Good satellite forums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good satellite forums?

Just got satellite now I'm looking for a good forum to lurk in...any ideas?

What would you like to know?

Firmware mods? hex codes? remote key updates? cam mods?

Which sat are you interested in? I cant help you if you have an american system sorry

Comment

It's an american system..but you may be able to help me. I have three receivers. One is downstairs and two are upstairs. How can I run the cable from wall outlet to 2 receivers? From what I understand I'll need a multi-switch running from the LNB?

Comment

Well you can use an LNB priority switch. It just basically switches between receiver A or B. If receiver A is high priority then the LNB is routed to it regardless if B is on or off. B only get the LNB if A is off. Not exactly a good setup.

But it depend what you really want to do. A single LNB can only be controlled by a single receiver and so all the receiver in your house cannot be operated independently.

You can install 3 LNBs on a single dish and 3 separate wires feeding each receiver. This way each receiver have its own LNB to control.

Or just use a quad LNB unit together with a switch.

Check out the switches
        http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Sat...oloutions.html

Im assuming you have a fixed dish. KU band over there? or C?

You may also wanna check this out
        http://www.lyngsat.com/

What channel package do you want to see?

Comment

I have directv...is there no 'switch' that I can plug into the coax cable coming out of my wall to control two receivers independently?

Comment

You just need a dual LNB for 2, or a multi-receiver splitter to use as many as you want. The splitter sets the LNBs as one vertical and one horizontal so that you can receive all the channels on the sat at the same time. DTV... ah the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity
              You just need a dual LNB for 2, or a multi-receiver splitter to use as many as you want. The splitter sets the LNBs as one vertical and one horizontal so that you can receive all the channels on the sat at the same time. DTV... ah the good old days.
              I was under the impression that a splitter wouldn't work. If it does, can you point to one? Ideally something to split the coax coming out of my wall would be best. I rent and my landlord would **** if I had another hole drilled for another line.

Comment

Here's a 4-way. You must have 2 lines going from the dish to the 4-way, otherwise you would confuse it and only get half the transponders. Something like this will send the proper output voltage to control the LNBs and automatically switches the receiver to whichever one it wants. You can't use a splitter anywhere else though, just at that point.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I was just hoping that there was something that would keep me from drilling more holes in the walls. I know there used to be a remote that could control one box in another room while watching in a different room? Anyone know what it's called?

Comment

Wireless video sender (with IR extender). Most suck because they use 2.4GHz and get interference from, well everything. phones, microwave, wifi, bluetooth, humans, pets, etc. Wired would be best. For the remote there's IR extenders or RF remotes.

Comment

@ Curiosity

Is there such thing as an IR extender thats only extend for a few meters? It extend via wires and not RF.

The reason is because I have a digital terestrial tv decoder but I want to put it behind the TV to make my setup look cleaner.

The problem is when trying to control the decoder placed behind the TV, which means I have to come closer and aim the remote at the side of the TV.

What I want is a simple wired IR extender like I mentioned above. How about a fiber optics of some sort where I can place one end on the front of the TV and the other end right next to the decoders sensor? Like the one used in some cars for a blown light indicator or something.

Comment

That gets expensive fast. http://www.smarthome.com/irsignals.html You have to buy either a full kit or a sensor + controller + sender. It would be easier to just desolder the sensor in the box and put a 3-wire cable on it to extend it just a couple feet.

Comment

On second thought, you could get it as a kit like this. 2nd one down. I'm not sure if you'll find it where you live though. There may also be a schematic to do it yourself somewhere too because it should be pretty easy.

Comment

Thanks for the info, thats exactly what I needed. Ill start looking into it.

Just still wondering if a simple fibre optic cable can be used.

Comment

No. With fibre optic, you would need to have the remote right up to the end to get enough light through it.

Comment

Working...
                              X