Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal Shift points for a 01 Mustang GT

Hey everyone,

So I got in a discussion today with a fellow co-worker who also drives a 01 GT about the proper RPM to shift under normal driving conditions. I have driven manual transmitions for many years and I have always driven under the "shift when you feel it is right" rule. Generally I shift at about 4000 rpms, but the person who I was talking with was saying that it not the best time to shift under normal everyday driving conditions. I wanted to bring this discussion to the board in hopes that someone would be able to throw in some more info and personal experience.

-S

I don't drive a mustang but under normal everyday driving I ususally shift out of 1st and 2nd at about 3500, 4000 rpms as well. In the higher gears I shift a little earlier. I don't know what the 'proper time' to shift is, I do the same as you shift when it feels right.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I try to shift around 2500-3000, for normal everyday driving. Shift point/RPMs kinda depends on how hard you hit the accelerator.. As it was said, shift when you feel it's right. I haven't read the manual cover-to-cover, but it might have a shift-RPM/speed recommendation in there..?

know in my bike's manual it has some ridiculously low speeds you're supposed to shift at, but it also revs up to 13K or so (haven't been on the bike in a while). Again, there I shift when it feels right for how hard I'm hitting the throttle..
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

You could also ask that question over at one of the Mustang forums like mustangworld, but prepare for attitudes, flames, and trolls.. I just can't take the immaturity of the mental midgets over there, so I only bother if I absolutely can't find info anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
          You could also ask that question over at one of the Mustang forums like mustangworld, but prepare for attitudes, flames, and trolls.. I just can't take the immaturity of the mental midgets over there, so I only bother if I absolutely can't find info anywhere else.
          I agree , thats why i have not posted over there .. I just have no intrest in dealing with the level of immaturity that seems to congel there

-S

Comment

Put it on a dyno. Figure out @ what RPM you get a torque and HP drop. Do the same for all gears. Bam, perfect racing shift. For regular driving, dunno, never do it.
            Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

lol...regular driving...i don't do it
              CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Considering this is two months old.. LOL for an auto, 32-3500 for "daily" driving unless they are trying to "romp" on the gas.. then whatever it hits before it shifts.. lol
                2000 Sunburst Gold Mustang GT

Comment

Not to dig up an old thread, but... I just happened to be looking through my 03 GT's owner's manual a moment ago (for the first time EVER, lol) and here's how Ford recommends to shift "for the best fuel economy:"

1-2: 11mph
                  2-3: 19mph
                  3-4: 30mph
                  4-5: 40mph

I figure we could all benefit from better fuel economy right about now..

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
                    1-2: 11mph
                    2-3: 19mph
                    3-4: 30mph
                    4-5: 40mph

I figure we could all benefit from better fuel economy right about now..
                    Thats at about the same points I shift. 1-2 and 2-3 are just a little higher for me though.
                    Installed
                    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

at the redline, just bounce it off the limiter to get the swift rpm drop off the clutch then into next gear

James
                      www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X