Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LMFAO, heads are gonna roll!

LMFAO

Get this, the cable company, Cebridge connections, disabled my grandmothers account because "She has a Virus".

Few things wrong with this, and I should know, I work for a ISP.

A. They did not tell her they were cutting her off, she had to call weeks later to find out.

B. They are still making her pay for her internet, even tho its disconnected.

C. They CANNOT cut off your service for having "SPAM or VIRUS". I know this is true because I work for a ISP, that is simply not possible.

My grandmother is a 70 year old lady who checks her email now and then, and they have disconnected her because she has a virus on her computer.

Here is what they said

"So I called Cebridge and talked to Johnny of tech support who said my account has been disabled due to spam coming into my computer. He said "You need to run a virus scan, and clean up your computer, and call us back and we will turn it back on then"

I think I will be calling them up tommorow to have a nice chat with somebody higher up than tech support, if they do not accomodate my wishes, I'll be calling the FCC.

What do you think?
    2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

That is one crazy *** way to screw the "unknowing" I think tihey wanna make up for the heavy downloaders. But that is way too unfair. They should hear from your lawyer.

Comment

yeah thats dumb as ****. We do that at my college, but its because we are on a connected network and dont want it to spread. On top of that we are out on site to fix the problem that day, or within 24 hours to resolve the issue.
      PC Components:
      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
      My work log

Comment

Cut 'em all off I say. Sounds fair to me.

If you're car is leaking on all over the road, a cop can make you not drive it until it's fixed.
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

Did I miss something? Is excessive spam your grandmothers fault, the ISP's, or some LAWBREAKER!?!?! Spam is illegal (at least in MN - I don't know about elsewhere). Why would the recipient be held accountable for such activity?

And how on earth would the ISP be able to detect this? A full email account? My ISP disables inbound email if an account is full (note - they NEVER delete messages). If an account is full - so be it. They gave you that space, you OWN that space until you stop paying. If they touch it beyond the contract you signed, get a laywer.

Cavity - I think you need to provide more info as to why they disabled the account...
          http://www.jeepmp3.com/
          CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
          Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

a lot of phone tech people are hired in mass and knowledge of how computers work is not a prereq......that being said the term spam i'm sure is being used loosely
            PC Components:
            Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
            My work log

Comment

You'd probably want to talk to the FTC, not the FCC.
              Don't Click

Comment

I would call them yourself before getting fired up about it. There may have been some miscommunication somewhere between the tech support your grandma and you. Plus if she has a virus on her computer that is sending out spam then they have all the reason to cut of her service.
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

same thing happened to me when i had dial up,they said that i had a virus that was attacking their system so they disabled my account until i removed the virus from my computer.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/du3ce/siggy.jpg
                  My car Pics

Comment

if you work for an ISP you should know of both RADIUS accounts and session killing.. disable radius and boot the connection, and the link is toast - no reauthentication (unless you're on cable or something, i work for a UK ISP, so we use the ****ty(tm) phone system)

We monitor viral activity by monitoring traffic flow on gateways, excessive use of odd ports associated with virusses cause concern and we ask for investigation.
                    also, the more obvious - virus email turns up, someone calls us to *****, we trace the email back to an infected ADSL, we chop it.....

ISP's cut you off because you could be sending thousands of emails an hour, leeching traffic onto the net, or partaking in DOS attacks, it's not to tell you off, it's to protect the network. we can only *EVER* ask customers to "do their best with security"
                    Cat
                    Woot, or something.
                    Epia M10000 (less rubbish than the 800) :: LCD touchscreen
                    GPS :: 80G drive :: Not enough ram... Never enough..

Comment

Originally posted by Caitlin
                      if you work for an ISP you should know of both RADIUS accounts and session killing.. disable radius and boot the connection, and the link is toast - no reauthentication (unless you're on cable or something, i work for a UK ISP, so we use the ****ty(tm) phone system)

We monitor viral activity by monitoring traffic flow on gateways, excessive use of odd ports associated with virusses cause concern and we ask for investigation.
                      also, the more obvious - virus email turns up, someone calls us to *****, we trace the email back to an infected ADSL, we chop it.....

ISP's cut you off because you could be sending thousands of emails an hour, leeching traffic onto the net, or partaking in DOS attacks, it's not to tell you off, it's to protect the network. we can only *EVER* ask customers to "do their best with security"
                      You are so wise and clever Caitlin (and i am not taking the ****, just couldn't resist being a bit cheeky)

I wanna call your company and be a really a dense and annoying customer just to **** you off. Waht was that number again.....

Thats enough of this ****, anyone got any pics of their PCs being abused?

Comment

man whats up with you and the S&M computer bondage there Scouse?
                        肚子笑痛了
                        S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                          man whats up with you and the S&M computer bondage there Scouse?
                          I dunno, it's my hobby this week following the dog ****ting on PC thread. Good job friday is here at last. Any ideas on what i should be into next week?

Comment

S&M Dog Bondage ;-)

Comment

Gotta say.... the parent post here sets off the 'blowhard' flag in my head. If grannies machine is a zombie that's distributing spam/being used to launch DDOS attacks, then I'd cut if off too until it was fixed.

What's that? There's no way her machine could be like that?

Incorrect. All she has to do is:
                              a: Be missing a critical security patch at a bad moment
                              or
                              b: click 'Yes' to a single piece of malware from a webpage or email
                              or
                              c: a bunch of other things

Cavity guy, you need to do some serious research before saying 'heads are gonna roll!lololololol' to avoid setting off the bozo bit. Saying they CANNOT cut her off because her machine is attacking others shows a remarkably poor understanding of modern network management and the applicable laws.
                              Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                              http://hallert.net/

Comment

Working...
                              X