Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

media-based linux, low end requirements?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• media-based linux, low end requirements?

Okay folks, I am in need of linuxy goodness on a spare comp I have. ancient thing, but it's functional. I want to make it a media center. it's got barely anything(I think it's only got 32 megabytes of ram.), so a form of linux built around low end computers would be good. also, this is going to be used by the whole family, so command liney stuff won't work. any reccomendations? Also, an easy way to rip CDs would be great as well, plus a way to play movies and DVDs, if possible.
    softmodded xbox, PSOne screen, inverter. simple and effective. Combine with PDA and head unit with aux input, and we're having a wonderful time.

What's the specs on the processor? (divx/dvd) Guessing from the amount of ram, movies might be a little out of your range even running linux....
    http://www.mythtv.org/ will do what you want and more....but like I said - your computer might not be up to it.

Comment

I think 800 MHz or something similar.
      softmodded xbox, PSOne screen, inverter. simple and effective. Combine with PDA and head unit with aux input, and we're having a wonderful time.

Comment

It oughta be fine then. My 200mhz machine came with 32mb of ram tho....you might want to upgrade the ram a little if it's only 32 like you said. Besides, ram is fairly cheap anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X