Had a different type of fun today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a different type of fun today

Just went for a quick flight this afternoon. Couldn't be gone too long, I had to get back to work. Took off from Creswell airport and contacted Cascade Approach to let them know I was heading to Eugene. He gave me a transponder code and almost immediately handed me off to Eugene tower.

"Eugene tower, Cessna four niner six two hotel with you at two thousand five hundred, landing."

"Roger, 62 Hotel, make modified straight in, clear to land three four."

"Ah, six two hotel would like a touch & go."

"Will you be staying in the pattern after that?"

"Negative, just one touch and go, then departing back to Creswell."
    **pause**
    "Roger, 62 Hotel, cleared for single touch and go on three four, then right downwind departure."

"Touch & go three four, then right downwind departure, 62 hotel."

I came in, landed, cleaned up the plane and took off before I slowed down too much and began climbing. I wanted to yell 'Tag, you're it!' but I didn't think the tower would approve.

I also did a little bit of slow flight and a couple stalls. There were some gusts up there, and one of them tipped me up about 30 degrees while I was turning, that was pretty exciting. Those high wing aircraft really seem to react stronger to that stuff. Either that, or the "is it a backpack or an airplane" Cessna 152 is just so light that it gets tossed around more then the Piper I flew.

I'm getting some practice in so I can, if the weather is good, take my son up for the first time on Sunday. Fingers crossed!
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Yeah man.. good fun ... I'm ready to get back at flying myself.. been looking at planes to buy recently.. I don't feel confortable on slow 2 seaters.. they're too light as you said, so low level flight (which is the most often on small planes) kind of sucks because it never stops shaking.. in the other hand, if you go up high enough it may slow you down quite a bit (if you're not going downwind) -- I've had ground speed of 40Mi/h (120 indicated) on a two seater at 8000 feet, but in that case I was exactly trying to "waste" time to log cross-country hours
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

you had the better type of fun than me I wish i could learn to fly. I really love the flight sims that i have...

Comment

I'm shopping for a plane now, the 152 was a rental. I'm looking for a Piper Warrior, or... maybe if I could find a good deal/partnership on an RV-6 or RV-7 rigged for IFR....

Comment

Awesome... I'd love to fly. My dad used to fly cessnas a long time ago, always wanted to take a shot at it myself.
          Zen Fat Loss

Comment

I was supposed to go up today, but the online reservation system cancelled my flight because the C152 is supposed to be down for maintenance. I just called them to see what is going on, because if I'm not flying I've got other stuff to do today
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I haven't flown since high school, but I got to my cross-country solo flight when I DID take lessons. My dad has his license but he hasn't flown in a long time. I love being in the REAL small planes, specifically because of the turbulance
              Check out a Diamond Katana if you get a chance - they're even smaller than a C-152 and a blast to fly.
              Old plans out the window because of an accident .
              Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
              Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

Not a lot to choose from hereabouts for rentals. 152s, various 172s. If there was a Cherokee Warrior to rent I'd be in it everyday and halfway through my instrument rating, but... bleh.

My ideal money/realistic target plane is a P28A-161, say 1979-1980, equipped for IFR. That, or maybe an RV-7A rigged the same. I have time in the Warrior, and the RV-7A sounds pretty similar in characteristics. It's not a 4 seater, but it'd be quite a bit faster.

Comment

Envy....
                  One of the reasons I haven't flown in years is the lack of excitement around here. It's so... flat. Sure, going places in and of itself is fine, but I can drive there for 1/10th the cost! Mountains - that's where it's at. They must put an exciting (and scenic) twist on things!
                  http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                  CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                  Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

I decided to get back into it after realizing that my stress level goes through the roof after 5 hours of driving. At that point, it seems that people are pulling in front of me and slowing down purely out of spite. I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks, and it would be a 13+ hr drive from here, so I am relearning to fly so I dont have to make that drive.
                    I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                      so I am relearning to fly so I dont have to make that drive.
                      Awesome reason! Trying to show off to the relatives, huh?
                      A few years back, a few relatives of mine drove up to Orr, MN for a week. (it's near Canada). Go figure - my instructor tells me that I need to do a long-distance x-country trip. So what do I do? Orr. All of a couple hour flight for me - a full day drive for them!

But seriously, is that any way to pay off the debt?
                      http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                      CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                      Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

I went up in a buddy's helicoper once and he let me take the controls for awhile, that was fun. Its a LOT different then a plane though
                        Is this where the witty comment goes?
                        97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

I'm an only child so my parents would sometimes bring along my cousin Julie on vacations with us. Coming back from one of these vacations, the weather was right so we decided to fly Julie back home. Schenectady airport, near Albany, to Manchester, NH. For anyone who knows, that goes right over the Berkshire Mountains.
                          So I was still learning about cross-country navigation and my dad decided to give me a little lesson on how to use the VOR system; meanwhile we had cilimbed to about 7000' MSL to clear a cloud bank over the mountains. My cousin was in the back seat, already a little nervous, when my dad looked at me and said, "OK, now tell me where we are." I immediately looked at the charts and started playing with the VOR equipment to figure out our exact position. My dad just kept flying the plane, looking for a break in the clouds to descend through.
                          It wasn't for another 15 minutes that I looked back and saw Julie huddled in the corner, as small as she could possibly make herself, practically in tears because she thought we were lost! It took me a few minutes to figure out the problem was, but when I explained it she didn't look much comforted...
                          To the best of my knowledge she hasn't set foot on a plane since that day
                          Old plans out the window because of an accident .
                          Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
                          Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
                            But seriously, is that any way to pay off the debt?
                            It's in the budget
                            I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Now we seem to be playing the "how many times can we cancel a flight in one week" game. Visibility was <3mi today, so no VFR for me!

I did, however, get to sit in a Katana, and man that thing is SWEET! And the price difference to the coast and back is only like $6 because that thing is so much faster than a 152
                              I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X