Expensive Hobby or what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive Hobby or what?

Hey all, just a little fun for anyone who reads this... Thanks for letting me "Vent"

To all of you out there that thought a computer in a car would be cool and thought they could put an old machine in thier car for peanuts (money). Boy were you guys wrong, yea sure the first PC in your car was ghetto but you proved to your self that it can be done, then you started thinking of ways to make it better.

Out came the check book and you baught a mini-itx system, the 3.5" harddrive was put back into your home and you baught a fancy laptop harddrive converted it to IDE, this little upgrade only set you back 500.00.

The 50.00 sine wave ACDC inverter you just baught is too big and it makes your car pc feel like your still using it at your desk in the house, plus you have a to flip two switches to turn your PC on, inverter and relocated power switch to the board. So you think whats 50.00 more dollers for an ITPS ?

After re-wirring your car for the 5th time your getting pretty good at taking apart the interior of your car, you haven't broke a little plastic peice the last 2 times you had to take out your whole interior. (Those little things are so overly expensive too, damn car manufacturers and thier over priced door handles ! ) Your thinking to your self after spending a coule of hours in the cold, thats it, I'm satisfied. Finally I have a real car computer, yea it works great for a couple of weeks even months. But that damn xenarc looks so ulgy sitting up on the dash, how unnatural !!!

So again, the interior of your car must come out ! You hack your brand new 04' toyota tacoma dash apart with a newly bought dremel (cool little tool isnt it? has anyone found something they CAN'T Do with a dremel?) And you start bondo-ing left and right, you've never bondo'd before so there's a bit of a learning curve here... It smells up your house and ****es off your roomates. There you are plastic gloves in hand, bondo covering everything but the actual parts you wanted bondo.... 10 minutes later WHAMO! It's dry ! You think to your self, HOLY CRAP ! this looks.... like.... CRAP !!!! Nerveness begins to come over you as you think, I just ruined my dash !!!! You then calm yourself and say lets just do what the guys in the forum told us to do, start sanding. Little by little your ulgy dash becomes somewhat decent, you **** your girlfriend off however because (and I quote) "You spent more time with your dashboard then with me !" But nothing can stop you now determinitaion has set in and your going to make this 400.00 xenarc (which is only 3 months old and you have completely gutted this little guys parts out) Look like a factory installed LCD screen. More sanding, more painting... you drive around in your brand new truck with a GAPING whole in the dash for weeks. You pull up to fast food, and the kid asks "You get robbed?" How do you anwser this quetion ?? YES I WAS ROBBED BY MY HOBBY !!!

The moment of truth... a few screws here.. and few snaps there... Your dash is back into place with the screen in. Nervously you turn the ignition over to see if you havent ruined the xenarc, and POOF there's the screen, there's windows.. HOLY CRAP !!!! It's working !!!!

Nothing can stop you now you've learned to fabricate dash peices and paint. You've learned how to take apart your cars interior in less than an hour (with the help of friends and BEER) . You've learned about electric shocks and why it sucks to expiriment while drunk. You say to your self, "Pshh, those American Chopper guys got nothing on me... I can fabricate and build with the best of them"

Everyday you get into your cars (some of you have PC's, some have a gaping hole still) And you can be proud that your doing something with your spare time that is destructive, opps, I mean constructive. Your wallets will forever be thinner if you continue to enjoy this hobby like I do.

For everyone that had problems, like me, it's a hobby and we really love saying to our selves holy crap I spent over 4000 on a damn computer and it's not even working right now !!! Take a step back and look at what you've acomplished and say to your self this 4000 really went towards my education and its better ioff in my car.

One final note, in an attempt to install the "custom" built operating system I've spent so many hours on I decided my damn ITPS is a peice of crap and that I'm going to buy a Carnetix 1260, 85.00 dollers.

Good luck with your installs !
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

You are more adventuresome than I, But I do hear ya!

