Why do people think....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people think....

...that an 11-year-old car for sale for $1000 shouldn't have any problems with it?

I have a station wagon for sale that has a burnt exhaust valve and no air conditioning, but it runs and gets about 28mpg. I just cant get a tag for it because it wont pass emissions, which is why im selling it. I've had about 60 calls on it in the last 3 weeks, and just about every conversation has ended with them saying, "well, I don't wanna buy a car that I'm gonna have to turn around and fix."

Where in the hell are these people shopping for cars that they think that they can find a car in pristine condition for a grand?

I've learned my lesson, though. When this one is sold and I put the bronco out there, I am going to have a clear list of "what's wrong with it" so I can weed out some of these idiots.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Just get an answering machine, tell them what is wrong and if they are still interested tell them to leave their name and number.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

Claim ignorance and plausible deniability... let em find out for themselves... my first car was a pos, the lady told me the a/c DID work.... right.... just like those speakers were in great shape.... I knew what I was buying, and got my $300 worth.
      Carputer status: [-*---------]
      Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Heres some trick people does...

You advertise the car for $1,000. Lets say you know the exhaust has had it and there is a slight dent somewhere not too obvious. The buyer realised this too but wont say a word.

So you carry on with the deal hoping the buyer wont notice the fault and the condition of the car.

You both agree on a price after the buyer had pushed it really low, $900 lets say. You know the cars fault and can sell as low as this. Buyer still not saying a word about what he sees. The buyer then look around again and start pointing out the fault he knew it was there right from the beginning.

Oh but you know the exhaust will cost me...the dent will cost me...I think it be fair to lower the price so I can get all this sorted out. How about $750? buyer making you feel bad not lowering the price below 900 with all the fault still on it. You then feel so bad and feel like a conman...what the heck have it for 750 then.

It work quite well actually

Comment

BTW, I was asking $1000, only wanting $300, and might end up actually getting the $1000 from the call I got today.

But we shall see.
          I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

All my car was supposed to need is an air flow meter.

$2000 later I'm almost done with a clutch install.
            Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
            Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
            sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
              All my car was supposed to need is an air flow meter.

$2000 later I'm almost done with a clutch install.
              Still a damn good deal
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                BTW, I was asking $1000, only wanting $300, and might end up actually getting the $1000 from the call I got today.

But we shall see.
                Oh **** that is you?

James Radcliffe
                [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
                |||||++++++| 40% Making Final Pre-Purchase Plans
                Car Stereo (Phase II)
                |||||||||++| 80% - Building box, getting ready to wire
                Carputer (Phase III)
                ||+++++++++| 10% Desiging CarPC case

Comment

if its too good to be tru, it usually is...my rule i live by

Comment

I will buy your car right now if it has no problems

Comment

Well, it's either sold or stolen

Lady wrote a check to me for $800 tonight, but I'm keeping the title until the check clears. If the check doesnt clear, oh well. I was gonna donate it this weekend anyhow. No big deal if I got conned. I did get her drivers license number, and her plate number (which she didnt see me take down).

Down to only 2 cars now. Anyone wanna buy a bronco?
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                        Well, it's either sold or stolen

Lady wrote a check to me for $800 tonight, but I'm keeping the title until the check clears. If the check doesnt clear, oh well. I was gonna donate it this weekend anyhow. No big deal if I got conned. I did get her drivers license number, and her plate number (which she didnt see me take down).

Down to only 2 cars now. Anyone wanna buy a bronco?
                        Let em see where i could use a bronco... What would shipping to NJ be?

Comment

People wnat something for nothing, and nothing in life is frreeeee! I want my MTV!

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
                            Let em see where i could use a bronco... What would shipping to NJ be?
                            well, with gas prices being what they are and the bronco getting 8mpg, it would cost, oh, a billion dollars to drive it up there
                            I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

i think you got the joke... now... good luck selling it...

Comment

Working...
                              X