Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Games lead to killings? I don't think so...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Games lead to killings? I don't think so...

Lawsuit: 'Grand Theft Auto' Led Teen to Kill
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,147722,00.html

You have to love it when a parent can't take responsibilty for not raising their child properly. This includes watching what said child purchases...

""Grand Theft Auto" led a teenager to shoot two police officers and a dispatcher to death in 2003, mirroring violent acts depicted in the popular game."

It was the video game that made my child a bad boy, not my child raising skills. I am so sick of these people passing off their issues onto others and not accepting responsibilty for their own actions or for those they are responsible for.

""What has happened in Alabama is that four companies participated in the training of Devin ... to kill three men," attorney Jack Thompson told The Tuscaloosa News"

I don't know about you, but I've played GTA3, as well as Vice City, and I've never wanted to go on a killing spree. Hell, I love to play fighting games like Soul Caliber 2, Smackdown Vs. Raw, and such, but I've never randomly powerbombed someone onto a table or something similar. Sure, I'd love to, but I was rasied w/ the understanding that there are consequences for my actions. I guess I'm just an angry old man and I'm only 27...

EDIT: The best quote from this kid:
    "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime."
    - Devin Thompson at a December hearing

Now there is definitely a breakdown of parental type structure in his life...
    "I'm a dick!"
    "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

What an assflute. His douchery skills amazing. I grew up playing Wolf3D and Doom, ive been trained as an assasin now. I also have played age of empires, so i also have the urge to dress up in ancient garb and sling rocks at persian elephants.
    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
    gotta redo it all

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter
      i also have the urge to dress up in ancient garb and sling rocks at persian elephants.
      Dude, I'm getting the IDA on to you!, or whatever the US version of the RSPCA is called.
      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

I don't know... I played Doom and Wolf3d too, and I can't stop my urge to kill Nazis and hell demons.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
          I don't know... I played Doom and Wolf3d too, and I can't stop my urge to kill Nazis and hell demons.
          Well, I played Space Invaders, and if I ever see one of them little green bast*rds.....
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

My first question is: Where were the parents of this kid?
            I've been playing video games for along time. A large majority of those games involve killing. I've never killed anyone or anything, purposely or otherwise.

My second question is: Why did WalMart sell the kid the video game? The game is rated M for a reason. I wouldn't let my kids play any GTA games. Or Quake. Or Doom. There's a reason for that.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I played Donkey Kong when I was a kid... now I'm going to kill all the monkeys on this board to get the princess back. Better watch out Frodo... I got my ladder and I'm comin' up there!
              Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

It's ridiculous. Here we go with another frivolous lawsuit from people who can't take responsibility for their actions. It used to be Ozzy, then McDonald's, then "Big Tobacco", then Fast Food, and now video games: noone is responsible for what they do.

I grew up on Wolf3D

******* people need to get a clue: when you have a kid, life isn't about you anymore, it's about your kid. All too often I see people retaining their "ME" lifestyle after they have kids, pushing their kids off on their parents/babysitter/nanny - not as an occasional instance, but as a way of life.

If you can't be bothered to properly lead your kid through life, then you have noone else to blame when your kid starts smoking the glass dick/gets pregnant/commits suicide/kills. Kids don't get their perception of right and wrong from a video game when their teens. That is something that should be instilled in by an authority figure when they are young childred. There are no excuses other than bad (or more appropriately lack-of) parenting.

I know I'm not ready to have kids - I'm not ready to give up my lifestyle - I'm too selfish in that regard. And I think that's really bottom line, and why we are failing as a society: selfishness. .. just my $0.02.

If this kids' parents had ever cared about him, they would have thrown him a beating or ten. http://maddox.xmission.com/beat.html

Peace.
                Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                  Well, I played Space Invaders, and if I ever see one of them little green bast*rds.....
                  In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")
                  Bunny's first poo
                  __ U

Comment

I think I've finally found a signature.

Comment

If you want to mirror violence in a videogame then you should be in a mental hospital somewere in Utah Video games are meant for enternainment, and some studies even show that they releive te urge to kill.
                      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyM
                        I think I've finally found a signature.

its funny because its true!
                        Mazdaspeed Car Computer
                        gotta redo it all

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                          If you want to mirror violence in a videogame then you should be in a mental hospital somewere in Utah Video games are meant for enternainment, and some studies even show that they releive te urge to kill.
                          Utah?
                          AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                          Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                          Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                          -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by brady
                            Utah?
                            Just a random state. Also, isn't that were they take some kids who are addicts to?
                            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I figure if someone is going to kill, they will either do it sooner (becuase of something) or later.
                              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                              Buy Sell or Trade
                              If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                              Thank you
                              Forex
                              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X