How do you like the Taco? Mine toy is a 95 (before the Tacos) Love that little truck.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Its only an expensive hobby if you dont know what your doing and you allow yourself to break ****. And its only expensive if you settle for some peice of **** unit just to hold you over until you get a real system. I say, dont cheap out the first time around. Down a few more bucks and do it right. You say you spent around 4000...wtf were you thinking? You got screwed! A fully built carputer with a motorized in dash lcd should only cost you a max of 1200. My fully built system cost me 350!!! All I need now is a screen and I'm done.

Fiberglass...well you need to play with it before jumping into something you dont know what your doing. If I didn't know how to glass, I wouldn't have gutted my dash like you did until I learned the basic setup of how to fiberglass properly. And even if you have to glass the entire faceplate...just make sure you get it all smooth. Fiberglass is really hard to get completely smooth, so you have to bondo the rest and sand it all down. You have balls. I'm about to make a carbon fiber faceplate for my LCD

I'm soo glad I dont have one of those "stupid jealous" girlfriends any more. I used to get that *****ing all the time, "you love your car more then me, you spend more time with your car then me"...I have to respond with "well my car doesn't *****, complain and pout because I spend more time doing something else then working with it"... I seriously dont understand that. I had to leave the woman. She trully belived I cared for my car more then her. thats just stupid! My fiance now doesn't give a rats ***, cause she's out there workin on the car along with me

Dude, you gotta take pics of the install for us. My brother has a 98 Tacoma ext Cab W/3" body lift and 3" suspension lift rolling on 33x12.50R15's
      -Josh
      1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
      My URL: https://www.facebook.com/jagray85

XBOX: DarkerStars

Comment

My Costs :s

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
        Hey all, just a little fun for anyone who reads this... Thanks for letting me "Vent"

One final note, in an attempt to install the "custom" built operating system I've spent so many hours on I decided my damn ITPS is a peice of crap and that I'm going to buy a Carnetix 1260, 85.00 dollars.
        I hate to say it dude! I planned my system for three months considered different power options etc, and I must've spent around UK£1,000 on hardware alone!

I forgot about inverters as I didn't fancy killing car batteries, and having read peoples points on here I am glad I listened to everyone here!

I've yet to rip my dash apart and bondo it, but I am considering getting someone else to do it for me. I ain't all that good with stuff like that.

All I can say is thanks guys for having undertaken this research before me, us late starters would not be able to do this without your help and forsight!

I remember talking to a guy in a PC shop four years ago about planning this (i was going for ghetto, and never bothered with it in the end) and he laughed and said "Why?"

Simple answer... "because!"

Chewiee

VW Mk2 Golf GTI 16V:
        Kenwood KDC-W6527 HU
        Silver Travla C134, Slot Loading DVD/CDRW,
        256MB, VIA Epia MII 12000, Carnetix 60W, Xenarc VGA/Composite TS and a GPS Mouse

Comment

I look at it this way... Compare the $800 I have into my system and everything that comes with it...to what that would cost if I bought regular consumer equipment to do the same... I mean just GPS alone is $500+...

Not the mention the amazement people show when they see what you have.... To us its not that hard...the concept, the install..but for non-car/computer/electronics people, it blows their mind.
          G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

4000 man that is a lot of money. That's about 3 times as much as i invested in having a pc in my car. For me it started with lurking/reading a lot on this forum. So with recommendations and ideas from this forum i started buying the hardware. Ignoring the recommendations/warings from this site i bought an ITPS. It did'nt take long before i regretted that decision and replaced it with a Carnetix. That's the only thing that got replaced so far. I didn't do the whole "bondo indash" thing, instead i went with an indash housing from digitalww in which i built my lilliput.

I recognize most things from your post in one way or another. I'm an expert in taking apart the interior of my car. Did it so many times i could probably do it blindfolded. But that's not just from installing the carpc though. Lot of that "experience" came from installing a new audio system.

I agree with you that this is an expensive hobby. However i think that if you use common sense and think before you act you can save yourself a lot of time and money. All hobbies cost money, some more than others. It all comes down to priorities i guess.

