Opinons on PC (not for car)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinons on PC (not for car)

I bought my current desktop computer very early in 2001 and after over 4 years of use I have decided it is time to retire the monsterous P4 1.3 ( the very first P4 i might add) and get myself something alittle more modern.

I have been tring to browse around the OC forums and get a feel for what components I can get good quality and performence out of while not breaking the bank. And this is what I have come up with...

Mobo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130491
    Cpu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103534
    Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118119
    Ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145450
    HD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148065
    Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119049

toal shipped : $703.94

for a vid card I already have a 9600se that works fine for my purposes

So the big question for me is the RAM and Mobo, I noticed that is RAM that is priced way to high for my blood. Any overclockers amoung us who can give any thoughts on whether or not this is a good combo? I plan on running the chip around 2.4-2.6 ghz from what I have been reading this should not be a problem for the chip, which some people claim to have running and tested stable @2.8

think it can be done?
    My Install

Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

hey. I like what you put together there... Don't cheap out on anything. If you want it to work for another 4 years, this'll be good. Also, i might be interested in your old one. How much (or maybe for free) would you part with it? I'm trying to build a Seti Clster...

Comment

I think it's a great system. The RAM is a decent price when you consider the quality; you might find it cheaper on newegg within the next month, they do that **** constantly. Although I have an aversion to MSI, I can't explain why.... I have built 5 systems, 4 of which are still running and an MSI is one of the good ones. I just won't build one for myself.
      I'd recommend upgrading from AGP to PCI express.
      Good deals.
      Carputer status: [-*---------]
      Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
        hey. I like what you put together there... Don't cheap out on anything. If you want it to work for another 4 years, this'll be good. Also, i might be interested in your old one. How much (or maybe for free) would you part with it? I'm trying to build a Seti Clster...

ya I am tring not cheap out, i hate buying something if it does not take alot of time and effort to find the best quality I feel like I am cheating myself. The only problem with this approach is that while you are really proud of your ****, and not just because you paid alot of money for it, but because it is what you wanted and what you will use, it is not cheap.

so I have to stay with the good to mid range stuff to be budget concious.

I will let you know if I deside to part with the old box, but I think I am going to keep it as a server box. (not sure exactly what yet)
        My Install

Software:
        CFiG v1
        iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
          I think it's a great system. The RAM is a decent price when you consider the quality; you might find it cheaper on newegg within the next month, they do that **** constantly. Although I have an aversion to MSI, I can't explain why.... I have built 5 systems, 4 of which are still running and an MSI is one of the good ones. I just won't build one for myself.
          I'd recommend upgrading from AGP to PCI express.
          Good deals.

Was the MSI a pain to setup?? I am hearing extreme good and bad with the board, sort of love hate reveiws, I am starting to think I might splerge and go with a DFI lanparty (extra $80 or so)
          My Install

Software:
          CFiG v1
          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

I don't recall any 9600SE being PCIex (the mobo is). So you'll need a new GFX or an older mobo with AGP (NF3?). From what I've heard the best overclocker around is DFI's NF4 series (I have the A8N-SLI Deluxe and I love it) but beware....even these boards have problems !

Choose wiselly young Jedi......

Comment

www.pricewatch.com

31C
              The Car
              http://www.kurtvogeley.com/misc/page.jpg

The Case
              http://kurtvogeley.com/misc/3197-4598-82307.jpe
              Not mine, but you get the idea

[----------]0% Complete
              Give me a break Im 3000+ miles away

Comment

Your 9600se is an AGP card, right?

Does that mobo have an AGP slot?

Comment

damn it, I guess I missed that detail, grrrrrr.

<rant> they keep ISA on mobo's for years after PCI came out, AGP just instantly vanishes into thin air??? </rant>

guess it is back to the drawing board,
                  My Install

Software:
                  CFiG v1
                  iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

NForce4 makes me jealous. I hate you.

Good choice on socket 939. I have socket 734, it seems to be a dead end.
                    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
                    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

the DFI is a good idea i think. I fell out of the build-your-own-performance-desktop ways a while back, since i have a laptop, but i heard only good things about it. Also, let me know whith the old one, b/c i'm ancuously colecting to get a cluster up. I'm planing on about 10-12 midrange pc's... I'l be on Ebay a lot...

Comment

System I build for a friend... very similar

GIGABYTE GA-K8NXP-SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - $165
                        AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - $268
                        SAPPHIRE Radeon X800PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - $259
                        Samsung 512MB DDR 400 (PC 3200) - $75
                        Samsung 512MB DDR 400 (PC 3200) - $75
                        Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JD 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - $112
                        Case - $70
                        THERMALTAKE Silent PurePower TT-420AD(DUAL FAN) 420W Power Supply - $38.99
                        Reusing RW drive - $Free
                        ASUS DVD-E616P2S IDE DVD-ROM Drive - $29
                        Floppy (if you want one) - $10
                        CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - $69
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

well, I have a new computer comming thanks for all the help and suggestions

I went with a 6600gt (express pci) nvidia card and also added a dvd16x burner (nec)

total shipped was 925.00

man I cannot wait.
                          My Install

Software:
                          CFiG v1
                          iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell

StopWatch

Comment

That's going to be lots of fun to put together
                            "I'm a dick!"
                            "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

Comment

/me envie mode...

Comment

Working...
                              X