Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Know of a Good DVR cctv capture card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Know of a Good DVR cctv capture card?

im looking to install a new security system in my store using 8 cameras ( also reccomend me some cameras) im going to use a 3000+ sempron computer with 80 gb hdd which ill upgrade later. ok this is my problem. I have a 32 inch tv in front of the store so i can see the cameras when not in my office. the computer and wiring for 8 cameras will be in the office. i want to be able to record and everything with my computer, but i really havent found any pci cards that will input 4 or 8 cameras(if 4 ill buy 2 cards) and output a video source so i dont have to send my desktop to my tv in front of the store. for example i wanna be able to browse mp3car.com while in my office and the cameras still showing on the big tv up front. anyone? im thinking maybe this card might work? opinions please! im new to this. also remote viewing over the internet is a must

http://cgi.ebay.com/16Ch-120-frame-C...QQcmdZViewItem
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

I have seen some cracking pc/104 based capture cards but they are pricey and you need an SBC or a pci-pc/104 adapter to use them.

Comment

I'd ask the seller for the specifications and manual on that card before buying.
      Most of those budget (read HK) capture cards will only support 320x240 capture, and all of them share the frame rates. So, if you used 8 cameras, across the 120 frames per second, your capture is 15 fps on each, or less than half of real time.
      Another thing to consider is the huge drain on your system with 8 cameras connected, and recording.
      A nice feature of that card is split screen, and it's video out will record the split screen images on a vcr. If you had a time lapse recoreder with say a 240 hr or longer tape, you could record 10 days+ before rewinding.
      Bottom line: you get what you pay for. IMO, if you are looking for an 8 cam security setup for low $$, don't expect anything decent.

Comment

Oh, and for hdd space, rule of thumb with the cams, 1gb per hour of recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity
          Oh, and for hdd space, rule of thumb with the cams, 1gb per hour of recording.
          per camera???

also im not trying to go a cheap way. thats why im asking for your advice.
          also is 120 fps bad? help me find something that will support 8 cameras and atleast have 1 video out so that i can put it toward the big tv in the front of the store

Comment

what if i got 2 of these cards? will the fps improve?

Comment

I am using one of these on my house.

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital_surveillance.htm

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
                per camera???

also im not trying to go a cheap way. thats why im asking for your advice.
                also is 120 fps bad? help me find something that will support 8 cameras and atleast have 1 video out so that i can put it toward the big tv in the front of the store
                no, the hdd space would be across all cameras.
                as for the frame rate, if you are using only 4 cameras, then no, 120fps is not bad at all, as long as you either A, don't require high quality video, or B, won't be using all the inputs on the card.

like I said, the 120fps that the seller quotes is shared across all cameras. So 120/8 = 15fps recording per camera, 120/4= 30fps recording per camera, etc etc.

Consider this: when you watch tv, a dvd, vhs tape, etc you are viewing that show, movie, sports, whatever @ 30fps. if you record at 25fps, you won't notice the lag too much, if at all. but @ 15fps, video will look more like a set of pictures taken by a pro. photographer using a camera w/ a high speed advance (like you see when they photo models, you know, zzzm, zzzm, zzzm, you get the idea)

Another thing to factor in when it comes to the play back of video recorded in low fps is the refresh rate of your monitor. A regular TV has a refresh rate of 60hz (60 times a second) while your pc monitor is set anywhere from 50-85hz depending on your settings.

ever see survalence video on the news? you know, where the bad guy is filmed walking through the door, gun in hand, yada, yada. Ever notice how the guy can walk 20 feet in 3 steps? this appears because of the low fps the surv. system was recording at.

Now, if you were to use 2 cards, and say 4 cams on each, you will be golden on the image, as you will be @ 30fps. But, you now double the work load on your pc.

IMHO, I would build a seperate pc just for the cameras.

I will discuss this with a security coleague of mine, and get his opinion on what equipment he recommends.

