Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a Car! Finally! After a week of "house-arrest" :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Car! Finally! After a week of "house-arrest" :)

Yayy. I got the new (for me) car today, and it's awesome.
    98 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Manual. It's soo much fun to drive. I also have to be carefull, B/c the dash lights are blue, and so pretty, that i keep staring at it. I'll post some pics tomorrow, as soon as it gets bright out there. I only washed it from the outside, but am going to rent an upholstry cleaning machine tomorrow nite, to shampoo the interior. After that it'll be like new. It has 87K miles on it, and i bought it for 5K (tak is plus, about anoyher 400 with my tags transfered and renewd and everything). Yhankfuly my premium did not go up.

/me and wife is werry happy. Soon there will be another Passat Install. Most of it is done. need the monitor. Ancously waiting for the indash motorized.

Is that the deisel?
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
      Is that the deisel?
      No, its a turbo 1.8Liter gas. The engine was nominated Engine of The Year (Europe) back in 98-99... that was before everyone here found out that the more powerful version (99+) has a tendency to fall apart.

Nice buy by the way! My parents had one of those, but it fell in the hands of a few incompetent mechanics... at the VW dealership. So I recommend you find a good mechanic to do major work for it, if it is every necessary.
      I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

The TDI's are diesel. I'm a big fan of turbo diesels.

Comment

I would have bought a TDI but the US market didn't get thos in this B5 series... sad

Comment

2 of my friends have them, great cars. Almost bought one for my wife but she had to get the IS300 instead....
            -- WireSix, Inc. --
            MP3Car Lives Here!

Comment

I drive the same exact car. For such a heavy car, Im surprised it pulls as well as it does. Up to 105mph, steady as if you were going 25... www.passatworld.com/forums/ Join up there, it's a great community.

EDIT: Find out ASAP if your timing belt has been changed. If that goes, you're basically ****ed and this is the one problem known all over the boards for this model.

Comment

i already am signed up. same name as here... Am going to change it, b/c i's at 88K now, and i don't think it was changed. Thanks. you gonna have a carpc in yours? Cherrs

Comment

Originally posted by deftones8769
                  I drive the same exact car. For such a heavy car, Im surprised it pulls as well as it does. Up to 105mph, steady as if you were going 25... www.passatworld.com/forums/ Join up there, it's a great community.

EDIT: Find out ASAP if your timing belt has been changed. If that goes, you're basically ****ed and this is the one problem known all over the boards for this model.
                  I was surprised too about the power. I was hesitant at first having a 3.3L in the van that i sold, that the 1.8T would be weak for me. Boy was i wrong... I'm thinking of getting a chip in it after a while. I've been reading up on stuff on that forum for a while now. I'm not regretting of getting the car (so far)

Damn i need the radardetector back (it got stolen from the car, and it was worth $340 >. ) b/c it's at 80-90 so fast, and unnoticeably, that i could get in trouple if i don't have it with me...

Comment

Oh, one more thing. I got my Jouth back. I'm only 21, but in the minivan i felt like i'm 65, and aging. Oh boy am i excited and do a lot of peel-offs... YEHAA!!!

Comment

I'm actually in the process of installing my carPC as we speak.

The radar detector is a must, I drove with mine for a day once and was so disgustingly paranoid the entire time. As for the chip, I'm sure I would have bought one by now if it wasn't for the computer. Almost all my cash has gone into this thing and as soon as I have the money on hand, my Passat will be chipped.

As for the t-belt, get it done asap. It's a $1000 repair if you do it now before it breaks. You're looking at least $3-4 g's if that thing goes so it may seem like a lot but it's entirely preventative. Also, see if your car still has the skid plate on the bottom. If not either pick one up or go real easy on dips and things. I cracked the **** out of my oil pan and put a big hole in it. It was a $600 repair because the back bolt on the pan requires them to lift the engine off the subframe and VW parts aren't nearly as cheap as Honda or Toyota parts. Otherwise, enjoy it. It's a luxury car at a beyond affordable price. (Everyone thinks it's an A4)

Comment

Timing belt for $1g? WTF? It cost me $300 to replace my timing belt and water pump on my car.
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

you got lucky 0I33I. My cars in the shop now getting my timing belt service. Also getting my 105k mile service. I called around to a bunch of different places and the cheapest I found was 400 just for the timing belt, or 1g for everything. The place my cars at now is only 875......only......oh well its only money.
                          PC Components:
                          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                          My work log

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                            Timing belt for $1g? WTF? It cost me $300 to replace my timing belt and water pump on my car.
                            I got Ron at his garage down the road from me to do mine (for any of you living in/near chorley, UK i recommend him). 150 for new timing belt, alternator/AC belt, power steering belt and water pump!

Comment

Well, i had the best of luck today. Yesterday i take the car apart (read seats out, carpeting out) to deep clean it. I unhook the battery so the seat's airbag won't blow in my face when i disconnect it, and when i put it back, the radio asks for a code to operate. Now the seller didn't provide me with one. so i go to a vw dealer in Middletown, NY, and let him pull the info. got the code, but the headunit is not accepting it. Why? No clue. So today i go to a vw ealer near me, closer to me, in Newton, NJ, and let him take a look at it, and the same thing. Except that the guy over in NY did only pull the radio code info for $20 off books, and this guy pulls it for free. Also he checks the history, and what do i find out? It was serviced there regularly since 2001. So i bought the car about 50 miles from my place, it was regularly serviced 15 miles from here, and the mechanic is Polish, and I'm Hungarian,so that makes us both Europeans. What comes off of it? He gave me two cans of silicone to lubricate a lot of things on my car fro free, he also will order me a oil-cap fr free, radioremoval tool for free, and he tells me that if the weather warms up, and it's spring time, he'll hve my car detailed, polshed, and everything, and gives me a new one for a day (for that time) and when i ask for wat? He tells me "for the hell of it". Am I this lucky, or did i just find the best mechanic around? Also he showed me a lot of features of the car, that i didn't even know of. I bought it Friday, and they didn't sell me books to it. an am i happy. So far to have a VW was a really pleasent experience...

Just wanted to let all of you guys know.

Comment

Working...
                              X