Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Idea need some help?

Hey guys this will sound stupid but...

Im making a 3d world that u can explore based on this hardware im making.

What im making is a Bike simulator

I want to make the exercise bike a bit more fun :P so i thought if i could get the speed of the wheels and the stearing into the 3d world i can explore/ride around the world.

Think of a exercise bike which when u pedal your moving through the streets of GTA vice city.

The faster u pedal the faster u go through the streets and when u turn the handle you turn around corners.

Now Im gonna use a old Mouse and hack that for the steering like used in mame.

But i dont know what i can use sense the speed of the wheels spinning.

Does anyone have any idea on a serial device i could use?

I know it's a wierd idea just thought id make it into something fun
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

What about taking a fan reading off your motherboard using a fan driven by the bike - a bit of a silly idea but might work. Otherwise hook up an optical pickup to shine through a holes mounted on the wheel and have some kind of pic circuit that counts the number of passes per second and outputs it - can't be too hard. Maybe you could hack up an onlt exercise bike for bits.

found this but a bit expensive: http://www.ambientweather.com/ex46ditacowi.html

Comment

will the game you are playing allow multiple speed functions? Is the game just walk and run?
      I GIVE FREE HUGS!
      Buy Sell or Trade
      If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
      Thank you
      Forex
      Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Well what i really want is u go the speed your pedaling at so when u gotta go up a hill or race u gotta go faster.

Im not sure the Fan idea will work but then again it could?

Im sure iv seen serial Fans where u can set the speed on the PC so i'll look into that

What id really like is to build Citys where u can cycle through and some dirt tracks maybe BMX track where u must pedal faster for hills etc

I could cheap out and get a game and turn the exercise bike into a controller but then again if u pedal normal speed or faster speed it wouldnt tell a difference.

But i might go that way as its simpler
        CarPC Status:

Comment

sorry didnt know you were making the game. What about the little magnets on the spokes? Ya know it counts how far/speed and how many calories ya lost... Im sure ya could figure out the math for it.
          I GIVE FREE HUGS!
          Buy Sell or Trade
          Thank you
          Forex
          Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

How would you shoot in GTA from the bike
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

old scool nintendo gun for duckhunt. and one handed.
              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
              Buy Sell or Trade
              Thank you
              Forex
              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                lol i was meaning that as an example a 3d world like that where u can pedal around

i'll look around for that magnet thing u were talking about
                CarPC Status:

Comment

i forgot to add magnets and a reed switch when I mentioned hacking an old exercise bike. I am pretty sure there are plrenty of little hobby kits out there that you can adapt that would take the optical or reed switch input and count it. You could add a virtual drug dealer in his merc with an uzi if the PC thinks you are going too slow

Anyone remember the paperboy game? i used to have that on the amstrad and it would be perfect for playing with a bike. Talking of old games what about those old olympic games were you had to waggle the joystick quickly yo get the geezer to run faster/pedal harder/throw further - that could easily be implemented. one reed switch/optical pickup for left, one for right and the faster you go the faster it seems you are waggling the joystick.

Comment

Could ya use the serial ports as well?
                    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                    Buy Sell or Trade
                    Thank you
                    Forex
                    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                      What's so hard about that? Don't all the ghetto gangsters in LA ride around on their bikes with guns? Especially those sweet low rider bikes. Man, those are some hard core gangsters.
                      I used to live in San Bernardino, so I know what LA is like.
                      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by brady
                        What's so hard about that? Don't all the ghetto gangsters in LA ride around on their bikes with guns? Especially those sweet low rider bikes. Man, those are some hard core gangsters.
                        I used to live in San Bernardino, so I know what LA is like.
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                        X