More later

Comment

ok im going to get 2 of the cards. you said to build a seperate pc just for the cameras? well thats the only purpose of the pc is for the cameras. and maybe the occasional bank statement or mp3car.com if im bored. the computers sole purpose is for these cameras. motorcity so far youve been awesome help! now recommend me some nice cameras. i need 4 indoor ceiling mount that are nice and clear and 4 outdoor cameras that will show me all the crackheads taking a **** by my back door and the punk *** kids who throw rocks at my car.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyaswell
                    I am using one of these on my house.

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital_surveillance.htm
                    1. If you want to use the computer as well I think you would have to get one with a real time card as what you see on your screen would be displayed on your 42" screen

2. I dont think you can run two seperate cards on one pc.

3. These cards can be set up to view all the time but only record if there is any movement in the camera view and if you have 8 cam card at 120 fps and only 4 cams are picking up movement say at any given time they will record at 30 fps at that time as they share the frame rate.This card can also record sound.You can also view cams from over the internet or mobile phone.

Give them a ring and get the right facts tell them what you want it to do as the features of the software is endless.

Comment

I have used one of the cheap HK cards from ebay and all I can say is that it is ok........at best. I was able to do much better with it when I purchased some other software (the software that was included was junk (burned cd) and the cd also had a virus on it.

The card was good (4 channel) but the software was crap.

As for outputting to the tv up front you could add a second video card on your pc (with tv out) and output the security stuff on the tv out to the front. Then the pc in the back could be used as a normal pc. In order to do it with XP though you would have to find one of the video cards that will do dual display.

Oh yeah stay away from the X10 cameras unless you want some junk. The black/white ones are ok if they are indoors but all the camera's (except mabey the newest low light ones) suck outside. I setup a system for video capture at our house one time with the 4 port card and 4x10 cameras. Then I quickly upgraded the camera's.

Just my .02 though

c-ya
                      Chris
                      -----------------------------
                      Dell P2 400 Laptop (reworked)
                      GPS Mouse -w- Iguidence
                      802.11 Realtek PCMCIA Network card
                      Custom Laptop Stand

www.chrisrowland.com
                      ------------------------------

Comment

ok im going to get 2 of the cards. you said to build a seperate pc just for the cameras? well thats the only purpose of the pc is for the cameras. and maybe the occasional bank statement or mp3car.com if im bored. the computers sole purpose is for these cameras. motorcity so far youve been awesome help! now recommend me some nice cameras. i need 4 indoor ceiling mount that are nice and clear and 4 outdoor cameras that will show me all the crackheads taking a **** by my back door and the punk *** kids who throw rocks at my car.

here are some links:

8 channel card, 240fps

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-ch-Channel-DVR...QQcmdZViewItem

indoor cams

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-1-3-CCD-CCT...QQcmdZViewItem

outdoor cams w/ir leds

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Color-Day-N...QQcmdZViewItem

when selecting a camera, I suggest you use a CCD camera, not a CMOS. The ccd is more expensive but will give a better image and will be of better quality.

I am not affilated with the above referenced seller, just pointing out some decent hardware for you to look at.

Comment

yeah i know to stay away from cmos lol. ccd for me. i bid on this card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CCTV-PTZ-16-Chan...QQcmdZViewItem

and im thinking about getting these cameras because they are simular to the ones i have now and they seem to be good quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lemansind-Mini-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

im about to buy these cameras for the inside of the store. tell me what you think before i do.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

Comment

yeah i know to stay away from cmos lol. ccd for me. i bid on this card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CCTV-PTZ-16-Chan...QQcmdZViewItem

and im thinking about getting these cameras because they are simular to the ones i have now and they seem to be good quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lemansind-Mini-C...QQcmdZViewItem
                              Lemans cam seems decent, spec wise. As long as the seller isn't inflating the resolution (420 lines). A tv is 525 lines, so anything less from a camera will appear blurry, even if just slightly.

The dvr card? I can't say either way, but what the hell right? give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X