Looking for strong & cool bench light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for strong & cool bench light

Guys, Anyone know of good, powerful and yet cool workbench light.
    I had an incident with my left eye, need all the light I can get, problem is, I have to almost stick my head under the workbench light to be able to see when I am working on computer/electronic stuff - this causes my head to boil, I don't want to melt what is left of the gray matter.

Is there such a thing, light without heat? or I am dreaming?

stumbled on this...

This might be of some help to you...
    http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting.html

Comment

There are alot of different LED super bright lights available. Probably what you are looking for.

Try here: www.theledlight.com/

Comment

Nice links but I am looking for ready solutions.

Comment

Picky arent you

This should get you started:
          backwoodssolar

Comment

Originally posted by Imknotright
            Picky arent you
            No, not at all, I just don't want to build it, I am working on a lot of projects and don't have the time to build my own light.

Mr. Newbie, it is not nice for a noob to tell an old timer to , I know when to use and when not to, this board has some of the brightest guys and I am sure some of them have an experience. Sometime it is not easy finding what you are looking for.

Comment

Friggin Jersey guys... always want everything handed to 'em...

ITs funny you should mention this, i jsut spent the last few days clening out my garage/workshop. I have Ffuorescent and and halogens inthe celling, the Fluorescent arent bright enough but then the halogens are hot as F, and cast shadows on everything. I just set up a new work bench and decided to go the old school route and i clamped on 2 swivel arm drafting table lights on either side.. so if i need the extra light when working on somethign small.. i can jsut pull one of the lights right on top of where i'm working. I have 75W GE soft white bulbs.. they dont seem to be throwing off much heat. but then again i'm in a cold *** garage and its winter out.

Something like this, except i got my 2 at a garage sale for 2 bucks each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

Hey Kingtut

I dont wanna sound rude but im curious what happened to your eye?

Will you be able to see through it again?

Hope it wasnt anything serious
                CarPC Status:
                GPS: 99%
                Hardware: 99%
                Software: 92%
                Case Install: 99.9%
                Dash Install: 100%
                Car Install: 72%

Comment

I went through a stressful situation that caused a blood clot in the vessels supplying blood to the retina, the area affected is small and right next to the "vision center", this affected area does not absorb light as a result. As of the last doctor's visit, the retina built new channels for blood to go through, but this process is slow, it could take 6~12 month to heal, hopefully no long range damage like blurry vision.
                  My other option is to medicate the eye, that should help it heal immediately, but I will pass, basically, the medicine will have to be delivered to the eye through a "shot", ya, alright, I am supposed to sit there opening my eye and seeing a needle approaching my eye! will never happen.

Right now, I see sort of double on close range, hence the need for strong light and being close to the object. Another problem is, I lost depth perception since each eye acts on it own, I am sort of like Leela of Futurama, I sympathize with her

Bottom line, don't stress over anything, it aint worth it - easy to say though.

Comment

Damn well i hope it all works out fine in the end

I know what u mean at work iv been getting stressed beyond believe and now and again my vision gets blurry but i dont think its anything serious.

I do get what u mean about stress easy to say you won't but hard to do

Hope all works out well for you sorry im no help on the light situatition.
                    CarPC Status:

Comment

Wow.. sorry to hear about your situation....

My 2 suggestions are... for a very bright light, you could get some small metal halide
                      lights.. very bright.. very white.. would create heat but could be mounted high above
                      so as not to affect you.

Another solution is those "twisty" fluorescents (example here)...

I use them above my cnc mill and such.. very low power.. 15watt bulb
                      is equivelant to a 60 watt bulb.. nice white light... they have larger outputs
                      too.. but u can reach up and grab them.. no probs with heat..

So even some sort of drop light with those in them would work well...
                      I get them at Costco cheap

Hope I was of some help.... get well soon!
                      CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
                      Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
                      Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
                      CarPuter Install

Comment

Dont insult the noob here. Yeah I told you to . Took me less than 5 min to find the links I posted to HELP YOU.

The fact you have been registered here 5 MONTHS longer than me does not make you any better than me.

I don't have alot of posts due to the fact I READ before I post. I usually find my answers by searching around. How do you think I found this site to begin with.

Sorry about your eye man. But if your stress levels are that bad you really need to lighten up & stop starting with those who are simply trying to help.
                        _________
                        RANT OVER

Thanks to all that have helped me out. Even if it's just by them sharing thier wisdom on here.

Comment

You missed the point again, due to my eye problems, I have hard time reading -a lot-, search requires a lot of reading, that stresses the eye even more. Please re-read my reply above again, it tells why I didn't search.

I don't have alot of posts due to the fact I READ before I post. I usually find my answers by searching around. How do you think I found this site to begin with.
                          Again, only Noobs make such insensitive remarks!

Looks like you are the one who needs to lighten up. Welcome to the board

Comment

Originally posted by kingtut
                            You missed the point again, due to my eye problems, I have hard time reading -a lot-, search requires a lot of reading, that stresses the eye even more. Please re-read my reply above again, it tells why I didn't search.

Again, only Noobs make such insensitive remarks!

Looks like you are the one who needs to lighten up. Welcome to the board
                            Imknotright I'm sorry to say but this is a special situatation and you are giving him shuch insensitive remarks is just plain rude.

This is a MP3car forum and it is mostly about building the PC so I wouldn't think there are many post regarding the special light he needs.

He can't spend alot of time on the pc straining his eyes.

His question is a valid 1 I think and he has been in the community a while posting helpful posts so I think he deserves to get his question answered without insensitive comments.

I'm sorry Kingtut but it seems fluorescent are the ony light we can come up with

What if you had ALOT of fluorescent on the roof to create a very brite light and used a super bright LED tourch for things closer if the lights dont help to much.

It's all I can think of as the standard for light is to use the excess energy as heat.

I do hope you find a bright enough light and you recover fully or as best as possible
                            CarPC Status:

Comment

I recommend something like this. Mine is a larger more commercial metal type that uses the circular fluorescent bulbs, but I find it indispensable for intricate work.
                              Fabricator

Comment

Working...
                              X