random career question:what do i do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random career question:what do i do

ok im 23 and i work in a restaurant bartending and shift managing. well they want me to become assisstant manager for 38k a year. should i take it or not. im asking this cause i want to know if there are any older people here that managed restaurant before. i dont know what to do to be honest and everyone i ask jus looks at the money.i mean 38k +bonus( might i add) is good money for my age but will it be worth it.need any advice.thanx for the reading.
    ..and dont back out just because u think its too crazi , i hate pussies
    -outdidya

epia m1000,256mb ddr,7"lilli,120gb hdd, Ati remote wonder,400watt inverter,350psu all under xp pro-installed

Do you want to be in the restaurant business all your life?

Do you have a degree (not that it matters, since I have 2 degrees and I make $33k)?
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

some college but no degree.and heck no i dont want to be in the industry all my life.
      -outdidya

epia m1000,256mb ddr,7"lilli,120gb hdd, Ati remote wonder,400watt inverter,350psu all under xp pro-installed

Comment

I dunno man, it's a lot of work. The money is definitely good but I had a friend that managed a restaurant and he was about ready to kill himself and could never get out of the buisness. He's been saying he will leave for probably a good 6 years now. Just make sure it's a commitment you really want to take on.
        Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

Comment

Depends if you enjoy it. At 23, you can still do what you want, so it's up to you. For that kind of money, maybe you could work your arse off for a year, then go travelling/studying or study while you work. Depends if you want to study of course, but when I say study, it doesn't have to be something academic per se - you might wanna save for that computer animation course you always dreamt about or whatever.

The offer you got sounds kinda sweet, but you're gonna age twice as fast as everyone else.....
          In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")
          Bunny's first poo
          __ U

Comment

$38K - hey you could buy an Evo 8

I would do as spag says - take it and earn the money and look for somehting else or go travelling after a year or 18months. Or you could just milk them for all the training courses you can get to boost your CV and then go get a better job somewhere.

Comment

I'll second the advice that in the end, you want to be doing whatever it is you enjoy doing!, you will never be great at anything unless you enjoy what you are doing...... now can you see yourself OWNING a restaurant or two, if that's something that might be for you, then there is nothing wrong with starting at the bottom,(hey, your getting a head start already) & working your way up to where you want to be, but if you know this is not what you want at all, then lifes to short, do whatever it is you enjoy & you will excel at it MUCH easier.......... just don't say that you enjoy doing nothing, it's much harder to get paid for doing that
              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Advice from someone who has paid (and is still paying) lots of "stupid tax":

1. Pay off all current debts
                2. DO NOT BUY A NEW CAR--if you need new wheels, buy a $4000 car and pay cash
                3. Save a helluva lot of money. $38k ~ $2200/month take-home. Live on $1200 and save the rest
                4. Pay cash for college. If you work it right, you can pay for college and still have enough left over to not work, or work a lot less, during school.

And remember, just because you can afford the payments doesnt mean you can afford it
                Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                I'M DEBT FREE!!
                I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Your retirement age is 67. By the time you get there, it will probably be 70. You are going to be working for the next 44-47 years.

Do what you like and you'll like what you do. I have a job doing something that I really like. It's still work, but I really enjoy it. It's easy to get up and go to work every day.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

1. know what you want to do
                    2. know how long it will take you to get there
                    3. know how much it will cost you
                    4. know where it is you are going to get the money.

Figure out where you stand right now and down the line. Although you take the job does not mean you cant tell them you are not going to make a commitment to it. I would tell them yes you would like to do it. The reason you are working there now is to gain money right? What is a little more responsibility and knowledge ahead of time. Also a few more bucks. Take some night classes if you wanted to. Assistant manger for a place like that would not be all the difficult. Perhaps more ours but youll get a bit more say on what goes on. Live at home if ya can and save. good luck, let us know
                    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                    Buy Sell or Trade
                    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                    Thank you
                    Forex
                    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

cool guys apprecitae the advice.(sorry for the late reply jus got off).yall are right. in so many ways.im still thinking. ran this across another guy said milk the place for experience on a resume' and the money but still doing my job. as for the comment with the car too late already bought a new car. supposed to talk with the dm sometime this week and we will c. i jus dont honestly know what to do. wish my freaking gut would tell me something.thanx alot again for the info.
                      -outdidya

Comment

Almost forgot. You're 23. No career choice you make is irreversible. The key is not to get into a job that you hate that pays enough to make it too difficult to leave.
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

very true.i dont want them to have me by the balls. so to speak that is.hope u know what i mean by that.
                          -outdidya

Comment

Working...
                          X