Retail Sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail Sucks

So I work at Home Depot and well I am starting to hate retal. I did food service and then tried the Army thing for a bit (skills for a life time my ***). I was thinking of doing something like going to Devry and getting a network admin type education, mainly becasue its mon-fri, air conditioned and the pay is good (way more than the 1300 a month I made in the Army/Home Deopt).
    Does anyone have an other ideas, praises or warnings?

On average, college graduates earn about $800,000 more over their lifetime than non graduates. If you haven't gone, you may qualify for assistance under military benefits.

Of course the circumstances will vary and getting a degree says nothing about the qualities that really count like honesty, integrity, personal values and the like. But on average, the earnings are higher and the work environment is different.

Value of a college degree
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by kirbycope
      I was thinking of doing something like going to Devry and getting a network admin type education, mainly becasue its mon-fri, air conditioned and the pay is good (way more than the 1300 a month I made in the Army/Home Deopt).
      Does anyone have an other ideas, praises or warnings?
      Network admin people RARELY just work 9-5 on weekdays. Dending on the job most changes have to be made at off hours. And you are generaly on call 24x7. It is good pay though.
      My carputer project

Comment

Go back to the military, sure you'll have to do 4 more years but it sounds like it just didnt meat your expectations not that you hated it...

You can get 4 years un-innturuppted full college tuition and then owe four more years as an officer living the easy life.

And your opinions may change as an officer =P

That is of course if you dont qualify for any educational benefits as of now.

EDIT: And don't forget your IT ladder, network admin is somwhere on the bottom lol

Trust me you'll work a desk from 9-5 and start wishing you were back at Home Depot. It's not all its talked up to be. <-- me every day
        James Radcliffe
        [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
        |||||++++++| 40% Making Final Pre-Purchase Plans
        Car Stereo (Phase II)
        |||||||||++| 80% - Building box, getting ready to wire
        Carputer (Phase III)
        ||+++++++++| 10% Desiging CarPC case

Comment

No, no benefits from the GI Bill, I spent too much on my now ex to pay into it enough... women

Comment

No, no benefits from the GI Bill, I spent too much on my now ex to pay into it enough... women
            Join a local guard unit. Tuition assistance:
            http://www.dmva.state.co.us/viewpage.php?UGFnZUlEPTM1
            [H]4 Life
            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
            I'm a lesbian too.
            I am for hire!

Comment

The problem with the guard (and this varies, also depends what your recruiter is willing to put into your contract before you sign it) is I think its harder to get a garuntee you can go to school for four years without being deployed.

Plus if you do the real military yes you owe four years (sure you owe time in the guard as well) but you may end up liking life as an officer, decent housing, way better pay, and good retirement.

I would give anything to be in the military, I just cant for the life of me get in shape! Try as hard as I might nothing seems to work, I'm sure its all me but I seem to put out the effort and get no returns. Granted I have trouble sticking with things without results but as far as im concerned running 1.5 a day for three weeks straight should no matter what lose some weight, but everyones like ahhh you gotta stick with it longer.

im like bull**** lol.
              James Radcliffe
              [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
              Car Stereo (Phase II)
              Carputer (Phase III)

Comment

Originally posted by JaymzRR
                The problem with the guard (and this varies, also depends what your recruiter is willing to put into your contract before you sign it) is I think its harder to get a garuntee you can go to school for four years without being deployed.
                If you're worried about deployment, you shouldn't join the military at all.
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

I would love to join again, but I cant unless I am cleared for my torn shoulder (which is why I left). But I wasn't really asking about how to pay for an education, so much as what experiance you all had in the technology industry and whats really in demand.

Comment

If you like car and work with car, go with smog tech.
                    That is an easy field and good pay. Unless every car on the street run on electric, natural gas, or biodiesel, there is always a demand for smog tech.

Another is, well, something in the medical field.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                      If you're worried about deployment, you shouldn't join the military at all.
                      Not true at all, especially with enlistement down most are willing to write anti-deployment status into the contract for the 4 years you will be in school. Sure it doesnt really help them in the short run but A) A recruit is a recruit, B) It helps them in 4 years.

I would love to join again, but I cant unless I am cleared for my torn shoulder (which is why I left). But I wasn't really asking about how to pay for an education, so much as what experiance you all had in the technology industry and whats really in demand.
                      I can't say on the college experience really, but make sure you find something you like. I know you probably know this, but I have worked several jobs and it's incredible the difference. I work two (three actually) right now, one I do basically data entry, though really I manage our data entry/retention system. $11.50 an hour (keep in mind im 18), make my own hours, etc. etc. But it absolutely blows. I have respect, a job most 18 years olds could never get, an awsome reference, work with awsome people, but the job just plain blows. Im lucky if I can do it for more than 2 hours a day, its so dry and boring. Medicated I can get about 4 hours, sometimes more lol (ADD).

I also deliver pizza for Papa John's, and it kicks ***. Sure I'd rather be sitting here checking forums but as far as work goes it couldnt be better. I sit in my awsome car and drive all night long. Sure some nights pay isnt much better over my minimum wage hourly (keep in mind car maintenance and gas is on me) and sometimes (though rarely) I can pull in more than $25 an hour.... but its just plain AWSOME!

I also worked at Subway and same thing, one of my bosses was a dip**** and I made minimum wage, but it didn't matter because I LOVED what I did, I am a people person and it was just an awsome job. I worked with ex-cons and drop outs mostly, but still it was an awsome job lol.

So, not to lecture you since you know, but let me just re-affirm the need to do what you love lol.
                      James Radcliffe
                      [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
                      Car Stereo (Phase II)
                      Carputer (Phase III)

Comment

I'd second that. Incredibly, I have a job where I do work that I love, more by luck than design. I often head home at the end of the day feeling guilty because I'd do the job for a lot less than they pay me.

The point is, you can get a job to make a lot of money but if they suck, they suck. The pay helps but satisfaction is the long term payoff.
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

YAY tonight I came home with a whole $16 in tips/mileage (and hourly) for a friday night that BLOWS. But I still had fun.
                          James Radcliffe
                          [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
                          Car Stereo (Phase II)
                          Carputer (Phase III)

Comment

Four of my closest friends deliver pizzas, I'd do it but I recently moved to Denver and have a hard time finding Radio Shack. Anyway, I did the programming thing in highschool because I programmed many popular apps/games for the TI-89 on TICALC.org and all I learned was VB6 and a little C++ (got 2nd place in the Tri-county FBLA comp) I loved programming for the TI-89 but the classwork programming sucked and I played Doom half the time. I have fun troubleshooting computers for my friends, so I was thinking an IT or Network admin might be my niche. I looked in the paper and all the hospitals are hiring experianced Network admins so I think getting my foot it the door might be a lil difficult.

Comment

Hehehe dont forget doing what you love for someone else can suck =P

I look at the **** our IT department has to put up with, not sure I could deal with it lol. "Uhhh my monitor is black whats wrong with my computer?" "Well did you see if it came unplugged..." "oh uhhh no" lol =P

If you enjoy people and dont mind stupid people it would probably be fun, but yea lol. Military! Undoes the whole viscious circle, unlike everyone else they dont care about experience =P lol

One thing you may wanna try, is move into a company and get some experience with them, and then try to move to IT or such, they may be less concerned about IT experience if they have already worked with you for a year or more and know your a good employee. This may require two degrees or something (if you did a full 4 years though many employers see that as a degree) though so could be tougher, and surely not as convienant as going straight to IT hehe.
                              James Radcliffe
                              [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
                              Car Stereo (Phase II)
                              Carputer (Phase III)

Comment

Working...
                              X