No announcement yet.

New Computer... Did i get a good deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer... Did i get a good deal?

Well i just ordered a computer last night from Dell. In total after tax it cost me $668.xx to my door. Here's the specs let me know what you guys think.

Pentium 4, 530 (3.0GHZ),HyperThreading
    512MB DDR2 SDRAM AT 400MHZ
    17" LCD Flatscreen monitor
    80GB SERIAL ATA,7200 RPM hard drive
    16X DVD-ROM DRIVE

I'm gonna buy a dvd burner, wireless keyboard, mouse, wireless ethernet card and some logitech 5.1 speakers when i get it.
    So did i get a good deal or not?
    Fisher Customs
    www.fishercustoms.com

AMD mobile Athlon 3200+, 512mb ram, M2-ATX, 8" dynamix 16:9, powermate, 80 gig hd, 802.11G PCI w/ stubby antenna, SB Live Soundcard, hardwired into stock Bose system

No.
    Dude, you're getting a Dell?
    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

OK NOT what i wanted to hear...
      well i moved back home from college and my parents are buyin my notebook. I saw some online deals so i just went ahead and ordered it. Do you really not think its a good deal?
      Fisher Customs
      www.fishercustoms.com

AMD mobile Athlon 3200+, 512mb ram, M2-ATX, 8" dynamix 16:9, powermate, 80 gig hd, 802.11G PCI w/ stubby antenna, SB Live Soundcard, hardwired into stock Bose system

Comment

well, let me frase it this way... You got yourself the KIA of pc's. They have great support, but crappy pc's. I'd build my own, or if i go factory, than it's HP. but that's just me.

Comment

yeah i've never liked dell's notebooks and i would never buy one but i figure that a desktop is a different story. I was in the process of building one until last night when i added it all up and saw how much cheaper this one would be so i just went ahead and ordered it. Oh well too late to turn back now.
          Fisher Customs
          www.fishercustoms.com

Comment

I'm not a huge fan, but it was a pretty good deal for what you got. Never really used a dell tho so hey what can i say
            My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
            2 Kicker Comp 10"
            Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
            Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
            Check it out?!

Comment

Custom PC = Best.
              Dell = HP = Compaq = Emachines = etc..
              Naturally everyone hates Dell computers because they are the most popular.
              That's a pretty good deal.
              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPony
                Well i just ordered a computer last night from Dell. In total after tax it cost me $668.xx to my door. Here's the specs let me know what you guys think.

Pentium 4, 530 (3.0GHZ),HyperThreading
                512MB DDR2 SDRAM AT 400MHZ
                17" LCD Flatscreen monitor
                80GB SERIAL ATA,7200 RPM hard drive
                16X DVD-ROM DRIVE

I'm gonna buy a dvd burner, wireless keyboard, mouse, wireless ethernet card and some logitech 5.1 speakers when i get it.
                So did i get a good deal or not?
                is the video ram shared? if not what kind of video card do they have in that? Is it a tower or one of those small jobers?
                My Install

Software:
                CFiG v1
                iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

i got a 3.0 ghz 512mb ram pc from dell for like 350$ i bought a 20$ case from xoxide and slapped it in there... the only thing id prolly replace is the motherboard the rest of the stuff inside is still good... its prolly the cheapest way to build a computer

Comment

i like dell, all the computers in both my houses are now dell, after having experience with HP, Toshiba, IBM and the "build it yourself computer" i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. If you upgrade the components on the internet to a good video card, good sound card etc. you end up with a pretty good machine

Building it yourself is great but dell's machines have been tested for compatiablity issues etc before they are sold, you kind of have to buy the components and/or do lots of research. Plus with 3 year cover or whatever its called the dell dude comes around and fixes any hardware faults free.
                    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Naturally everyone hates Dell computers because they are the most popular.
                      Does anybody else find this sentence a bit odd.....even oxymoronic, if you will.
                      (end side note)
                      From a personal perspective, if you know a lot about computers... then build one.
                      if you don;t get a dell, they work great. their worksations are great.

From a sysadmin point, I wouldn't buy anything else. the management of these is easier than anything else I have had.
                      EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
                      Installed & Working....
                      Custom enclosures
                      Newbie Guide

Comment

Originally posted by kmcniece
                        Does anybody else find this sentence a bit odd.....even oxymoronic, if you will.
                        Just like many other large companies (for example Microsoft).
                        By everyone I didn't mean everyone. The more products produced, the more complaints you get.
                        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
                          well, let me frase it this way... You got yourself the KIA of pc's. They have great support, but crappy pc's. I'd build my own, or if i go factory, than it's HP. but that's just me.
                          I keep on seeing statements like that and wonder where in the world they come from. I've been a Dell customer for a good 5 years now, have had only one problem with one of the computers and than was fixed without any trouble. If anything, their service has been slipping lately from what I hear, but then I have a preferred customer status so I've been treated nice at all times.

Recomending HP as a factory computer... sorry, you must have been horribly misinformed lately. HP comes out with some interesting setups, but their quality is horrendous. They have gotten better as of late, but only enough to be competitive with say... Emachines. And Emachines is in fact the KIA of PC's. Dell is more along the lines of Nissan, better than average reliability, variably good service.

As to the original question about good deal, I recommend checking fatwallet.com for the coupon codes that could've saved you some more on the purchase. If within two weeks of placing an order, you cannot configure a similar system for less money, you got a good deal. Dell has rather nice prices when you use all those discounts, but it being a computer market, prices fluctuate weekly. Enjoy your new computer.
                          I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

WTF is up with the KIA bashing? Have any of you owned a KIA? I have had mine for less than 19 months, and already put 56K miles on it. I haven't had ONE problem with it. Now, I don't know about the little "tin can" KIAs, but my Optima has blown my wife's Taurus, and my old Maxima away in terms of reliability and comfort.
                            www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

You guys are silly. That's a pretty good deal. Someone please show me how you're going to build a computer with those specs with a valid winXP for that price. I like Dell computers. I have 2 Dell desktops and 1 Dell laptop. One is a higher end Dell and is pretty upgradeable (4000 series I think) and one is a lower end and very limited (2700 maybe... I always forget the model numbers). Dell always has good spec'd hardware for very good prices if you catch a good deal. I was very impressed by my higher end one. I ended up paying around 5 or 600 for it. It opens up clamshell style, screwless, like a G4 Mac (i think... I'm not a Mac guy). The drives are on rails so it's unplug, squeeze and pull. No screws. Very well engineered. I was impressed.

If the Original Poster's comp is the deal I saw the other day, it's pretty freaking good. It only has 2 PCI slots but it also has a PCI Express, 2 DDR2 slots (actually 4 slots, but DDR2 is paired), and SATA. So you're good for a large amount of future hardware. The onboard video is likely crap, but that's what your PCI Express slot is there for Definately get a new Vid card if you're going to be gaming.

One other thing I like about the Dell... I built my own diesel custom machine, and you definately know when it is on from the noise (blowhole up top, fan on the side). The Dell runs very silently.

Dell Customer Service sucks. They outsource to India to save on costs... BUT if you can get through the Customer Service gauntlet, they are good about fixing any problems with their computers.

Comment

Working...
                              X