Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pimp my ride - Do they do any work on the motor??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pimp my ride - Do they do any work on the motor??

Pimp my ride - Do they do any work on the motors??

It looks like some of the cars and trucks have bad motors
    and other things and they just seam to skip working
    on the real problems, and just make the car or truck
    look good - I understand its called "Pimp my ride"
    not "fix my ride" - and who would complain about
    getting the car pimped out - but they realy should
    fix it also - I like the show - but sometimes I just
    cant help think about all that money spent on a
    car or truck when the motor or tranny is bad

and some times I dont see a alarm - bad idea

They have done engine work, but the only time I saw them do any they were just adding things that looked clean, like chrome intake and sh^t. Its all about show, man.
    Carputer status: [-*---------]
    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

One time a guy got a new/used engine, only because it died before they got it to the shop.
      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

Watch Overhaulin' on Discovery. All around package. Chip Foose is a master.

Comment

Originally posted by SinnerG
          Watch Overhaulin' on Discovery. All around package. Chip Foose is a master.
          I have heard horror stories about overhaulin.
          ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
          Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
          All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
          Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

Comment

> Pimp my ride - Do they do any work on the motors??

Naw, not really. On a few of their shows they have used actuators, which are cool, but... its really all just cosmetic stuff..
            I hear what you are saying.. most of those cars are beaters and... old.. I mean who cares if the whole dash is chrome if the trans/engine have 200,000 miles on them?

SinnerG: Overhaulin' on Discovery? thanks for the tip! I'll watch out for that one!
            1995 SL stock
            Working On: GMAT
            Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY
              I have heard horror stories about overhaulin.
              I have definitely fallen asleep watching them swap out the exaust on a 2003 f150. Not that exciting.
              Carputer status: [-*---------]
              Im thinking laptop...

Comment

I always wondered about that... I suppose they do SOME stuff, because they often say how the car barely rides, etc, and then I guess it rides out of there...

I wonder if you can sell the car, and what a "pimp-my-ride" feature goes for...
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

i expect they probably do do work on the engine, just not show it on the show.... there isnt really any technical shizzle on that programme, just going on about how many amps woofers and TV screens they can get into a car..... damn they should go more technical, it might not be quite so predictable/monotinous then

Comment

I remember one show they baught a girl a brand new car because her car sucked so bad...
                    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                    Via EPIA MII
                    512MB RAM
                    OEM GPS (embedded)
                    nLite WinXP pro on
                    1GB Extreme III CF card
                    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

The one DJ sold his pimp my ride car on ebay. Didnt see what I went for though
                      My Carputer Project

Comment

if the car has a miss they'll fix it, if the exahaust is shot the'll throw a cheapie in it.....fix leaks to a certain extent.........if the brakes are shot they'll throw a set of pads in.......they do as little as necissary....but aren't going to give you back a repainted reinteriored "custom" that has grinding brakes & leaks oil on the cat.....that would be negative for them & I'm sure they avoid that within reason.......

overall the majority of the cars they do on pmr are garbage buckets to begin with....& they are refurbished accordingly.......A friend of mine once said he wishes he could get his car on pimp my ride.....I said no you don't.....

you'd be surprised how many kids throw money on top of money into garbage buckets....to me pimp my ride shows the results of doing just this..... it's entertainment....but I wouldn't ever let them touch one of my cars..
                        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

You just have to buy the most POS car you can find and make up some story that your friends and familly tell them so you can get on the show. Like: Hes a good kid he always helps everyone and never got nothing back.... Its always the same story.

Comment

Hes a good kid he always helps everyone and never got nothing back
                            Thats my whole life - no really - but I like my car the way it is,
                            My life would be perfect if I could get laid may be Pimp
                            my ride could find a girl for me - or pimp out a blow up doll

Comment

They did a couple rebuilds/new engines

-Legend - rebuild
                              -Baja Beetle - brand new engine
                              -CRX - rebuilt
                              -CRX - rebuilt
                              -2004 4-runner (to replace)
                              -2004 Scion xB (to replace)

I'm sure they did more...

I read a thing saying they take the cars to a engine repair shop afterwards if they dont want to waste time on the show showing how to fix an engine. But its rediculous because one time, the guy had gator shoes, guchi wallet, non-wrinkles dress shirt and cackies on, big house by the beach and palm trees all over the place...and he had an escalade in the driveway next to a POS that wouldnt start... I think some people go to a junk-yard, pick up a crappy car for a couple hundred dollars, and get ready for their 15 minutes of fame...

Comment

Working...
                              X