v-mount intercooler F-body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v-mount intercooler F-body

For the past couple of weeks, the idea of a v-mount intercooler and radiator set-up has been stuck in my head. It seems so efficient. Only problem is, there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of cars that it can be done to. Engine size seems to be the determining factor.

I started thinking about the 82-92 camaros and firebirds. They have pretty big engine bays, a sleek and aerodinamic front end, and can be bought for practicly nothing. Swap the camaro or firebirds V6/V8 for a Grand National/T-type 231 V6 and you have a one of a kind turbocharged domestic , with a V-mount.

I get tired of seeing the same old (350, 454, etc.)carberated V8 engines dropped in the older cars. Anyway, here are some good examples. Enjoy
    RX-7 , 240SX , Silvia , very trick WRX
    they made me laugh
    -------------------------------
    "Damn pounds. Euros and USD!" - N09

"don't ruin my dreams! my parents did plenty of that " -Hcomplyr

f bodies may be cheap, but a gnx engine? As much as i have thought about it too, even the engines are still going for a pretty penny these days

hell, take an f body and put a nissan sr20det in it
    Mozilla Search Plugin

Comment

SR20DET...or hell even an SR20GTR (possible mislableing) doesn't have enough power to move a Fbody around. Its like puting a gocart engine inside a tank.

I dont know about turboing an FBody, because there is hardly any room, but you can do an Intercooled Supercharger.
      -Josh
      1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
      My URL: https://www.facebook.com/jagray85

XBOX: DarkerStars

Comment

I know its not what you are speaking of, but check out this local chevelle that i sbeing built...now THATS a v-mount Water to air, baby!
        Attached Files
        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

nice
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

sweet

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
            I know its not what you are speaking of, but check out this local chevelle that i sbeing built...now THATS a v-mount Water to air, baby!
            is there more infor on this car someplace? I would like to see more of the setup.

Comment

nFiniteTuning:
              Hardly any room? Ive got an 82 Firebird with a 2.8 v6 in it and a engine driven fan. There is an *** load of space in the bay.I dont have the dimensions, and I may be mistaken, but I think there would be ample room for a 231 v6 and a V-mount intercooler set-up. Only reason i'm harpin on the 231 V6 is it' would be a GM to GM swap, and It's one of the very fiew tried and true domestic turbos.

Ford tried it in the 80's with the mustang, and that lasted all of about three or four years. Chrystler came out with the Conquest, but that's just a rebadged Mitsubishi Starion.

nottastocker:
              You're not lieing on the price of GN/T-Type parts. I cant imagine what a front clip would cost.
              they made me laugh
              -------------------------------
              "Damn pounds. Euros and USD!" - N09

"don't ruin my dreams! my parents did plenty of that " -Hcomplyr

Comment

Could you gain some room from removing that mechanical fan? With that intercooler, you shouldn't have a problem with cooling.
                Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
                sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Originally posted by pcStangGTv3
                  is there more infor on this car someplace? I would like to see more of the setup.
                  here is a link

and also Brian Macy's website

he currently hold the record at our local Dyno (torque Freaks) with his Turbo Nova at 1072hp and 768ft/lb torque (our torque record is held by a Dodge Cummins making 615hp and 1105ft/lb torque!) I have a video if you want it. Pretty awesome power!
                  2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by ash
                    nFiniteTuning:
                    Hardly any room? Ive got an 82 Firebird with a 2.8 v6 in it and a engine driven fan. There is an *** load of space in the bay.I dont have the dimensions, and I may be mistaken, but I think there would be ample room for a 231 v6 and a V-mount intercooler set-up. Only reason i'm harpin on the 231 V6 is it' would be a GM to GM swap, and It's one of the very fiew tried and true domestic turbos.
                    They made a f-body with just the engine you are looking for the 89' turbo T/A it was a impressive car and the fastest F-body made up untill that time (somewhere just over a 13 second 1/4 stock) I had two firebirds one TA and one V6 and the engine mounts are pretty standard, I am sure that the engine would bolt right in, might have to change the tranny, and driveshaft lenth.

anyway search on the turbo ta it was limited edition and pretty rare, I am sure people have converted there normal firebird into one before, and could tell you what would need to be done to get the 3800 in it. Let me know if you decide to try this I would be curious to see how it turns out.
                    My Install

Software:
                    CFiG v1
                    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

I think I remember hearing somehwere that the Die hard Pontiac guys protested and moaned about it having a "Buick" based engine. So was that the same engine that came in the Buick Gran National GNX's?
                      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

As far as i know, yes, it was the buick version of the 3800 and the same engine that was in the grand national. Not sure why the "die hards" would take offense the TA and firebird had only chevy engines in them since the inseption of the 3ed gen. the 2.8, 305 and 350 are all chevy.
                        My Install

Software:
                        CFiG v1
                        iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                        Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                        StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Working...
                        X