Wind noise through window seal, help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind noise through window seal, help!

I have an 01' Firebird, so it comes with some weatherstripping, but obviously it's not good enough because I get bad wind noise on the highway (or anything above 45mph). I found the gaps by sliding a dollar bill between the glass and the weatherstripping, but now what do I do to tighten the seal?

Does anyone know of a black weather proof foam-like spray that I can use to seal my window? It's driving me !

you can buy more stripping at an auto store. I did this to supliment my stock stuff to give a more quite ride.
    is there a frame around the glass?
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Originally posted by neon_eddy
      you can buy more stripping at an auto store. I did this to supliment my stock stuff to give a more quite ride.
      is there a frame around the glass?
      I tried that, I went to autozone and just got some vinyl foam, and both the most generic looking one because none of them had my car listed. Didn't work worth a crap!

Comment

Are you talking about the seal? , take out the seal put some plastic (like from a garbage bag) and put back the seal , so now the seal is more out and touches more the window.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller
          Are you talking about the seal? , take out the seal put some plastic (like from a garbage bag) and put back the seal , so now the seal is more out and touches more the window.
          I'm confused, are you saying to stuff the inside of the seal with a plastic bag, or are you saying like stuff it in behind the seal to push it out more?

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX
            I'm confused, are you saying to stuff the inside of the seal with a plastic bag, or are you saying like stuff it in behind the seal to push it out more?
            Well the seal should push into a piece like if i would take a piece of paper in my hand.

so if i puth some plastic over the piece of paper and my hand back were it was my hand should be further out.

Comment

like that seal pushes in the metal , so on the metal you put a piece of plastic over it and push back the seal in place.

Comment

Well the seal should push into a piece like if i would take a piece of paper in my hand.

so if i puth some plastic over the piece of paper and my hand back were it was my hand should be further out.
                I'll try putting plastic bag up into the plastic the holds the weatherstripping, but that might make the weatherstripping too far out, and it might start to fall off.

I am more looking at a perminant solution, and spraying it with something like black vinyl foam seems like would be the best way to go, but I'm definitely going to try your solution atleast till I find the product I need.

Comment

I dont know how your seel is made but usually the seal as a slice in it so you just put the metal in the slice , so if you put plastic in the slice ( buy putting the plastic on the metal and then pushing the seal over) the seal shouldnt go in completely.

Comment

I dont know how your seel is made but usually the seal as a slice in it so you just put the metal in the slice , so if you put plastic in the slice ( buy putting the plastic on the metal and then pushing the seal over) the seal shouldnt go in completely.
                    You are correct, the seal will not going in completely, but there is a reason that the seal goes in as far as it does, and I'm worried if it doesn't go in completely, it might fall out.

Comment

Check with the dealer.. perhaps there is a TSB about this..?
                      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Theres always been problems with seals and f-bodies (t-tops usually)

Comment

I wonder if this would work:
                          http://www.touch-n-seal.com/dunfoamII.htm

Might be too much money, I don't see any pricing on the site...

^It's polyeurethane, is that something I would want to use?

Comment

Threadjack, similar topic/ I have a similar problem, except with my door seals. I think I am just going to replace them, but is there an easier solution for those? I was also thinking of trying some sort of sealant spray... idunno.
                            Carputer status: [-*---------]
                            Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Threadjack #2 - My probe doors are frameless, and above 80mph they start to whistle...
                              www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

Working...
                              X