Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Projector Info:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Homemade Projector Info:

    Aparently you can get a 20.00 lifetime membership to: http://www.lumenlab.com/ which supposedly gives you all the direction you need to build a high quality DIY projector.

    After viewing the forums I couldn't help but get a little frustrated. The forums are almost identical to mp3car in the respect of thread organization, sections for newbies,FAQ's and toubleshooting.

    It looks as if members that pay to view the forums contribute and show off thier projects, advertising for lumenlab.com. Its a hobbiest website similiar to this one, except the information you must pay for, only to turn around and pay for the actual parts!

    I think that information that others have spent hours of research on should be free. I've spent quite a bit of time putting togeather valuable information on this website for EVERYONE to freely read, I couldn't imagine knowing someone else is making money of my work!!!
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

  • #2
    Originally posted by IntellaWorks
    Aparently you can get a 20.00 lifetime membership to: http://www.lumenlab.com/ which supposedly gives you all the direction you need to build a high quality DIY projector.

    After viewing the forums I couldn't help but get a little frustrated. The forums are almost identical to mp3car in the respect of thread organization, sections for newbies,FAQ's and toubleshooting.

    It looks as if members that pay to view the forums contribute and show off thier projects, advertising for lumenlab.com. Its a hobbiest website similiar to this one, except the information you must pay for, only to turn around and pay for the actual parts!

    I think that information that others have spent hours of research on should be free. I've spent quite a bit of time putting togeather valuable information on this website for EVERYONE to freely read, I couldn't imagine knowing someone else is making money of my work!!!

    why do we pay for SDKs??
    [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

    Comment


    • #3
      the info is free - head over to

      DIY Projector Company
      or
      diyAudio Forums - The Moving Image
      and
      Allinbox - Its in French - but has lots of pictures

      But if you want big nice pictures - lots of help, diagrams, blueprints
      ect ect you pay the $20 - I did, I think it was woth it, but I also
      turned a lot of the posts into PDFs using PDFCreator
      its free - you print a web page it gets sent to a PDF file

      I got about a CDs worth of plans,

      Comment


      • #4


        diyaudio.com is great. its really not to complicated to build one but the ballest and lenses are expensive as hell.

        Comment


        • #5
          and the fresnels are supposably a ***** to cut.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Escalade182
            and the fresnels are supposably a ***** to cut.
            and for the love of god - or what ever you believe in - dont clean
            them with alcohol - they will get cloudy and turn white

            and yes they are hard to cut - I killed a few - I now use a some
            tape to cover were I am going to cut - and cut real slow

            you can use fine tooth metal cutting saws - real slow
            or just use a strait edge and razor blade -

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by will1384
              and for the love of god - or what ever you believe in - dont clean
              them with alcohol - they will get cloudy and turn white

              Yeah I wish I had known that before I turned a few of them white-ish (I am on my 3rd one now).

              That was the one bit of information that I didnt find out until it was too late. (and just so everyone knows I was cleaning all of my optics with alochol until I figured it out so the change was somewhat gradual).

              c-ya
              Chris
              -----------------------------
              Dell P2 400 Laptop (reworked)
              GPS Mouse -w- Iguidence
              802.11 Realtek PCMCIA Network card
              Custom Laptop Stand

              www.chrisrowland.com
              ------------------------------

              Comment


              • #8
                i bought lumenlabs info, very nice and detailed. Explains all the theory too.
                2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

                Comment


                • #9
                  pm me the information.
















                  no seriously, pm it to me.
                  Installed
                  Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                  512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                  Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                  [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

                  Check Out My Install!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Quattro
                    pm me the information.
















                    no seriously, pm it to me.


                    That second line floored me.

                    -arebelspy
                    See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
                    Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
                    i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

                    Comment


                    • #11


                      a typical Quattro line!

                      Can someone who understands asll this crap do a simple guide for us mp3car folks who are too busy post whoring to go read it and research prices. I would like to know how much a basic setup will cost me and what parts i need. I have a spare lilliput panel and probably a controller lying round I can salvage. I don't have a TV at home so may as well build a projector.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Quattro
                        pm me the information.
                        When you buy the guide, there is a disclaimer against the distrobution of the material.

                        But this may interest you:

                        http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=186&tid=137
                        2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Scouse Monkey


                          a typical Quattro line!

                          Can someone who understands asll this crap do a simple guide for us mp3car folks who are too busy post whoring to go read it and research prices. I would like to know how much a basic setup will cost me and what parts i need. I have a spare lilliput panel and probably a controller lying round I can salvage. I don't have a TV at home so may as well build a projector.

                          Thats just it there are many ways to do the lcd projector (just like there are many ways to install the pc in a car).

                          But quick and easy,

                          Take apart the Lilliput, If everything works out you will be left with the lcd panel (you can see thru it) and the cables/boards etc. Most versions of the lilliput will allow you to disassemble it without having to worry about cables being in the way (meaning you can fold the control boards out from behind the panel without wires being in the way). Some versions do not.

                          Once you get the panel you will need to get an overhead projector (the old kind that they used to use in grade school). Put the panel on the OHP (you may need to raise it off of the glass stage a bit to ensure air flow because these things can get hot).

                          Your done (you will need to run video in to the lilliput). I use a HTPC to do this.

                          Thats as quick and easy as your going to get (unless you purchase a "projector panel from ebay". Then its just drop the panel on the overhead and go.

                          Now if ya want it better (you probably will) then you will need to read the posts at the other site. There are a million ways to configure these things (and you can purchase the lenses and the metal halide lights to get better images). Bottom line is you can spend as much or as little as you want to (my current projector cost me $50 and new bulbs are $3). Then again I have also built (and am currently building another one that is going to run about $200 and the bulbs are about $30 (and it will blow the other away).

                          Confused yet Check out the site in the sig below for the easiest version
                          or Goto the sites listed above for the complete description

                          c-ya
                          Chris
                          -----------------------------
                          Dell P2 400 Laptop (reworked)
                          GPS Mouse -w- Iguidence
                          802.11 Realtek PCMCIA Network card
                          Custom Laptop Stand

                          www.chrisrowland.com
                          ------------------------------

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            yuck I am not going the old OHP route! I want to blend this into my living room!

                            I did look at a few ways of doing it a while ago...direct light or reflected image. I have lots of Xenarc panels but only one lilliput panel - the lilliput is the only one I can use as the xenarc has a gay side ribbon (although I might try making an extender for this)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This will work nicely along the upgrade program (and give me some drive to finish it). I should have a proper electronics test bench setup in a few weeks when I get my decorating done

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X