Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can A battery go bad because its too cold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can A battery go bad because its too cold?

two times now my car is dead in the morning. its REALLY cold out in chicago. it happened today and once last week. my batt is brand new and alt starter and everything else is relativelly new also. the first time i had it towed to the mechanic and he tested everything and said the batt n alt were ok. he had to charge my batt for 45 min to get it started. now today same ****. i just got a jump from my friend. again its freezing out. do you think the battery is bad or do you think my carputer is draining too much from the battery when its cold out?
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Cold Cranking Amps is what it's all about..

Mine was dead this morning too.. charged it and it was good to go.. we'll see for tomarrow.. if it's still bad I'll get a new one.

I used to do suspend to RAM.. and I think it killed my battery over time.
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
      two times now my car is dead in the morning. its REALLY cold out in chicago. it happened today and once last week. my batt is brand new and alt starter and everything else is relativelly new also. the first time i had it towed to the mechanic and he tested everything and said the batt n alt were ok. he had to charge my batt for 45 min to get it started. now today same ****. i just got a jump from my friend. again its freezing out. do you think the battery is bad or do you think my carputer is draining too much from the battery when its cold out?

YES, to all your questions and assumptions.

It is possible that your battery is either bad, or just not up to starting you car. Is it the stock battery, or a replacement. Did you get an equal or better battery when you raplaced it, or did get the cheapest you could find (not knocking you, just wondering).

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Make sure both ends of both the positive and negative leads are clean and connected tightly, including where the negative lead is grounded to the chassis.
        ~Jimmy

Comment

I remember hearing some stat that said something about losing so much for each 10 degrees below freezing.. WiredWRX is right - CCA's is what you're concerned with, and when I lived in Wisconsin I was well aware that the best battery you can get is the only way to go.

You (or your mechanic) can do an amp-draw test to find out what the drain is - that would answer some questions for you.
          To find your favorite restaurants in Houston, check out http://www.thehubgrub.com.

If it's not fun, you're not doing it right!

Comment

Batteries don't produce as much power in the cold. It's chemistry. The chemical reactions in a battery that producies electricity goes slower when it's colder outside. That's why batteries are rated with CCA, Cold Cranking Amps. Your battery was probably marginal before, but problems showed up because it's cold.

Buy an new one. Be sure it has at least the same CCA rating as the OEM battey on your car.
            My worklog.
            Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

Dad's battery litterally froze and you could see the fluid had pushed its way out the top of the fill caps.

Guess that's what single digit weather will do to a POS battery someone put in there to sell the car...

My stock battery barely turns my 2.3L over in this weather. I have an Optima red top with another 75-100 CCAs. I just have to make a battery tie-down that works properly for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                YES, to all your questions and assumptions.

It is possible that your battery is either bad, or just not up to starting you car. Is it the stock battery, or a replacement. Did you get an equal or better battery when you raplaced it, or did get the cheapest you could find (not knocking you, just wondering).

Michael

the battery is like 3 months old. i had my car at the body shop getting some work done and my buddy who owns the shop told me my stock battery was bad(dead) so i told him replace it. i got a nice battery (interstate) i know they have awesome warranty and he gave it to me for his cost price. $80. so it wasnt my call when i bought it. i assume he gave me a good quality one because my mechanic also deals with the same brand.

Comment

the battery is like 3 months old. i had my car at the body shop getting some work done and my buddy who owns the shop told me my stock battery was bad(dead) so i told him replace it. i got a nice battery (interstate) i know they have awesome warranty and he gave it to me for his cost price. $80. so it wasnt my call when i bought it. i assume he gave me a good quality one because my mechanic also deals with the same brand.
                  It's not necessarily brand, though that is important, it's rating in this case, the CCA that is most important. You can look it up on the battery, and then confirm it is rated equal to, or greater then, stock.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

yeah i got to check that out. if its not enough most likely i know hell exchange it for the right one for free.

Comment

I just got a new one, one of those calcium based ones, been dead twice this week also, in the uk.

Its not only age of the battery etc, its what current your pulling overnight with things on standby.

I have about 200mA on the cars suspension ECU, about 500ma on the monitor because I wired it to +12vbat instead of +12ign, few other bits adds up to about 1.5amp

On a warm night (2c-5c) its ok, but like I sadi two nights this week it fell to about -2c and those mornings it just slowly turned over and would not crank fast enough to get the engine going.

combination of low-long drain and cold, its like a mulitplying effect.

Battery is a month old.
                      Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                        Its not only age of the battery etc, its what current your pulling overnight with things on standby.

I have about 200mA on the cars suspension ECU, about 500ma on the monitor because I wired it to +12vbat instead of +12ign, few other bits adds up to about 1.5amp
                        What!?!?! This isn't ok at all! I agonized over my suspend-to-ram or hibernate decsision. In my car without my carPC, it pulls about 2mA by itself (alarm, etc.), With my carPC suspended to ram, I'm pulling about 180-200mA. I consider that a lot.

Let's say you have a 60AH battery (many aren't that high, mine is), that's really the 20hour rate so it's 3A for 20hrs. You're drawing half that, so you have 40hrs before complete drain. Your car battery does NOT like this. It will wear out sooooo fast.
                        My worklog.
                        Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

Quick FYI to all... There is an excellent auto battery FAQ here:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/

-g.

Comment

Working...
                          X