** that. If you're going to pause, I'll take your damned right-of-way while you figure out what the **** you're doing.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
        Four-way stops are the worst. They always seem to generate confusion, as people don't know what to do or how to react.
        I disticntly remember on my drivers test, even though it was 20 years ago, that the person arriving at the intersection FIRST gets the right-of-way. But people hem and haw and try to guage people's reaction.
        **** that. If you're going to pause, I'll take your damned right-of-way while you figure out what the **** you're doing.

We don't have four ways like that. Round here they stick a roundabout in the middle

Comment

Originally posted by more mods
          You mean people there actually know what stop means? Here in Atlanta you can count on atleast 3 cars going through a red light! I think it's a unwriten law or something. Here's another one. How many of you know what to do when you see a flashing yellow light? Seems most drivers here don't know.

Same in Denver, totaly sucks.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I have to go through a few 4 ways on the way to work. I'll actually stop early so I can go on through first

Comment

Originally posted by LowMileLude
              I'll actually stop early so I can go on through first
              Yep - me too!
              I think I'm going to move to Germany. They have this law that says you can't pass on the left. Hence, it's also illegal to be in the left lane holding up traffic. That law alone would force 95% of MN drivers to drive smarter!
              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
                some moron high school kid in a Chevy Lumina ran into me from behind....at least it wasn't severe enough to get the insurance companies involved.

Uhm... if you were rear ended and took damage, its automatically their fault. Why sit here and rant when you could be taking some action?

Comment

Here's another one. How many of you know what to do when you see a flashing yellow light? Seems most drivers here don't know.
                  Well, I have always been told yellow was "speed up" so flashing yellow must mean downshift and floor it? lol

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I often yell at other drivers on my way to work, they cant hear me but it makes me feel better.
                  2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
                    Well, I have always been told yellow was "speed up" so flashing yellow must mean downshift and floor it? lol

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I often yell at other drivers on my way to work, they cant hear me but it makes me feel better.

Nah, yellow means tighten your seat belt cause it might get bumpy...

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer

Same here Yellow always means gun it before it turns red.
                      Yell all you want, I do it all the time, it calms my nerves.
                      Installed
                      Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                      512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                      Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                      [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I was in Brazil last year. Driving is a bit different than in the USA.

For one thing, a light can be flashing yellow for both roads, at an intersection, at the same time. I only realized this when it came time to make evasive manuevers! It wasn't all that close, but it was totally unexpected.

You don't stop at red lights in the late night either. They are treated more as a yield sign. It's a good idea to leave yourself alternative directions to go, should you need to leave the intersection in a hurry (in case of ambush - I am serious).

Comment

How many of you know what to do when you see a flashing yellow light? Seems most drivers here don't know.
                          Sound horn and accelerate.
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Go figure - My relentless persistence to follow the letter of the law would get me cold cocked by someone in an old beater. My first accident in 10 years - at least it wasn't severe enough to get the insurance companies involved..
                            WTF. and why would you not get insurance involved? you could get the money to fix the damage to your car and say you will get it fixed with your own mechanic, and just never get it fixed and pocket the $$ for your car puter!

ESPECIALLY if the other person was driving a company car...they will not fight it and blaime it on the guy. and his insurance will not go up nor yours. so what is there to loose? that's what you freakin pay insurance for, get some back.
                            "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                            Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Thank goodness there was little damage - the new trailer hitch I installed last week took 99% of the blow. My can of Mt. Dew took the remainder and showered the dash with sugary goo.
                              I would get a trailer hitch for my car, but it would look like ****. Plus, it wouldn't have saved my car from being hit from the side.

I've never seen a flashing yellow, but in Cali, a flashing red light means a 4 way stop.

And yeh, I'd rather go through the guy's insurance. But I'm nice enough to give the guy a chance to pay in cash (would be my loss since I'd only end up getting $150).
                              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                              GammaControl v2.4
                              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                              X