Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang Chevy

[vent mode]
    We bought a '94 Chevy G20 Work van (pic l8tr) to have a workhorse. We just exchanged the fuelpump, and foun out that one of the 6 pistons ain't working at all! so the Mechankic sad we need a new engine. It's still running, but it's backfiring a lot, and such. I just did a full tune-up on it, and it runs much better than when we bought it. now with this good news, i don't know what i should do... Any ideas? I was thinking we could replace the engine if we find one cheap, my dad already did a job like that on a van like this, and would save tons of monay. Other ideas? Damn cheap thing!

cheers
    [/vent mode]

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
    [vent mode]
    We bought a '94 Chevy G20 Work van (pic l8tr) to have a workhorse. We just exchanged the fuelpump, and foun out that one of the 6 pistons ain't working at all! so the Mechankic sad we need a new engine. It's still running, but it's backfiring a lot, and such. I just did a full tune-up on it, and it runs much better than when we bought it. now with this good news, i don't know what i should do... Any ideas? I was thinking we could replace the engine if we find one cheap, my dad already did a job like that on a van like this, and would save tons of monay. Other ideas? Damn cheap thing!

cheers
    [/vent mode]
    Why not rebuild the engine?
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

You and I must shop at the same car lots

I got home tonight and noticed a rather large puddle of brake fluid underneath my bronco. :sigh:
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

as a van guy id say rebuild it dont do what i did.
        i blew my 1st engine by not putting oil in it ( i was 17) then i bought a brand new crate motor and got it mounted) 3k later and 5 mos later. i was happy. now however i wish i would have gotten it rebuilt. instead i wish i had gotten a larger worked engine to put in it with some modifications and such.
        but id say yea its in good shape otherwise from when i saw it on sunday
        if youve done it before itll be fun.
        hell ill come out there one day and you can show me how to tune up this beast as well and ill get some more cheap gas
        .______
        | '_ |__\___
        [(o)|___(o)] XB
        ._________
        | I__I I_I|_\__I
        [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

no problem, we can set something up. what size engine do you have? i can help you tune it up...

Comment

its a V8 5.7 ltr 350 and loves gas (this is not an invitation however for 0l33l
            to post however)
            .______
            | '_ |__\___
            [(o)|___(o)] XB
            ._________
            | I__I I_I|_\__I
            [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

i have the 262 4.3L and i takes about 10MPG with 5 pistons working, and backfiring a lot...

Comment

Ummm.... sounds like a good place to drop in a Chevy 350.
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

4.3's can be found for VERY VERY cheap. Go to a u-pull-it junkyard. I'm sure you could find one. However, if your engine block is ok, just do a rebuild.
                  Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                  Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
                  sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

if you don't mind the extra work try to find a 4.2 I6 trailblazer engine, its got an extra 70 HP (over the 4.3 V6) and it should get a solid 18 miles to the gallon in the city in the lighter van, but the 350 is a no brainer. if your really concerned about gas toss in a 3.8L V6 it has slightly less torque (~20 less) but gets 19 city 30 highway in a 3500 pound car

Comment

would it fit the stock tranny? btw: is there a forum for this or something? maybe a good explanatory FAQ or TUT. I may do a swap. Although i think we just gonna run the ***** out of this van and kill it. It was only 1G. We'll see...

THX on the replys though...

Comment

Petrol engine in a van =

Twin turbo 5 litre diesel! Torque in one of those would spank the petrol Chevy

Comment

yes, but that's the opinion on your side of the pond. here it's different after all we pay only a third than what you pay for "petrol" Commonly known as GAS

Comment

Well since its a 94 van it should use the 4L60e 4 speed electronically controlled auto, thats the same tranny used by just about all GM RWD cars and light duty trucks, if you get the Engine computer and wiring harness from an 98+ V6 camaro auto it should be a fairly painless swap. the only problem is your truck is ODBI and the series II 3800 is ODBII so some issues are a pain. www.L67swap.com has more info on swapping that type of engine, although its geared towards the supercharged version, most of the info is the same. you might also want to find a S10 forum since the newer version of the vortec 4300 is a direct bolt on (pretty much all GM engine bolt up to all GM transmissions) and yields you a little more torque than the 3800 but the computer would have to be swapped in the same way. you could always swap in the supercharged 3800 as well but the intake will have to be reworked. Holden uses the engine in RWD cars in austrailia so they have the parts.

Comment

i think i'm not gonna do anything to this truck, rather use it, and kill it. than it's up for parts. i got the truck for $1000 so i'm not investing too much in it...

Comment

Working...
                              X