Help with truck buying decison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with truck buying decison

My friend is looking to buy a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 Series supercab pickup (Or the GMC equivalent). The problem lies in deciding what type of engine to get. He can't decide between the 290HP V8 or the 195HP V8 Deisel. I told him he should get the deisel because they tend to last longer and they get a little bit better gas mileage. Is there any reason why he should not get the deisel? Actual HP is not very important. He's replacing a 1989 Ford Ranger. He just needs something a little bit bigger that can hold more than 2 people.

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/feat...7&aff=national

Suggestions?

Peace,

Rafster
    Post # 3000

My dad runs a construction business and has quite a few trucks, he chooses them for several reasons. One is that his employees can not steal fuel, since their cars run on unleaded. The other being that they save gas.

Diesels lasting longer is true, however repairing diesels is incredibly expensive. Many of the parts are more rare and more complex. Diesels can often come with a turbo (not sure about the 195HP Silverado) which also adds to the parts. Diesels also have to have more electrical output since they have two batteries. Another thing to consider is that a diesel costs more up front than regular unleaded vehicles.
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Thanks for the info. Actually, here in San Diego, Deisel is about the same price as regular gas. either 2cent/gallon cheaper or more expensive. My dad has a 1985 Deisel Ford Clubwagon with about 340,000 miles on it. He has never had a problem on it that has cost him more than $200. He has not gotten regular oil changes etc... I'm actually sort of surprised that it has lasted this long. Do you happen to know where I can get actual numbers on gas mileage on the Chevy trucks? I know that the car manufacturers are not forced to give out that information on trucks.

Peace,

Rafster
      Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by rafaelsherman
        Thanks for the info. Actually, here in San Diego, Deisel is about the same price as regular gas. either 2cent/gallon cheaper or more expensive. My dad has a 1985 Deisel Ford Clubwagon with about 340,000 miles on it. He has never had a problem on it that has cost him more than $200. He has not gotten regular oil changes etc... I'm actually sort of surprised that it has lasted this long. Do you happen to know where I can get actual numbers on gas mileage on the Chevy trucks? I know that the car manufacturers are not forced to give out that information on trucks.

Peace,

Rafster
        Err, I meant the diesel vehicle will cost you more upfront. If you look at chevrolet.com, you'll see that a diesel equipped truck costs over $5000 more!
        Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
        Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
        sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
          Err, I meant the diesel vehicle will cost you more upfront. If you look at chevrolet.com, you'll see that a diesel equipped truck costs over $5000 more!
          Ummm, my friend wants to get a 2000 truck. Used. I've seen a couple of them around for about $15,000 to $18,000.

Peace,

Rafster
          Post # 3000

Comment

That year should be a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. Not a bad motor as long as it gets taken care of.

Comment

Working...
            X