AMD Socket 939 Processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Socket 939 Processor

DO all AMD Socket 939 CPU's come with a Retention Mechanism and Cooler Plate? DOes it come with the Heatsink/fan?

Is the retention mechanism and cooler plate a must?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case

Mine came with just the CPU.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

There are two terms to know here:

Retail - This includes the box, heatsink and fan. I recommend this because the heatsink and fan is to manufacturer spec (be it AMD or Intel), and thus will probably cool more efficiently than another fan you might buy.

OEM - This will save you anywhere from 10-70 bucks, but it only has the processor. This is usually what you get when you find the cheapest deal possible on pricewatch.
      Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
      Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
      sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
        There are two terms to know here:

Retail - This includes the box, heatsink and fan. I recommend this because the heatsink and fan is to manufacturer spec (be it AMD or Intel), and thus will probably cool more efficiently than another fan you might buy.

OEM - This will save you anywhere from 10-70 bucks, but it only has the processor. This is usually what you get when you find the cheapest deal possible on pricewatch.

Holy Crap! You obviously know nothing about real cooling. I have NEVER seen a Retail HSF that was any where close to as efficient as aftermarket coolers.

Cheekz, go to http://www.hardocp.com and look at their links page. Check out some of the cooling links and reviews.

I have been doing this a long time, and have built literally thousands of PCs. And this is one thing I can tell you as an absolute fact: Good cooling can and will extend the life and improve the performance of you PC.
        www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by blurp
          Holy Crap! You obviously know nothing about real cooling. I have NEVER seen a Retail HSF that was any where close to as efficient as aftermarket coolers.

Cheekz, go to http://www.hardocp.com and look at their links page. Check out some of the cooling links and reviews.

I have been doing this a long time, and have built literally thousands of PCs. And this is one thing I can tell you as an absolute fact: Good cooling can and will extend the life and improve the performance of you PC.

I much prefer getting an OEM chip and putting my own cooling on it.
          Installed.

Comment

And you also don't have to spend a fortune. 40 - 70 bucks will get you a very nice copper HSF and a tube of Arctic Silver. Take a look around at resellers, like http://newegg.com and look at the specs for HSFs that fit your socket.

I personally like the coolers with huge, slow, quiet fans sitting on top of heat pipes, because they do the actual cooling away from your CPU, and do it fairly quietly.
            www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

You stole the words outta my mouth... lol

I have Dual AMD Opterons 244s (940) and the OEM cooling was horrible... it was keeping my CPUs at a crazy 60-65C (yes C) .... so I got aftermarket ones and they brought it down at least 10C... I still think they are too hot but o well...

-Emo

Comment

I wasn't referring to the higher performance cooling systems. Yes, the aftermarket has some very good cooling products, HOWEVER, if you buy OEM and cheap out on the heatsink and fan you will wind up with one that provides inadequate cooling. And the fact is, most people do cheap out on this.

Don't think retail fans are junk either. Except for maybe a few incidents from early Intel and AMD, you shouldn't need to find a different fan and heatsink. They provide a cooling system that will cause the processor to work at the level they want. Sure you can get a better cooling system, and it will add to the life of your processor, but the processor is more likely to die of obsoletism first.

sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

I wasn't referring to the higher performance cooling systems. Yes, the aftermarket has some very good cooling products, HOWEVER, if you buy OEM and cheap out on the heatsink and fan you will wind up with one that provides inadequate cooling. And the fact is, most people do cheap out on this.

Don't think retail fans are junk either. Except for maybe a few incidents from early Intel and AMD, you shouldn't need to find a different fan and heatsink. They provide a cooling system that will cause the processor to work at the level they want. Sure you can get a better cooling system, and it will add to the life of your processor, but the processor is more likely to die of obsoletism first.
                  In that case buying an OEM CPU and purchasing a cheaper heatsink/fan would be even better. Anything can keep a 939 cool enough to run if that is all you care about. Why pay for the overpriced retail one if you don't care about the life of your CPU?
                  Installed.

Comment

Originally posted by xBrady
                    In that case buying an OEM CPU and purchasing a cheaper heatsink/fan would be even better. Anything can keep a 939 cool enough to run if that is all you care about. Why pay for the overpriced retail one if you don't care about the life of your CPU?
                    If you can find one that exceeds the manufacturer's cooling system for cheaper, then great, go for it. I would however recommend you use retail unless you really know what cooling system you need.

Comment

Way to back-peddle. You have a great future in politics.

What about the level at which I want the processor to work? Keep talking, boy wonder. You're just strengthening my statements.
                      www.bradleyjacobs.com

Comment

I think that Cheekz185 needs to have his own thread (like lgbr does) just to ask all these computer related question, so we don't have like 15 different thread.
                        Installed
                        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Way to back-peddle. You have a great future in politics.

What about the level at which I want the processor to work? Keep talking, boy wonder. You're just strengthening my statements.
                          Back pedal? Even if you could spell it correctly it still wouldn't mean anything. Let's look over my original statement:
                          I say probably because:
                          And the fact is, most people do cheap out on this.
                          As I said before, I work in a computer store, we stock what sells, and what sells is the cheap fans. Kids come in, buy the OEM processor and tell me to grab the cheapest heatsink and fan that will clip onto the motherboard. No offense to Cheekz, but he is probably one of these guys, and I doubt he's going to take the time to go out and find an aftermarket fan that gets the job done right.

I don't know what your deal is, but you better cut this flaming ****, because it makes you nothing but an *******.

Comment

OOPS, sorry about my misspelling.

As for the flame, if you don't want flamed, don't make flame-worthy posts. And how about knowing what you're talking about before spewing bad information.

By the way, I don't care where you work. I owned the largest computer shop in middle Tennesse for 4 years, and I wrote my first bubble sort at the age of 9 on a Commodore 64. You don't want to compare resumes with me.

It is, however, interesting that you brag about stocking garbage at your employer's business.

But you are young, full of testosterone, and obviously have the whole world figured out, so I won't waste any more energy on you. I bet you still think your parents are idiots, too. Come find me in 10 years, after the real world has kicked you in the nuts a few times, and I bet you'll have a different attitude about a lot of things.
                            www.bradleyjacobs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro
                              I think that Cheekz185 needs to have his own thread (like lgbr does) just to ask all these computer related question, so we don't have like 15 different thread.

Haha I hear you on that one QUATTRO! I just like to make sure of things b4 I do it!
                              2002 Mitsubishi Galant
                              Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
                              Via M10K
                              512mb Ram
                              60GB HDD
                              Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
                              OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Working...
                              X