Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need hard drive help (home PC)

Hey all,
    I just got a new 250GB HD to go in my home PC. I am replacing my backup 80GB HD. How do I hook this up to transfer the files from the 80 to the 250? Both are IDE. The 80 only has media on it, doesn't run the OS or anything like that.

I think I can hook the new one up on the IDE that my DVD drives are on, make it a third HD, and transfer files that way, but what will happen when I take the other drive out and switch the new one to its IDE spot?

Thanks,
    ed.
    Spent so far: $1,755
    Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Don't mess with Texas.
    It's not nice to pick on retards!

Originally posted by edrex
    I think I can hook the new one up on the IDE that my DVD drives are on, make it a third HD, and transfer files that way, but what will happen when I take the other drive out and switch the new one to its IDE spot?
    That would work just fine. Once you switch out the 80 and move the 250 into its spot then Windows will just load up your boot drive and the 250. Should be painless.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Thanks Monkyman!
      Going to attempt it tomorrow.
      Cheers.
      Spent so far: $1,755
      Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
      CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
      Don't mess with Texas.
      It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Working...
      X