legitimate MP3 downloads...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legitimate MP3 downloads...

I'm considering paying a monthly fee if it means I don't have to deal with this anti piracy media on cds bull****....

Napster will let you keep the music as long as you are a paying member and connect every few weeks to let them know (won't work in my car - no I don't want to connect to the net with my car)...

I want a service that will let me download in the highest quality possible in mp3 (320)....but napster only does 192 in .wma....lame

does anyone know of any other services out there?
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

www.allofmp3.com not completely legal, but not completely illegal either; kinda in a gray area..

Best part though, is the fact that you can pick your own bitrate. They charge you based on bandwidth.

Be sure to use their client, it's much better than downloading from the web.
    Stealth OEM spyder
    1204 dot net!

Comment

So does this site not have any DRM? There's just gotta be a place where I can legitimately buy music that I can use with my CarPC.

Red, what did you end up going with?
      My install log
      My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

nothing

I've been going about it in the not so legal way...:|
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I know what you mean. That's what they get for DRMing us to death.
          My install log

Comment

Well I use http://www.emusic.com , the allofmp3.com already mentioned and http://www.mp3search.ru which is in english but the legal statement saying its legit is in russian. The way most of these legit sites work is they charge you a small fee and then they pay a small royalty per download to the respective people.

I used to use Napster, Itunes, and Rhapsody. But they just ****ed me off since to me it was stupid to pay a fee to be able to listen to whatever I wanted then if I wanted to like burn it to cd or put on my mp3 player I had to pay another fee. But thats just me.
            Avengerki
            PC Install: 85%
            Car PC: Revo-Sys X300 Double Din: 1.3GHz Pentium
            Software install and setup: 35%
            Entertainment Package: 85%

Comment

Or do what I do. I have Yahoo Music loaded on my PC in my car, unlimited downloads and ****e like that, I think I pay $12 a month for it. It gives me unlimited music transfers to my DJ as well, kind of like the napster to go. It sounds fine in the car... I believe it's 192k, all my mp3's I rip myself are 224, so it's close enough for me. You can use your subscription on up to 3 PCs, so I also have it loaded on my home and office pc. This way I can sync my DJ from anywhere as well. If I just downloaded a new album or something onto my DJ, I just drop it in the cradle in my car, and transfer it to my CarPC.

And if I need to do something simple like renew my DRM license, I can do that with my cell phone connected to my CarPC. All in all kind of an involved setup, but it works awesome for me. Much cheaper as I usually buy about 3 to 7 albums per month at $14 a piece.
              Tidder

Try RevFE
              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by avengerki
                Well I use http://www.emusic.com , the allofmp3.com already mentioned and http://www.mp3search.ru which is in english but the legal statement saying its legit is in russian. The way most of these legit sites work is they charge you a small fee and then they pay a small royalty per download to the respective people.

I used to use Napster, Itunes, and Rhapsody. But they just ****ed me off since to me it was stupid to pay a fee to be able to listen to whatever I wanted then if I wanted to like burn it to cd or put on my mp3 player I had to pay another fee. But thats just me.
                Those places don't offer the MP3s in the quality that I am looking for...
                Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder
                  Or do what I do. I have Yahoo Music loaded on my PC in my car, unlimited downloads and ****e like that, I think I pay $12 a month for it. It gives me unlimited music transfers to my DJ as well, kind of like the napster to go. It sounds fine in the car... I believe it's 192k, all my mp3's I rip myself are 224, so it's close enough for me. You can use your subscription on up to 3 PCs, so I also have it loaded on my home and office pc. This way I can sync my DJ from anywhere as well. If I just downloaded a new album or something onto my DJ, I just drop it in the cradle in my car, and transfer it to my CarPC.

And if I need to do something simple like renew my DRM license, I can do that with my cell phone connected to my CarPC. All in all kind of an involved setup, but it works awesome for me. Much cheaper as I usually buy about 3 to 7 albums per month at $14 a piece.
                  Again, I'm not willing to pay money when I can't get it in the quality I demand.
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                    Those places don't offer the MP3s in the quality that I am looking for...
                    Just giving you options.
                    Avengerki
                    PC Install: 85%
                    Car PC: Revo-Sys X300 Double Din: 1.3GHz Pentium
                    Software install and setup: 35%
                    Entertainment Package: 85%

Comment

Originally posted by silencery
                      www.allofmp3.com not completely legal, but not completely illegal either; kinda in a gray area..

Best part though, is the fact that you can pick your own bitrate. They charge you based on bandwidth.

Be sure to use their client, it's much better than downloading from the web.

I use allofmp3 also. Never had any problems and have used them for years. Your advice is good. They do claim they pay royalties and such, so afaik all legal. They also offer an alternative service called alltunes, which I like too. The client interface seems to load faster, but basically the same, same login.

Comment

good god people, reading comprehension must be a lost art

Jan Bennett

Comment

Sorry if I misunderstood the thread topic.

Comment

For the quality you demand, it looks like legality is going to have to be thrown out the window. Just DL/rip your own music until a system comes out that satisfies your needs.
                            Spent so far: $1,755
                            Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                            CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                            Don't mess with Texas.
                            It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

So the services above work with frontends like RR? How does the DRM work? I really hate the idea of "renting" music. iTunes had it right with $1/song, but lost me with not being able to play the music outside of iTunes/iPod. I too would like something better than 192kbps.
                              My install log

Comment

Working...
                              X