Lowering Springs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering Springs

I'm thinking about lowering the Stang; I'm not sure why they come from the factory with hijacker shocks, but I'm really feeling the need to change it lately..

What do y'all think about how far it's "dropped" in the second photo.. does it look about right?

Edit: added "even lower" 3rd to comparison
    Attached Files
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Not low enough.
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

you can always get some shocks/struts and lower the car and if you like it, keep it, either way it will help your suspension. just make sure you get a camber kit, my friend and I just lowered his car, and within about a month he went through his low profile tires, and even normal tires will wear MUCH faster.
      http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/djpm05/sig.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
        Not low enough.
        Yeah? I'm trying to stick with the stock 17"s..

Like this?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ATXaccord05
          you can always get some shocks/struts and lower the car and if you like it, keep it, either way it will help your suspension. just make sure you get a camber kit, my friend and I just lowered his car, and within about a month he went through his low profile tires, and even normal tires will wear MUCH faster.
          Camber kit makes sure the wheels are "level" with the road surface, correct?

I don't want to go ridiculously low because I don't want to have to deal with wheel rub on the fender and then rolling the fender and such.. I should probably check on the Mustang forums to see what brands people are using and how they like them.

Comment

That low looks much better

Originally posted by tj!2k4
            Camber kit makes sure the wheels are "level" with the road surface, correct?

I don't want to go ridiculously low because I don't want to have to deal with wheel rub on the fender and then rolling the fender and such.. I should probably check on the Mustang forums to see what brands people are using and how they like them.
            They change the angle of the wheels. It's usually used if the car is too low and would rub the fender. When you get an aftermarket camber kit, you wear the tires out real fast because they're not even on the ground anymore.

sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Hmm.. camber kit changes the angle of the tire to prevent rubbing, but causes quicker wear.. I imagine it provides better handling as well?

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
                Hmm.. camber kit changes the angle of the tire to prevent rubbing, but causes quicker wear.. I imagine it provides better handling as well?
                No, as less of your tire is making contact with the road.

Comment

D'oh!! Damnit, that makes sense...! lol

Thanks..

Comment

my friend and I just lowered his accord and it's always fun to go over any kinda of unlevel surface and hear a loud SCRRRRATTCCHHHHHHH. but it handles really well, and girls like us so it works out for the best.
                    http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/djpm05/sig.jpg

Comment

i think don't over do it. get the lowering on the second pic. should be enough. Plus if you ever need to go over a speed bump, you would be still fine with No 2 i guess. but No 3 would be too low... My two cents.

also lowering to No 3 would be "ricey" whereas No 2 is classy. Yet again my two cents...

Comment

Ithought the camber kit was to correct the increase in -ve camber from dropping the car. Eg on double wishbone suspension the top arm is shorter then the bottom so when the car squats the -ve camber increases. This is done to aid stability and let the car 'bite' into the road. It also helps over bumps thie was as it pushes tot he centre of the car otherwise if you get +ve camber the car will want to fish tail over bumps.

I didn't knwo people actually wanted to increase the -ve camber to make the wheels fir the arches! that is rediculous as it will **** up the handling and wear the tyres out.Most cars have abour -1deg of camber at normal driving height. I thought people just rolled their arches, took out the arch liners and if need be change the offset or put narrower wheels on (we used to run non standard width alloys in the old days when cars were not designed to take 18" upwards).

I have never used a camber kit because our cars are mostly front wheen drive and have trailing arm rear suspension (takes up less room) which is fixed and doesnt have the any camber change issues (it's front wheel dive so squatting down will not help it pull away and the trailing arms have fixed geometry)

All of which reminds me...need to go get some new front springs to drop it 35mm and andjust my rear torsion bar (i can drop the ride height without any new parts by jsut rotating the splines - up to 40mm then i have to get stiffer torsion springs)

Comment

My lowered Stang:

H&R Progressive Super Sport Springs
                          MM Front and Rear Spring Isolators
                          Bilstein Shocks and Struts
                          Steeda 3 Bolt Caster Camber Plates

Makes for 2" drop in the front and 1.75" drop in the back. Nice ride with those springs too.

Mike
                          2000 Sunburst Gold Mustang GT

Comment

Thanks! Do you have a pic on level pavement?

Comment

Also, how much did that hardware combination cost you?

Comment

Working...
                              X