But after spending that amount of money you must have a kick-*** install right? Have you got any pictures of the install.
            There ain't no need to cry. Time's up. It's time to die....

Comment

Yup. 4000 is a lot of money, but i've been doing this since before this website was started and before all this fancy new hardware was out, which really makes this hobby easier. There was a lot of trial and error. And contrary to what most poeple who responded here I'll admit, I had to learn alot about automotive stuff and to :Nfinetunning, who gave such harsh remarks about me being an "idiot because I broke things" Your only an idiot if you can't admit you made a few mistake and pulled on the plastic part a little too hard... I think i did very well at my first attempts on things, I'm a perfectionist however and I always strive to better my work.

I would have to say, if I did it over again now I wouldnt have spent as much because all this research has been done !!! And finally, the right equiptment is easy to find ! But this hobby has helped me in so many other aspects of life that the investment is worth it !!

I figured my original post, would make people feel at ease if something has gone wrong in thier projects. However some poeple just don't get it and continue to bash those that are learning and trying things for the first time.

And yea, I really do have a kick *** install
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

well spoken there Intella, I have been doing this since back when all we had was mxplay and a char LCD, you had to build everything you wanted in your car. always sucked having the car mechanics yell at you because they thought the car computer was the thing that was keeping your car from working. I dont think my previous car had any panels that would stay in place from all the missing clips .
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                  well spoken there Intella, I have been doing this since back when all we had was mxplay and a char LCD, you had to build everything you wanted in your car. always sucked having the car mechanics yell at you because they thought the car computer was the thing that was keeping your car from working. I dont think my previous car had any panels that would stay in place from all the missing clips .
                  Oh man, I know those little clips really are a pain. After learning about the interior of my car I'm positive that these things are broken by "professionals" as well and I bet sometimes they dont even tell you....
                  Via EPIA MII
                  512MB RAM
                  OEM GPS (embedded)
                  nLite WinXP pro on
                  1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Oh man, I know those little clips really are a pain. After learning about the interior of my car I'm positive that these things are broken by "professionals" as well and I bet sometimes they dont even tell you....
                    Well hell no, they keep a bag of clips on hand.
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

They are not broken by the professionals they are broken by the cowboys who call themselves professionals. Unfortunately 99% are cowboys.

Ill say everytime you take your car to a garage you loose some screws, nuts and have a broken plastics and a scratch. They have the habits of doing it, they cant help it. Nothing wrong in breaking a clips or loosing screws it does happen but these guys just cant be bothered.

Oh I musnt forget the classic wrong way round fitments and some electrics that no longer works.

If you break something in a car dont feel bad about it. Atleast you didnt pay someone to break it for you

Comment

There was no "bashing" intended with my previous post. I didn't know you've been building carpc's for that long. I was speaking from my own experience of building my carpc, which was fairly easy thanks to people on this site and the availability of complete parts for use in carpc's. As you said you didn't have that luxury so that you had to build it by trial and error. Which probably comes down to the following 'law'

Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab: Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.

Or maybe at least partly. Like i said earlier, no bash intended.
                        There ain't no need to cry. Time's up. It's time to die....

Comment

Enforcers rule no. 3b : Before hacking car apart, visit junkyard and get a spare piece of what you want to hack. Then you know the consequences, and if all goes well you can use the junyard/hacked one in place of the proper one and keep the original should you want to go back to stock.

Which is the reason why at the moment I get grief from the other half about the BMW dashboard (picked up for £12 on Ebay) sitting on the floor in the living room in front of the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                            Which is the reason why at the moment I get grief from the other half about the BMW dashboard (picked up for £12 on Ebay) sitting on the floor in the living room in front of the TV.
                            Atleast the piece is not on the bed

Comment

The biggest rip off IMO are the Opus PSU. I can't believe I paid $200 for one. Yes, it was worth it but it is still a rip off!

BTW, IntellaWorks why do you always have a dot and then a line at the top of all your posts?
                              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Working...
                              X