Interesting thing I noticed about Monster.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting thing I noticed about Monster.com

Apparently either employers search based on where you live currently or Monster.com has a bug that doesn't list where you are willing to work.

How did I come up with that? 4 months ago I resubmitted my resume on Monster and listed several states that I wanted to work in, but listed my home address as here in Starkville, MS. I got 4 "resume views" in those 4 months.

Last night, I changed my home address to my parent's address in Nashville.

I got 9 hits in 16 hours.

Now, seeing as there are VASTLY more IT employers in Nashville than there are in the entire state of Mississippi, I can reasonably conclude that employers, for whatever reason, only look at (or see) your "home address" that is listed with monster, even though you can pick where you want to go.

Anyone got an address in Vegas I can use? or Dallas? or Houston?
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

i have one in NJ, and NY if you'd like...

Comment

I don't think I'd last very long up there. I start shivering when it gets about 45 degrees down here, and I havent seen snow in 6 years
      I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

maybe most employers dont want to pay to move you to work there.

and if you decide south florida, i'll give ya a address
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

I think they can filter by where you live so that they don't have to pay moving costs as jcdillin said and it would be easier to get a face to face interview that way as well.
          7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
          ATVMS.com

Comment

PM me for Los Angeles or San Francisco addys wizard.
            Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
              I don't think I'd last very long up there. I start shivering when it gets about 45 degrees down here, and I havent seen snow in 6 years
              You could get used to it... besides i think ere up north you would have better chances. Unless you go to an economically developed city in the south, the rest is pretty plain. I'm talking about my own experiece. no flames intended

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
                ... Unless you go to an economically developed city in the south, the rest is pretty plain. I'm talking about my own experiece. no flames intended
                Oh trust me, I know. That's why I gotta get the hell outta here. I grew up in Nashville, and there are more people in the city of Nashville than the state of Mississippi.

Here's an idea I been kicking around the last couple days: I've got $2300 in the bank, and $7500 in a mutual fund that I've been trying to decide what to do with (I was going to put it in a Roth IRA). I could take that money and move somewhere, and then try to get a job in that city. Depending on where I go, I figure I can live off that for at least 3 months--probably longer--and find a job. That's plenty of time for me to find a job when I have nothing else to do all day. I might end up delivering pizzas for a while, but opportunities would be MUCH better than anything here.

Whaddya think? Is that about as stupid as moving to LA to start an acting career? Or is it a viable option?
                I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

You can use this Las Vegas address:
                  3600 S. Las Vegas Blvd.
                  Las Vegas, NV 89109

If anyone asks, you live here:

Spent so far: $1,755
                  Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                  CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                  Don't mess with Texas.
                  It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

I think they might notice that
                    I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                      Oh trust me, I know. That's why I gotta get the hell outta here. I grew up in Nashville, and there are more people in the city of Nashville than the state of Mississippi.

Here's an idea I been kicking around the last couple days: I've got $2300 in the bank, and $7500 in a mutual fund that I've been trying to decide what to do with (I was going to put it in a Roth IRA). I could take that money and move somewhere, and then try to get a job in that city. Depending on where I go, I figure I can live off that for at least 3 months--probably longer--and find a job. That's plenty of time for me to find a job when I have nothing else to do all day. I might end up delivering pizzas for a while, but opportunities would be MUCH better than anything here.

Whaddya think? Is that about as stupid as moving to LA to start an acting career? Or is it a viable option?
                      You can try that, but you might end up delivering pizzas. I have a friend who lived in upstate NY working as a Network Admin. He hated the weather and lack of social outlets and had a lot of friends in the DC area. Moved here in August, lived w/ his sister so he didn't have to rent a place and it took him at least 3 months to get a job and he went to a few interviews too. I have another friend who does medical research and moved here last fall after she got a job offer. She applied for jobs, managed to squeeze 3 interviews into a one week visit and got a job offer out of one of them. She had to pay her moving expenses though.

I'd try using a local address in the city you want to live, see what kind of responses you get and then decide if you want to move without a job lined up already.
                      Carputer Pics
                      Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

Originally posted by Katya
                        He hated the weather and lack of social outlets and had a lot of friends in the DC area.
                        He moved from NY to DC for better weather? Isn't that like moving from Mississippi to Lousiana to get away from the South?
                        Spent so far: $1,755
                        Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                        CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                        Don't mess with Texas.
                        It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Originally posted by edrex
                          He moved from NY to DC for better weather? Isn't that like moving from Mississippi to Lousiana to get away from the South?
                          He didn't like the long cold winters of upstate NY. DC gets snow but not nearly as much or for as long. We usually don't get any real snow until the very end of December, beginning of January.
                          Carputer Pics
                          Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

Working...
                          X